'Sticky' Sunderlands

Davecook

In view of the heatwave in Europe at the moment I was looking to cool down by heading for the water. I wanted to take one of my Sunderlands for long lazy spin but the damned thing just will not take off! I don't recall having problems in the past, it used to fly beautifully. Now, it appears that as it gains any sort of speed (+20 knots?) all the controls freeze. It is fine for taxiing, spins like a top, but as soon as I hit the throttles all the controls return to neutral - even the trim. Internal controls such as the yoke and the rudder pedals freeze - even the co-pilots head, which is synchronized to the rudder, stops moving. I have checked to make sure the autopilot is off but I can't think of anything which would kick in to lock my controls. Any ideas anyone?

Best regards,

Dave.

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

In view of the heatwave in Europe at the moment I was looking to cool down by heading for the water. I wanted to take one of my Sunderlands for long lazy spin but the damned thing just will not take off! I don't recall having problems in the past, it used to fly beautifully. Now, it appears that as it gains any sort of speed (+20 knots?) all the controls freeze. It is fine for taxiing, spins like a top, but as soon as I hit the throttles all the controls return to neutral - even the trim. Internal controls such as the yoke and the rudder pedals freeze - even the co-pilots head, which is synchronized to the rudder, stops moving. I have checked to make sure the autopilot is off but I can't think of anything which would kick in to lock my controls. Any ideas anyone?

Best regards,

Dave.

Checked for duplicate control assignments?

Precisely WHICH Sunderland are you talking about? Link?

Check your G levels in your cfg, I have found that if the g level is exceeded trims & controls go back to zero. So you might have to increase those values. Not sure which ones take precedent, so might have to change the air file values too. Good luck.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your inputs guys, unfortunately your suggestions didn't solve the problem. I am going to have to dig deeper ...
My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

You have a top notch PC according to your specs. Then you install FSX Deluxe, and SP1, and SP2, and Acceleration. Poof! There went your specs - shot in the arse by bad install of FSX. Hope this gives you a hint (SP1+SP2+Accel=Disaster?).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Napamule, can't agree with you there son. My FSX works extremely well, if I don't reign it back to 35 fps I can get over 150 fps in low AI areas (I have a lot of AI from the WWII sceneries I build). I have even just added the 3 Saitek / Logitec panels - switch panel, autopilot and radio, never had so much fun with my clothes on. True, it has taken me a lot of fine tuning to get everything working as it should, a lot of time reading on this forum (thanks to all who contribute your hard-won experience) but no complaints at all, my FSX rocks!

Wim, thanks for your interest. The addons are:

* Shorts Sunderland MkIII - Textures AIRFIX plastic model by Enrique Medal, model by Stuart Green, air file by James Banks,

and

* Sunderland MkIIIA, originally by Ted Kaniuka, updated for FS2004 by Shessi of SOH, further updated by Michael Pook for FSX.

This problem only occurs with these two aircraft.

If it's only happening with these two Sunderlands it could be an Airctaft.cfg [contact_points] issue - Chuck (Napamule2) is the man to ask about that.

You could also try the FSUIPC dynamic friction mod if you haven't already done it:

In the Modules folder, open the FSUIPC Documents folder and unzip Example LUA plugins.zip.

Move the DynamicFriction.lua file into the main Modules folder.

Open FSUIPC4.ini with Notepad and add the following lines to the bottom of the document:

[Auto]

1=Lua DynamicFriction

[LuaFiles]

1=DynamicFriction

Save and close the FSUIPC4.ini document.

This mod improves ground handling up to Rotate speed on take off, it should also work on water.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived