What is the best processor and graphics card for FSX?

Hey flight simmers,

If you look at my sig, I do NOT have the best specs for FSX at all, and I'm definitely figuring on getting a new processor and graphics card for FSX. But what are the best processors and graphics cards for running FSX on?

TheAviationEnthusiast

I've been an experienced FSX player for two years now, and an enthusiast forever. Be sure to check out my blog on here, I blog daily about everything aviation!

Specs: Windows 10, Intel Celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz, 1993 Mhz, RAM 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics

Hey flight simmers,

If you look at my sig, I do NOT have the best specs for FSX at all, and I'm definitely figuring on getting a new processor and graphics card for FSX. But what are the best processors and graphics cards for running FSX on?

TheAviationEnthusiast

I9 and GTX 2080.

But it does depend on all other aspects of the system, not JUST CPU and GPU. Your system will need complete replacement, including SSD and matched RAM, with a power supply to suit.

Hi AvationEnthusiast,

As Mallcott says, you will need to consider a completely new system, though perhaps the i9 with an RTX2080 are complete overkill for FSX, may I suggest an i7 8700k (8thGen) or i7 7700k (7thGen) with perhaps a GTX1660 or (Ti) with plenty of onboard/dedicated DDR6 VRAM (newest 1000 series Nvidia card) even an older 1000 series DDR5 VRAM card GTX1060 GTX1070 GTX1080, - (Ti) would be preferred if you can accommodate the expense. A new modern technology MOBO including modern UEFI bios, 16Gb DDR4 (above +2400MHz) Dual /Dual Dual or Quad channel) even though FSX only uses 4Gb VAS - (8Gb RAM is recommended for 64bit OS and FSX) (16Gb preferable) (32Gb+ is overkill) unless utilised with unlimited Tb VAS 64bit P3Dv4) advantage is the OS + other addons and running background programs will be able to use the additional Gigs of RAM without compromising FSX or OS into the slow swapfile address.

Although the future of PC graphics is heading toward sophisticated lighting effects, some features of the RTX 2000 series (ie; RayTracing) are not used within FSX. Other software titles may in time include the usage of this effect but its early days in with this tech, it does what its supposed to but you would be paying a premium for it if your intent is to use FSX as your flight sim into the immediate future.

Having said that, if you are indeed an enthusiast you might prefer P3D v4 64bit or the next version 5 as your sim of choice given the availability of modern hardware with much improved performance and capacity for future use and better upgrade options within the current generation of PC's.

Now if you are really a risk taker and want more bang for your buck AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Radeon Graphics maybe more to your liking & finance, although I have no experience with these brands/hardware type at all, most Flight simmers normally go with Intel and Nvidia combo for overall compatibility with FSX/P3D. The AMD option of past moons seemed to have difficulty with drivers and graphics shaders in our beloved 32bit FSX and P3Dv3, though maybe not so with 64bit P3Dv4, XP11 or AFS2.

FSX being a 32bit program is heavily reliant on having the best CPU performance per-core that can be afforded along with GHz above 4.2 even the ability to Overclock these days is as important (meaning - either turbo speed or unlocked CPU chip "K version for Overclocking" cooling will also be important for any CPU overclock situation, fan & heatsink or AIO (Water cooling). New hardware will mean sourcing/installing reasonably fast high capacity RAM, preferably above 1600 1800 2400MHz DDR3 16 - 32Gb, though 32bit FSX only uses 4Gb max (VAS) you will find modern ram only available as DDR4 Quad or Dual Channel mostly above 2400Mhz.

My 6yr old system i74770K Quadcore Overclocked 4.6Ghz (Cooled by Noctua NH-D15 twin tower 2 fan heatsink) teamed with a GTX770 4Gb-O.C graphics, 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Ram, on an ASUS Z87 EXPERT Gen 4 MOBO, powered by a 860Watt Gold 80+ CoolerMaster PSU, for me this seems to be the in the sweet spot for FSX performance with Maxed settings FSX/FPS Locked 32 many addons Orbx and relatively complex aircraft. I have FSX Gold AccPack Boxed version located on its own dedicated 1Tb SATA drive 7200RPM and still run Win7/64Pro as the OS 500Gb SATA 7200RPM. All my drives are SATA connected (5 SATA internal and 2 USB external).

Though you will not likely find these older Gen4 components assembled or available in modern systems of todays Generation PC's, you will need to see what level hardware you can buy with your finances, performance requirements and future software use.

I do not use SSD drives, though it is always an option for faster system boot. There are still some good arguments for mechanical drives where cost vs speed and capacity are weighed in the balance.

Going by the generation and specification of your current system, it is way under budget performance wise for it to effectively run FSX stock (no addons) at reasonable smoothness and FPS.

Overall, technology has changed considerably, Intel now @ Gen8 & Gen9 and Nvidia at @ 1000 & 2000 series.

Even your current disk drives may only be IDE connected, modern drives are SATA connected SSD's or M.2 PCIe, though you can still buy high capacity (Gb) mechanical SATA Drives (Spinning Disk type) 7,200RPM not the slower 5,400RPM (don't install slow 5400RPM drives they are a waste of money), 10,000RPM is best but they are rare and more expensive per Gb, modern motherboards do not even have IDE connectors anymore so your old drives may not even find a connection block in a new system MOBO. Powering the new rig will also be important so you will need a suitable PSU with enough grunt (Watts) to drive the components, you may as well get a nice new case to accommodate all this new gen hardware.

The type of replacement rig you will settle on will depend on your finances and performance requirements, and the other software titles you hope to use into the future. 64bit OS 64bit CPU, heck every component should be 64bit these days with the best performance your finances will allow.

Hey flight simmers,

TheAviationEnthusiast

As above, I'd also join in to say that there is no way to upgrade that system to a new CPU/GPU. You'll also need a new motherboard, RAM, PSU and probably a case. The bottom line is that you need a complete new system. Not the best of news but that's just the way it is.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

As above, I'd also join in to say that there is no way to upgrade that system to a new CPU/GPU. You'll also need a new motherboard, RAM, PSU and probably a case. The bottom line is that you need a complete new system. Not the best of news but that's just the way it is.

True, but I mean a new processor and graphics card is a START, right?

I've been an experienced FSX player for two years now, and an enthusiast forever. Be sure to check out my blog on here, I blog daily about everything aviation!

Specs: Windows 10, Intel Celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz, 1993 Mhz, RAM 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics

I too think you need a new machine, case and all. If you build it yourself, it will probably save a lot of money (often when components are on sale). If not, there are a few good companies that advertise here, and on the other big sim site, that will build a gaming PC to your exact specs...

I myself bought a new gaming PC from one of those companies a little more than three years ago, and have been satisfied with it so far (it was almost state of the art back then - not so much now).

True, but I mean a new processor and graphics card is a START, right?

No. It could be the end, if the rest of the system isn't up to snuff.

Without an appropriate power supply unit, neither will work.

The choice of SSD or HD needs to be made as the operating advantages to SSD are proven for FSX/OS operation

RAM needs careful matching with the system

And it's all dependant on a matched CPU motherboard.

Do NOT consider the processor and Graphic Card in isolation or you could be left with a pile of scrap.

As W2DR says: That's the way it IS.

Aviation Enthusiast,

Your location show as "The Big Apple", which I take it mean New York City. I don't know if they have Micro Center branches there, but when I lived near Denver Micro Center was a very good place to shop.

I am out of touch with the U.S. mail order market now, living in Germany, but others might have opinions there.

You will need a good case (Corsair is a good brand, IMHO), a powerful power supply (900 W at least), RAM - get at least 16 GB (or more, you may want to run P3D sometime) of 4200 MHz-rated (or higher), at least an i7 7700K (the K version of whatever you end up choosing because it can be overclocked), a good motherboard (I use an Asus Z170-A, but maybe a Z270 or Z370 would be better).... and so on and so on et cetera et cetera yada yada.....

And, as you can see, you need to make a BUDGET!!!!

Just a few thoughts -

Jorgen

I bought a new rig last weekend. As you can see in my signature line. FSX now locked at 30fps with everything set according to instructions in my addons (almost maxed just a few sliders they recommend set for certian effects) and it runs like a dream! Got more stuff to do but this rig is holding its own!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aviation Enthusiast,

Your location show as "The Big Apple", which I take it mean New York City. I don't know if they have Micro Center branches there, but when I lived near Denver Micro Center was a very good place to shop.

I am out of touch with the U.S. mail order market now, living in Germany, but others might have opinions there.

You will need a good case (Corsair is a good brand, IMHO), a powerful power supply (900 W at least), RAM - get at least 16 GB (or more, you may want to run P3D sometime) of 4200 MHz-rated (or higher), at least an i7 7700K (the K version of whatever you end up choosing because it can be overclocked), a good motherboard (I use an Asus Z170-A, but maybe a Z270 or Z370 would be better).... and so on and so on et cetera et cetera yada yada.....

And, as you can see, you need to make a BUDGET!!!!

Just a few thoughts -

Jorgen

Thanks for telling me what I need! I am considering getting a new system.

If you can build it yourself - and I did that myself with my own system - then shop around for the various parts. Most of mine came from a German mail order house (Alternate.de if any Germans are interested, and they also have a Dutch branch at Alternate.nl), but some parts (power supply, DVD drive and SSDs) were bought on sale at a local retail store.

Jorgen

Decades ago, someone said the ideal PC for *anything* ALWAYS costs $2500 US.

Decades later, I am finding that to be true still.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Archived