Please help me!

Oldynewby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is one more thing you can try:

At the base of this article are some registry entries you can kill. They shouldn't be there if you ran the registry cleaner but I would be checking if it were me. They may possibly be what you are looking for going by the article.

https://fsxinsider.com/transitioning-from-boxed-fsx-to-fsxse-part-1-fsx-stripback/

Mark Daniels

This is true for every windows from Vista on.

Exactly so, but it's not as simple to fix in Windows 10 as it was in earlier versions; to change some of the system settings in Windows 10 you have to be logged in as an Administrator even when you ARE logged in as an Administrator - it's diabolical.

There are a few Console window hacks out there for changing Windows 10 DEP settings and so on with DOS commands, but should anyone really have to hack a Microsoft OS to run Microsoft software? In my own experience, the problem just returns when you re-start the PC anyway, because Windows 10 checks itself and automatically "repairs" the "damaged" files in the background without flagging any warnings - again, it's diabolical.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

His FSX install has nothing to do with DEP.

And turning off DEP is a terrible idea. You guys clearly do not have a clue about how DEP works.

Programs that are blocked by DEP are simply badly written. And should be blocked.\

Switching DEP off to run them anyway will do damage to your system.

Look up online what DEP does if interested. But leave it on.

Many reg cleaner programs do more bad then good.

Some are benign, like for example CCleaner's reg cleaner.

But the thing you used is dangerous. It can remove much more then you want.

For this, no reg cleaner was needed. Other then the utility made by microsoft. Kb928080. Now available as resetsldl.exe on FlyAwaySimulation.com. This utility was made by microsoft specifically to remove only the FSX reg. entries, and nothing else. To keep your system intact and allow you to install FSX again.

Again, nothing else is needed.

The whole Win10 hate stories here are bull as well. FSX installs and runs just fine on Win10.

Do not believe all the terror stories.

Just install, and enjoy.:D

Happy Flights!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wish I could!!

Plenty of reading there to catch up on, let's see what happens next...

You know, I use Windows 7 and I've never had a disagreement with another Windows 7 user over Windows 7. These Win 10 guys are at each other all the time. I think that says it all. lol

Anyhow, I'll leave it there before I get hate mail. Good luck...again.

Mark Daniels

His FSX install has nothing to do with DEP.

I did not say it was. Just using that as an example of the security issues older progreams face in newer OS.

And turning off DEP is a terrible idea. You guys clearly do not have a clue about how DEP works.

Programs that are blocked by DEP are simply badly written. And should be blocked.\

Switching DEP off to run them anyway will do damage to your system.

I know exactly how it works; it is a good idea in theory but is too aggressive in practice, and makes no allowances for older software written before its day, nor for any user intervention/control (the latter an increasing issue with each new version of windows ...the next version may still allow us to select our own wallpaper). When Micro$oft's security measures become so procrustean they do not allow valid software to run, and provide no simple provision for the user to make the final decision, it's time to disable them. I have done so on every windows system I've had for over ten years, with no ill effects.

Some are benign, like for example CCleaner's reg cleaner.

Probably the choice of most. I use it but made no specific recommendation since that usually hijacks a thread into a discussion of a half dozen alternatives and why each is "best".

The whole Win10 hate stories here are bull as well.

That depends on which stories you read and how you view your computer. I will never use W10 because it has removed too much user control and too many configuration options, and its privacy is certainly controversial. (When an OS wants to update not just itself but everything on my system, and I have no input much less control, it's time to reconsider.)

Quote: ''..the next version may still allow us to select our own wallpaper).''

Wow I didn't know you had Win 10 issues with that. Or any Win version. I use IrFanview's

'Options/Set As Wallpaper' to make any image my wallpaper and my Win version doesn't even

know I did it (probably because I did not ask for IT'S permission - ha!).

And as for CCCleaner. It sucks. What I personally have used for years is IO Bit Uninstaller. It

keeps track of every file (including registry files) a program makes and when uninstalling

a specific program it KNOWS which files (and registry 'changes') that program made so

it's precise as to what it removes (or 'cleans'). Precise and Exact.

I would never use Win 10 because it 'calls home' with all sorts of information (user is not

aware it does that) and THAT is not what I paid money for. It's not a 'privacy' issue, it's a

personal choice issue. Why would I expect to not be 'dis-respected' by Microsoft if I was

dumb and un-educated concerning Win 10 'ways'. There's got to be a limit. I stay away.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Not only do not install in any "Program Files" folder, but run the installer as administrator and run FS as administrator; you may also need compatibility mode. Do not install any controllers yet, fire up FS, set all the cfg menu items, then try a quick default flight with keyboard control; you don't need to go anywhere, just fly around a couple of minutes to ascertain FS is working properly. Then add your controllers.

Always take things a step at a time, checking in FS each time, then if something goes wrong you know to suspect the last thing added.

And in my experience, always reboot your PC even after minor changes to the config file

Oldynewby,

If you are still at this and haven't gone the format route check my link in post #52.

From another post made at this site and AVSIM, it appears it is a registry entry that specifically tells the installer FSX is still on your system that you likely missed. The article I linked seems to suggest the registry entry you specifically need to remove. I would be trying it.

Mark Daniels

Oldynewby,

If you are still at this and haven't gone the format route check my link in post #52.

From another post made at this site and AVSIM, it appears it is a registry entry that specifically tells the installer FSX is still on your system that you likely missed. The article I linked seems to suggest the registry entry you specifically need to remove. I would be trying it.

Mark,

I'd already tried that, but I just tried it again, perhaps with a little more understanding, and everything's just the same.

As I see it there are two options open to me in order to put this thing to bed; reset Windows 10 or partition my hard drive and install Windows XP.

At the moment I'm favouring the XP route. I've got the drive space, all of my addons will run on XP and I'm much more familiar with the OS. I've never partitioned a hard drive before and I need to read up on dual booting but I'm willing to risk it.

What do you think?

Paul.

Paul,

You can just format and go with Win 10. After a format, you really should not have problems installing.

In saying this, I am absolutely not a fan of Win 10 and many here are. While you can argue it's ok for FSX or FS9 it likely is, "for now."

However, for certain add-on compatibility possibly and certainly many other games, especially older ones, there are things that simply do not work on Win 10.

Dual booting with XP, really not sure. I'd have to do some research before I'd answer that one.

If it were me, I'd be formatting and loading up Win 7 but that direction I wouldn't recommend for everyone especially as time goes on.

Hard choice for you to make or for me to give you a definitive answer as there are so many variables.

Mark Daniels

It's a difficult choice but my reasoning is that I don't use the computer for anything else, all of my addons are XP compatible and, frankly, I can't be arsed any more with Windows 10 and its many foibles. There's nothing I really need Windows 10 for as I use a Mac for everything else. I think I'll just walk away for now and think about it, I've already spent too much time on it.

I'll probably do a W10 reset first then if it's still playing silly buggers I'll start a small partition with XP.

Thanks for all your help and input Mark, and everyone else. I'll take a few days away now then come back, hopefully with renewed vigour, once I've made up my mind.

Cheers all,

Paul.

Did you manually go into the registry and delete the files pertaining to FSX?

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Well, there's been some progress. I reset Windows, electing to keep my files and FSX started to load, however it quit before loading had finished, giving me these messages.

The 1722 error came first then, when I closed the window the 1603 error came afterwards. Can I clear these now or should I go for a full Windows reset?

Thanks.

Paul

Microsoft Flight Simulator X - InstallShield Wizard 11_04_2019 13_00_15.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator X - InstallShield Wizard 11_04_2019 12_58_42.png

Thanks Mr Z. I think I might still have that file from before the reset, I'll check it out.

BTW As an XP user what's your opinion on me setting up an XP partition to run FSX?

I have no reservations about XP other than the limitations of RAM memory and my own computer's CPU.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have no reservations about XP other than the limitations of RAM memory and my own computer's CPU.

Yes, 4GB is a bit light in this day and age...

Some more progress: I've reset Windows and now FSX loads, but not completely. As before I get the 1722 error followed by the 1603 and the installation crashes. I ran MSkb928080 and resetsldl but it didn't work, said it was unable to clear the tokens. I chased the filepath given by resetsldl and the SLDL folder was empty. Clearly it's looking for something (a token) in there to delete but there's nothing there and now there's no history of anything ever being there.

I know that resetsldl is the standard fix for a faulty deluxe install but surely others have tried a clean install, either after a reset or completely fresh and got things working. What am I doing wrong?

Egsjr1956, I did clean the registry with CC Cleaner before the reset and it took away some FSX stuff but it's totally clean now.

When you ran Kb928080 did not result in the SUCCESS! message because you did not run it from an Administrator Command Prompt.

Right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

Run kb928080 from that and it will work. After the "SUCCESS!" message, Reboot!

(then reinstall)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you ran Kb928080 did not result in the SUCCESS! message because you did not run it from an Administrator Command Prompt .

Right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

Run kb928080 from that and it will work. After the "SUCCESS!" message, Reboot!

(then reinstall)

I thought I had run it as administrator but I tried again and still the same result. So I rebooted and tried again, still no luck. Should I be downloading the .zip file fresh every time or do I just need to clean something out?

Thanks,

Paul.

BTW You mention the Administrator Command Prompt. Is this different to the standard command prompt? Sorry if it's a bone question but I'm not really into command line stuff.

Well it's loaded! I searched online to find how to open the command prompt as admin and I tried mskb928080 again - success! Thanks il88p! After a quick reboot FSX is now running on my computer, only thing is I've loaded Standard instead of Deluxe. No worries, I'll play with this for a bit, at least until I get a bit competent.

If I want to upgrade in future will FSX Acceleration bring Standard up to full speed (Service Packs) or do I need to install Deluxe first? It's not going to happen for a good while yet, I'm just curious.

Thanks to everybody for all their help along the way. It was one step forward, two steps back for a while but we killed it in the end.

Thanks again,

Paul

Well it's loaded! I searched online to find how to open the command prompt as admin and I tried mskb928080 again - success! Thanks il88p! After a quick reboot FSX is now running on my computer, only thing is I've loaded Standard instead of Deluxe. No worries, I'll play with this for a bit, at least until I get a bit competent.

If I want to upgrade in future will FSX Acceleration bring Standard up to full speed (Service Packs) or do I need to install Deluxe first? It's not going to happen for a good while yet, I'm just curious.

Thanks to everybody for all their help along the way. It was one step forward, two steps back for a while but we killed it in the end.

Thanks again,

Paul

Yay!

Mark Daniels

Archived