IFR Landing Denied

usb777

Why is it that sometimes when asking permission to land at an airport, without a flight plan of course I get a response that landing is denied airport is under IFR.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

This has happened to me before when I fail to realize the airport I'm going to is under IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) looking at the weather in AS16 and file a flight plan to fly IFR. What I do is flip the bird, :D and land anyway. When I pull off the runway and turn onto the taxiway I then ask ground for parking. They'll happily oblige like there was no FAA violation or anything.

What the Sim is trying to do is mimic real-life procedures when there is absence of a flight plan to conduct IFR flying. But the Sim is really, really bad at real-life procedures as it is and when I get the airport is closed crap I just land anyway.

Now note if you happen to make your own flight plans for AI, you'll want to use the IFR flag in the plan. If you don't and they are VFR and the airport they are trying to land at is in IMC, they'll constantly request landing and circle the airport making your landing with the constant radio traffic highly annoying. Plus the AI plane won't land.

Why is it that sometimes when asking permission to land at an airport, without a flight plan of course I get a response that landing is denied airport is under IFR.

Yes, that's because the weather is below minima. Either file IFR and land or fly to the alternate.

As mallcott says, it's because the field is under IFR (Instrument Flight Rules). Without an instrument flight plan you must be VFR, and the weather must be VMC (Visual Meteorological Conditions), basically ceiling at least 1,000 feet AGL and visibility at least 3 miles. So you need to go to where it is VFR or file an IFR plan.

That's a real world response, as well as a sim response.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Ah, Thanks. Guess I need to start filing a flight plan.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Archived