F-4E Phantom II

adamb

I never worked on the E Model, mostly N, J, and S models. Still, very nice pictures indeed!

It's even almost as dirty as real Phantoms got :D

One thing, if I may be so bold: I don't know about the Navy, but I'll presume procedures are pretty similar between the Marines, and the Navy. Anywho, we always put the Huffer out in front of the port wing, and there was an electrician stationed under the bird, during the start, to pull the external power breakers, and then the cable once the plane started OK.

The reason for the Huffer (the big green box in the first pic. Had a small jet engine in it, and an alternator for external power. The jet's bleed air would be used for the start) being out front was for a hot start, or a wet start. A hot start would fire a really nifty looking, and pretty big, fireball off down the flightline from the tailpipe. You didn't want the huffer, or the guy operating it, and yes, I could, and did operate them a few times, to be in the fireball's path. BAD ju-ju...

Scared the HECK out of the poor guy under the plane, too. Trust me, it was startling, and very scary.

Other than all that, Phantastic Phantom Photos! Thanks Phor posting them :D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The reason for the Huffer (the big green box in the first pic. Had a small jet engine in it, and an alternator for external power. The jet's bleed air would be used for the start) being out front was for a hot start, or a wet start. A hot start would fire a really nifty looking, and pretty big, fireball off down the flightline from the tailpipe. You didn't want the huffer, or the guy operating it, and yes, I could, and did operate them a few times, to be in the fireball's path. BAD ju-ju...

Perhaps this is already simulated in a way -- the cart DOES appear to be curiously hovering a few inches above the pavement in that one. :)

Uich gwennen na'wanath ah na dhin,

an uich gwennen na ringyrn ambar hen.

Perhaps this is already simulated in a way -- the cart DOES appear to be curiously hovering a few inches above the pavement in that one. :)

Actually an optical delusion. The Huffer is actually to the rear of the wing and the tires are on the ground.;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Rick - thank you much. :)

Zippy - No, now he's running around with an ice pick puncturing tires. :D

Jan - Thanks, but it doesn't look so good with flat tires. :mad:

Gérard - thank you. :)

Larry - Saw alot of them myself along with the A-7 Corsair and F-8 Crusader.

Pat - Interesting info on the Huffer. I was in the Navy, but on a amphipious assault, nrver was around them. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived