A new FS?

sford

This is the first thing I said, it will be on Xbox. No idea if your 63 million is correct but if it is, how many users do you think are under 20 years old? How many under 30 years old? How many sub 30 year olds want to sit there learning a fully fledged flight sim with 500 pages of manual to simply make a plane go up and then come down without even blowing anything up??? lol

I just can't understand how people can believe MSFS will be a sim built for post 50 year olds who can afford a super duper PC capable of running all these things they are wishing for. They make up 1% of the gaming market across PC and Xbox.

MS would be insane to release a fully fledged flight sim in today's world imo. I don't think we will ever see one again to be honest. The industry has changed. I think what everyone will be getting is a reworked FSW.

Time just can't move fast enough! lol

Two comments. First, I have used FSX for years for the purpose it was designed for, namely to simulate actual flight as closely as possible on a PC. If others want to call it a game, that's fine with me. I suppose practically any activity can be treated as a game, including flying a real plane (but I would not want to be a passenger in that plane, nor would ATC flight controllers want to have any such pilot in their airspace!)

Second, I could not care less whether I am in the 1% or the 0.001% of the "gaming market". If there is any point in quoting statistics like this (even if they bear any relation to reality, which is doubtful), it escapes me. But then I am over 50, and my mind isn't that sharp any more ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark, I understand your scepticism, we as a community have been burned before. It's also a little hard to take any new simulator having built on an existing ESP technology for so long. But the community and 3PD will get over this as they have every previous release of MSFS.

A few things to put you at ease.

1. We don't know who Microsoft has been talking to for an SDK but it's likely they have, of course we don't hear anything if they're under an NDA, we'll just have to wait and see.

2. It really doesn't matter about what people want regarding features, if they are in essence developing FSXI then many of the features people want can be developed further down the line, we just want an updated platform. Personally it's looking like it has a lot of features I desire already, I'm keen to see how the airport interaction will be especially ATC but these have been decent in previous MSFS titles in the past.

3. It does take a lot of time to develop a sim to the level of FSX. Do you believe they have started again from scratch? FSXI was in the works for 18 months before ACES was canned. There is a video on youtube by Kevin Miller previous from the ACES and Flight teams who shares some of what FSXI had. We also don't know how long FS 2020 has been in development.

There is a lot to be excited about, time will tell if it will replace P3D or X-Plane but even for people who want to continue with those sims this should be at worst a nice distraction and at best a new beginning...

I think what everyone will be getting is a reworked FSW.

Maybe, but I feel Microsoft have been working on this a lot longer than when Dovetail stopped. I'm thinking now Microsoft probably had something to do with this decision...

But not because they had some great ideas to improve FSW but because they wanted to bring some new technology to the market I.e. bing 3D cities and volumetric cloulds. Pretty sure too that the volumetric clouds which are much more impressive than what we've seen from trueSKY are not Simul trueSKY but from another studio or in house (after all Microsoft has a pretty big house...)