Landing gear will not drop

Here's a weird one... my landing gear will not drop on any aircraft. After takeoff I use the normal joystick button and they retract normally, but when I want to drop them nothing happens. Nothing with the joystick, nothing clicking on the gear lever in the cockpit, not pressing "G" on the keyboard or even CTRL-G to pump them down. I've checked all my button assignments in settings and everything is correct. This just started yesterday and I have had no issues or problems with FSX before this. You can imagine the virtual problems this is causing, anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks!

Just a quick first thought - are you below the airspeed where it is safe for the gear to be extended? Leaving landing gear down or trying to extend the gear above a certain airspeed can do damage to the gear, and some aircraft in FSX will not let you extend the gear until below a certain airspeed for that reason.

If you haven’t tried it yet, fly at a safe maneuvering altitude, pull back the power a good bit without losing altitude, and see if the gear will extend as your airspeed continues to decrease.

Kevin

I had something similar and it turned out that the key was "stolen" by some other until I have installed.

Try to assign the gears key to some other key, something not "trivial".

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I had installed a few new aircraft and deleted them just in case that had any effect, I also did a full shut down of the computer and everything is back to normal, except I'm still having the same issue with Tim Conrad's wonderful AN-32, but I'll keep playing around with it. Reading the first response brought me back to my early days in FS, approaching JFK in an Embraer E120 at 300 knots, and the using the reverse thrust a couple miles out to slow down :P I've learned a lot since then.

Reading the first response brought me back to my early days in FS, approaching JFK in an Embraer E120 at 300 knots, and the using the reverse thrust a couple miles out to slow down :P I've learned a lot since then.

https://youtu.be/IYjd8WVCu8k?t=1m23s

I'm still having the same issue with Tim Conrad's wonderful AN-32

The trick to Piglet's AN-32 is to be going very slow with full flaps before the gear will drop. I just test flew it and raised and lowered the gear several times in that configuration.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Funny you'd bring that issue up. I was recently reading in one of the RW magazines about a new GA aircraft that only has a retractable nose gear. I'm looking around and find I must have thrown the issue away so I can't tell you which aircraft it was.:o:o

What's weird about a retractable nose gear?? In this case two things strike me as weird. 1. Only the nose gear retracts. 2. The pilot has no control over the retraction or deploying of the nose gear. The aircraft does it itself, when it thinks you've followed all the correct procedures!!??!!?? Yet another Nanny on board the aircraft!!??:mad::mad: I trust them about as much as I trust "Autopilot" in a Tesla or Uber car!! NOT AT ALL!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The new GA you are probably thinking of, is the Lancair Mako. It's not the first aeroplane to feature only part of the gear set being retractable, but it is unusual in making the process automated (which sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me, and I personally wouldn't trust something like that).

An aircraft which featured a similar nose gear only retraction layout, was the 1970s-era MBB Bölkow BO-209 Monsun. It was actually not a bad idea, for a few reasons; it gave low hours new pilots used to piloting fixed gear aeroplanes the opportunity to practice retracting the gear, but was not a disaster if they forgot to lower it, since there were still two underwing main gears should it land wheels up, it reduced the drag, which was useful because the Monson was stressed for aerobatics, and it enabled it to be towed behind a car, because the wings were also foldable.

Hi,

I took the Antonov out for a spin over Ulan-Ude, I was able to get the gear down, but to do so have to raise the nose to about 20 degrees. Once it's up the gear will drop down, and I can bring the nose back down. I took it out over Lake Baikal and was able to make a successful landing in Irkutsk! Just look at those tires on pavement, it made my evening :)

AN32.jpg

The new GA you are probably thinking of, is the Lancair Mako. It's not the first aeroplane to feature only part of the gear set being retractable, but it is unusual in making the process automated (which sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me, and I personally wouldn't trust something like that).

THAT WAS EXACTLY MY REACTION!! I certainly never fly it!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived