Best gaming pc opinion

Prostock

Looking to upgrade to a new PC. Used mostly for Gaming, Scrolling websites, email & personal business transactions. I know it boils down to preference and my own personal choice. Keep in mind I don't need all the bells, whistles and latest greatest blah blah blah.

I would appreciate some input from all your expertise on the subject please. NO, I can't build my own & I don't have anyone local that I would trust to do this. I plan to buy from, yes, a big box store more than likely Dell as I've had my present PC for over 5 years & knock on wood, it's been great. So...........

Planning to buy another DESKTOP PC: What would you recommend to achieve the best Quality PC Processor Speed & Video Clarity.

CURRENT PC CONFIGURATION:

WINDOWS 10

DELL INSPIRON 3847

INTEL CORE i5-4460

CPU @ 3.20GHz

INSTALLED RAM 8.0 GB

GRAPHICS: Nvidia GeForce 750

You've got the same PC that I have, only I am running Windows 7 Pro. I am content with mine until it starts having issues and then I'm going to get serious like you are sounding! I do have a second HDD that I want to add to this one. Earlier this year, I purchased a 4tb Western Digital external HD that I can perform Image backups using Acronis software. Computer still runs like a champ, so it will do until........?

Rick :cool:

Rather than shopping for a brand-model, shop for the specs you want. Many new games are requiring 16G min sysram now. Don't feel trapped into Intel. You can save a lot of money and get uncompromising performance from AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripper. Over 6 cores is a waste of money.

Unless you are computing aero fluid dynamics or gene splicing, business applications, Office and Open Office will run on machines far less than the power of the machine you have now. Most gaming machines do these things in their sleep.

Yes, computers are very personal and every gamer believes he has the best system for the money.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

If - the big if - you mostly run FSX, then I would in your case stick with Intel and nVidia. I have an Intel i7-7700K running its native 4.2 GHz with a nVidia GTX 960 and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, and it runs fine. My stumbling block right now is the RAM at 2133 MHz, which I hopefully soon can upgrade to 3200 MHz.

But also, as Paul says, look into the Ryzen, and also the Intel i7-8086K - but then be prepared to spend serious money.

Jorgen

Rather than shopping for a brand-model, shop for the specs you want. Many new games are requiring 16G min sysram now. Don't feel trapped into Intel. You can save a lot of money and get uncompromising performance from AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripper. Over 6 cores is a waste of money.

Unless you are computing aero fluid dynamics or gene splicing, business applications, Office and Open Office will run on machines far less than the power of the machine you have now. Most gaming machines do these things in their sleep.

Yes, computers are very personal and every gamer believes he has the best system for the money.

-Pv-

Rick - Pv - Jorgen ------ Thank you for your honest input and suggestions. Am I correct that you all built your own machines?

I'm by no means close to a tech wizard and quite honestly, I have to employ my better half to help me figure out some of the simplest things.. So...

Here's my situation - My wife is pushing me to upgade, (I know, Lucky Guy) before my present PC craps out. She knows I've been talking gaming machine & YES, FSX is about it for games I play on PC, Maybe Madden Football once every blue moon. She has been looking at Dell Refurbished sales, they seem pretty reasonable. I just don't have allot of confidence in Refurbished but she swears by them as she's got some great deals & they've worked and lasted as good and long as Brand New plus they come with a great warranty.

This will probably be the last PC I purchase so I'd like to make it a Good One. Put yourself in my place with a spending cap of say $1200, What would be the ultimate Windows based "Gaming Machine" you consider purchasing in that range? Pick one from the page I've linked because that's probably where it's coming from....... She gave me the green light on the purchase but still wants to see before I dive in. Thank you for your support guys. -Brian-

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandid=2202&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&frid=198

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdX%2b0EWnCqxjNvIBxhBMCOtrhaSKGB9pY3R%2bqQzzGiLCaNjqEnEkwfOLt7FgYf537qcmnpCmtRNWaSwodtKjaROwINlytsaHY5MKJc81fC5lr5yWxff3YNyAa4YbKoNtzpoxcj%2fJCJQxWmAIKJkgWdZBRwgFg%2bp6ro28mhY2y5Kgl

From that page, that one, if you're quick enough before someone else grabs it.

Plan on putting another 8 gigs of ram in there at some point, but this is something that you can do at home. It's very easy.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdX%2b0EWnCqxjNvIBxhBMCOtrhaSKGB9pY3R%2bqQzzGiLCaNjqEnEkwfOLt7FgYf537qcmnpCmtRNWaSwodtKjaROwINlytsaHY5MKJc81fC5lr5yWxff3YNyAa4YbKoNtzpoxcj%2fJCJQxWmAIKJkgWdZBRwgFg%2bp6ro28mhY2y5Kgl

From that page, that one, if you're quick enough before someone else grabs it.

Plan on putting another 8 gigs of ram in there at some point, but this is something that you can do at home. It's very easy.

That looks like a good one, but there's so many choices. On the systems I'm interested in, I see only 2 differences.

CPU & GPU

CPU Choices are AMD Ryzen 7-Series V.S. Intel Core i7. Which is better?

GPU Choices are AMD Radeon RX 580 V.S. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 1070 or 1080. Which is better GPU?

And in the case of Nvidia, which is better 1060, 1070 or 1080?

Both systems I'm considering have 16 Gigs of Ram.

Both have 256 Solid State Drive.

Both have either 1T or 2T Hard Drive.

Please share your input on what is best here. Remember original Post. Quality & Speed is main objective. Thanks in advance.

"Which is better?"

Do you like apples or oranges? There is a point where if money is no issue, you go with your gut.

Since Ryzen came out, there is no distinct Intel advantage unless you have the money to purchase a more expensive CPU just because you can. AMD architecture of placing memory management on their CPUs instead of relying on routing through more traces and mem management chips on the MB makes the MB less expensive and memory data flow faster, but I'm speaking as a system builder where I want the best performance for the money, not just the best performance. Look up the specs for the MB on the machines to see what the upgrade limits are so you are not necessarily CPU bound too much. I like building my own so I have a LOT more choices and save hundreds of buck-o-zoids. Make sure the machine has an over-powered power supply. You cannot have too much. Many pre-built systems come with only enough to run the raw system and after plugging in 10-20 USB devices and 6 HDs, the PwrSup cooks off in a storm. A well cooled case will have more reliability than a compact machine 50% more expensive.

Do some time intensive homework. It will pay off and make the decision easier for you. Keep in mind no matter how much you spend, the machine will be obsolete in two years but will remain useful for many more. If you are not including a powerful UPS in your budget, it's a shame to spend all that money and lose your data or components in a storm.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Everything pvarn said is 100% accurate. Unfortunately, unless you really know what you're doing, you can't judge whether or not a power supply in a pre-built system is good, because half the time you have no idea which power supply they're sticking in it (and what they stick in this month might be different from next month based on what kind of deals they can make).

This is why building your own is better. You know exactly what you're getting, and you're not paying a business shop time, overhead, and profit margin.

Know anyone who builds? Offer 'em dinner to build you one.

Absent that, I can answer a few specifics to your last post:

GPU Choices are AMD Radeon RX 580 V.S. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 1070 or 1080. Which is better GPU?

And in the case of Nvidia, which is better 1060, 1070 or 1080?

I prefer Nvidia. Radeons are fine, but Nvidia has, at least in my experience, caused fewer issues and tend to be closer to the leading edge of technology.

Of the Nvidia cards, the rule of thumb is that if the number is higher, it's better. So, 1080 is better than 1070 is better than 1060.

Don't forget there's also the Ti line -- 1080Ti is better than 1080, etc.

I once had a Dell off-the-shelf system. When I wanted to upgrade the graphics card, I found out that the power supply that Dell put in there was just adequate for the system as built, so I had to get a new power supply also. Then, after that, I found out that the cables that Dell used were just the correct length for the system as built (again!), so some new cables had to be acquired.

Also, in the mid-90s I worked at a company where we had many systems from an at the time well-known budget system manufacturer (honestly, I forget the name), all looking the same and with the same model number. Nothing wrong with the systems, but when we wanted to order replacement parts we had to quote the serial number to get the correct part, say a power supply, and that power supply would be different for the system sitting right next to it, with the same model number. So yes, manufacturers go for the best deal they can cut - and that's what they have to do to keep prices low.

Jorgen

I had a Dell Dimension 4600 that I upgraded everything in it except the motherboard. PSU, RAM, GPU, CPU, DVD/RW and sound card. I was able to play FS2004 and Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on it. I even played F.E.A.R, Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, Red Alert, Sim City 4, GTA III, and GTA Vice City on it. CPU was 3.0 GHz Northwoord single core.

Well, what's your budget and what games are you going to play?

Just To Clarify - I don't Need a "GAMING COMPUTER" necessarily, But - It needs to have Fast CPU and a Powerful GPU.

I am not a "Computer" person, I don't get all the inner workings of what does this and that. I look at it this way, if it has a higher number, it should be better. I know this is not always the case but I'm a consumer, not a tech type.

It doesn't matter to me if it's up-gradable because it will more than likely stay as it is out of the box. My current system I've owned for over 5 years and it's as it came. Good machine but time to upgrade before it craps out.

I posted allot of information above about specifics in my original post & replies. I can't build one myself and I don't know anyone that builds local. Narrowed it down to 2.

Budget appx. $1200

Games: FSX with addons, Madden Football.

There are 2 I'm considering at this point. Shown below. Thoughts?

Alienware Aurora 7R at this link. $1170

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2202&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7Udfj2qGSlUnkH8pOcM7haeJseMsrqER0eS3U7%2b%2fWvAUQ%2bkqvA1IzW23bOQ5q%2f5mXrhj3GxQJYzc7JgBYYGRNUeBYdxPq%2fPMZQ38dIudndi4HMxVAVejEoGjzwVedmwM1BrSjhJpwjVFhpqT7%2bMhCBEE22vfWoEbr4NS092%2bcxlehy%2f9xz%2fZyf%2fLwHQrT0f1pcQihDJSnDJXhkMmMn8HbN5GTifalsGWXdmQCIqAZNfi3TeVU%2fu%2buAvP5sSLcMH2StmS%2b%2bfiyx6qcUYUfMexaP2lJHueFhT0SnELBc%2buClmZmcu5LTe7Cq9%2bNnZDeCBvHBguMhAFwd%2f2sKwfAmKL5ZLtxlxda%2b746tdcHpTu1iTzAi

And the Dell Inspiron at this link: $1199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-recon-blue-with-solid-panel/6251737.p?skuId=6251737#/?eventDate=&eventDescription=Saved%20Items&giftlistId=955c372e-abe1-11e8-b963-005056aede89&giftlistItemId=955f9273-abe1-11e8-b828-005056ae4214&giftlistType=primary-shopping-list&listOwnerFirstName=&listOwnerLastName=&

Name brand pre-built PC's from my experience are too proprietary for my taste limiting future upgrade options. If you do choose to buy a pre-built, insure it uses standard parts, so you can later do say a motherboard or power supply upgrade if you want.

Since all you need to build your own is a phillips screwdriver (everything else simply plugs in), why not build your own? YouTube is a great source to learn how to do anything you get stuck on.

Pick yourself a favorite case that pleases you and your wife (So many to choose from!), match a motherboard, CPU (Fastest clock rate you can afford for FSX), and memory type (These three items are the only proprietary items to each other now), then pretty much anything else will plug in and can be upgraded later. On a budget, by a cheaper video card since FSX doesn't usually run any faster with high end cards.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

For some reason I couldn't see the Best Buy site, since I'm in Germany, so I have to limit myself to the Alienware systems.

What you need is a system with as high a GHz rating on the CPU as possible, and the Aurora R6 prices at $847.99 has a higher rating than the R7 you're comtemplating. But also, the system should have 16 GB of RAM, so make sure that the system you get can be retrofitted up to that amount.

From the systems shown, what I would choose is the Aurora R6 priced at $1,399.00 - 16 GB, i7-7700 processor, GTX 1080 graphics - but the question is of course always BUDGET!

Jorgen

And rule #1: never, ever, underestimate your needs for power. Meaning maybe getting a power supply that more than fulfils all your suspected needs - at least 700 W.

Jorgen

That practice just saved me money and time. I upgraded from a creaky old I5 to a 2700x with all the goodies. Was able to keep running the original Toughpower PSU because I got an 800 watt, which was vastly more than I required at the time, and is still well above what my system actually draws. Kept the Armor case, too, which is now on its 3rd full system.

OP, I do think you should be thinking a little farther down the road than FSX. Unless you think you won't be around in 5 years, you're almost certainly going to want to upgrade to a more modern sim at some point. FSX was fantastic, but with modern add-ons it's entirely too limited. Long distance flights require turning a lot of those addons down or off, which is annoying. I'd be surprised if you didn't want to move to a sim that wasn't so vulnerable to out-of-memory crashes at some point.

The best computers you can buy for flight simming are the Jetline Systems. These guys build some of the best systems out there and they specialize in optimizing for flight sims. They are a little more then you want to spend but you get technical support to go with them and they are great. Contact them and ask for Greg.

http://jetlinesystems.com/computers/

Just To Clarify - I don't Need a "GAMING COMPUTER" necessarily, But - It needs to have Fast CPU and a Powerful GPU.

I am not a "Computer" person, I don't get all the inner workings of what does this and that. I look at it this way, if it has a higher number, it should be better. I know this is not always the case but I'm a consumer, not a tech type.

It doesn't matter to me if it's up-gradable because it will more than likely stay as it is out of the box. My current system I've owned for over 5 years and it's as it came. Good machine but time to upgrade before it craps out.

I posted allot of information above about specifics in my original post & replies. I can't build one myself and I don't know anyone that builds local. Narrowed it down to 2.

Budget appx. $1200

Games: FSX with addons, Madden Football.

There are 2 I'm considering at this point. Shown below. Thoughts?

Alienware Aurora 7R at this link. $1170

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2202&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7Udfj2qGSlUnkH8pOcM7haeJseMsrqER0eS3U7%2b%2fWvAUQ%2bkqvA1IzW23bOQ5q%2f5mXrhj3GxQJYzc7JgBYYGRNUeBYdxPq%2fPMZQ38dIudndi4HMxVAVejEoGjzwVedmwM1BrSjhJpwjVFhpqT7%2bMhCBEE22vfWoEbr4NS092%2bcxlehy%2f9xz%2fZyf%2fLwHQrT0f1pcQihDJSnDJXhkMmMn8HbN5GTifalsGWXdmQCIqAZNfi3TeVU%2fu%2buAvP5sSLcMH2StmS%2b%2bfiyx6qcUYUfMexaP2lJHueFhT0SnELBc%2buClmZmcu5LTe7Cq9%2bNnZDeCBvHBguMhAFwd%2f2sKwfAmKL5ZLtxlxda%2b746tdcHpTu1iTzAi

And the Dell Inspiron at this link: $1199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-recon-blue-with-solid-panel/6251737.p?skuId=6251737#/?eventDate=&eventDescription=Saved%20Items&giftlistId=955c372e-abe1-11e8-b963-005056aede89&giftlistItemId=955f9273-abe1-11e8-b828-005056ae4214&giftlistType=primary-shopping-list&listOwnerFirstName=&listOwnerLastName=&

If you're not gaming "per say", then you don't need a fast CPU or GPU.

If FS is the single most game you play then a fast single core CPU is what you want. GPU has little bearing.

Look for a PC with the following CPUs. Fastest to slowest single core capability.

i7 8700K

i7 7740X

i7 7700K

Madden Football requires a GTX 660. You could get by with a GTX 1060 and that should serve its purpose for a long time. Especially since FS and Madden Football are only what you play.

This comes with two HDDs. A 2 TB platter and a 240 GB SSD. You'd install games and stuff you want fast access to on the SSD. The platter would be spill over for downloads, music, videos, photos, etc.

The Aurora R7 you listed only has a single platter.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227807

You don't want AMD. They don't have the single core speed as Intel. Fine for other games though.

I've never built a PC from scratch - got a high-end from CyberPowerPC three years ago, 1,400 bucks U.S. (naturally it's kind of obsolete in the year 2018, but still runs FSX-Stream really well).

Someone whose a little "handy" with a screwdriver and has the fortitude, could build his own PC at a much lower cost than pre-built - plenty of YOUTUBE videos to help you along. Probably the trickiest part of the build will be setting-in the CPU with thermal paste correctly. (Meaning the CPU won't possibly fry from overheating sometime in the future).

By the way, I believe AlienWare has always been overpriced, partly due to the eye candy appeal. I think the current sale going on now is due to the recent announcement of a new Intel chip coming soon featuring incredible speed, and additional cores(?) Thus, they want to chuck their inventory in anticipation of that.

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions & advice. To be totally honest with you all, it's easier looking for a used car than making a choice on a new computer.

I will take all into consideration and access my options. Making a choice won't be easy with all the options available.

Thanks again for the help.

To be totally honest with you all, it's easier looking for a used car than making a choice on a new computer.

Truer words never spoken. I'm very comfortable with computers and have been since I was in the computer club in kindergarten back in the early 80's (IBM PCjrs!) And I still have to do a *lot* of research and note taking whenever I decide to build a new system because things change so quickly that you can't keep up with it unless you devote a lot of time to it.

Archived