Cannot unzip a file from library

TKessel

I thought I would fly up the Amazon and found terrain mesh for South America here. Unfortunately, one of the files I need is meshx_c3.zip and although I was able to download it OK and the properties of the file show it is 15.3 MB in size, the Win 10 unzipper says it's empty and can't unzip it. I can't find this file anywhere else. Is there a resolution for this?

Thanks, Ted

I thought I would fly up the Amazon and found terrain mesh for South America here. Unfortunately, one of the files I need is meshx_c3.zip and although I was able to download it OK and the properties of the file show it is 15.3 MB in size, the Win 10 unzipper says it's empty and can't unzip it. I can't find this file anywhere else. Is there a resolution for this?

Thanks, Ted

Assuming you downloaded the file correctly, have you tried a different unzipper? I suggest

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Any MS OS from Vista onward does not need a special compression program to extract it. Open the zip just like you do any folder in explorer and drag the file into another window open to where you want the file to reside. I noticed the file is for FS2004 (FS9) and very very old (2006.) The zip itself for S America is pretty large 36 megs. I'm downloading the file to see how it goes.

-Pv-

File extracts for me fine. Suggest use the Windows OS and not a third party zipper. It's just not needed unless you need to extract non-zip files.

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Any MS OS from Vista onward does not need a special compression program to extract it. Open the zip just like you do any folder in explorer and drag the file into another window open to where you want the file to reside. I noticed the file is for FS2004 (FS9) and very very old (2006.) The zip itself for S America is pretty large 36 megs. I'm downloading the file to see how it goes.

-Pv-

H'mm, the unzipped file on my desktop, in "Properties" is 15.3 MB. Something isn't right. - Ted

Well, I'm glad I stopped after only 5 downloads, as this terrain mesh seems to have no effect on the FSX scenery. - Ted

Any instructions included with the downloads to adjust scenery sliders in your Sim? Mesh slider right or left?

I just answered my own question....Yes there are slider adjustment procedures in the README!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Any instructions included with the downloads to adjust scenery sliders in your Sim? Mesh slider right or left?

I just answered my own question....Yes there are slider adjustment procedures in the README!

My settings were already pretty close to the read me, though I just made one adjustment. Right now I'm flying the Beaver in a very flat area of the Amazon. I'll check again once it gets more hilly. It's also possible that I already have some terrain mesh from FSGenesis that was active in this area. I'll double check that once I get away from the flats.

- Ted

This is a common problem converting FS9 scenery to FSX. The water is too shallow. Remember this scenery is almost 13 years old and at that time, developers were still getting used to the differences in FSX and changing the scenery to fit FSX well would have taken a lot of work. Many people did not bother.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I am a bit puzzled, as when I turn off the 3rd party terrain mesh for this area, it stays the same, so I suspect it is part of the default scenery. The other puzzling part is why does the 3rd party terrain mesh not fix this. About 5 miles east of SBSN in Brazil.

I remember a "mountain" in the default scenery in (I think) FS9, near Memphis, TN.

Here's another view. - Ted

Amazon2.jpg

If you haven't used FSX for very long, it's a 13 year old program and there are altitude errors all over the world. Hundreds of them. The only way to "fix" them (if ever) is to use NEWER scenery designed to correct these problems in addition to providing enhanced detail over the original.

The 13 year old FS9 scenery you layered over this area is not going to "fix" problems with the original FSX scenery.

-Pv-

Regardless of what Paul says, FS9 mesh works fine in FSX.

FSX can use higher resolution mesh than FS9.

Ted, it is an anomaly in default FSX.

I see a couple reasons why the addon mesh did not fix it.

For one, the file you linked to in your OP covers grid C3 on the enclosed map. This area is covered in grid D3.

Also, the anomaly is not a mesh problem, it is a water poly elevation error. It is unlikely that the addon mesh will fix it.

One of the challenges of using addon mesh is that it can create water bodies on plateaus or in holes because the mesh only affects land. Fixing all of those issues is a lot of work, more than most people will do for free.

Sometimes the prudent action is to ignore those anomalies as if they are not there.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks, StringBean,

I do have the D3 area mesh, but the original problem I had was getting the C3 zip file to open.

Agree that it is most likely a water elevation error, as seen in the attached image.

My plan now is to ignore any further anomalies. Not interested in fixing it, as I have retired from any scenery work for FS. (I've been at it since FS 5.)

I am a bit disappointed that the area along the Amazon didn't get a bit more attention for the default scenery. I can find a few freeware airports for Brazil, and if I were to fly there a lot, I'd add them.

But I just want to get up-river as far as I can.

I once flew the Nile from Alexandria through Egypt and Sudan, up to the headwaters, although towards the end it was getting harder to be sure I was flying along the right area.

Later, Ted

Amazon3.jpg

I once flew the Amazon in a GA plane from the mouth to nearly 900 miles inland in default scenery going from strip to strip along the way. I didn't have any significant problems.

Plan looks like this in Amphibian:

amazon1.jpg

amazon.jpg

-Pv-

I wanted to fly the Beaver only about 1000' above ground level right along the Amazon. Did well with this, landing on the river near airstrips to refuel, until I got to the approach on the way to SBSM Santarem, where I began to notice "anomalies." Now trying to fly further up the river, it looks like the scenery in this area was not completed, like someone was going to get back to it, but didn't. The Amazon starts to disappear, and finally does. Looking at the map ahead, there is a large gap of "no river," and then it starts up again. This is part of the fun of this trip I did not anticipate!

Amazon4.jpg

Amazon5.jpg

Amazon6.jpg

Amazon7.jpg

Archived