ND 407 leaning to the right

viper245

It may be the way the Vertical Stabilzer setting are in the .air file.

What do mean, "leans"? How far does it "lean"?

You DO have a joystick, no? Have you tried tipping it upright again? There are trim available for all 3 axes. Did you try adjusting the aileron trim to force it upright?

Just some thoughts...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It may be the way the Vertical Stabilzer setting are in the .air file.

What do mean, "leans"? How far does it "lean"?

You DO have a joystick, no? Have you tried tipping it upright again? There are trim available for all 3 axes. Did you try adjusting the aileron trim to force it upright?

Just some thoughts...

Pat☺

Yes I have a thrustmaster joystick and I have calibrated it. I did try to trim with the aileron trim but it had no effect.

Anything over 75 knots the helio rolls to the right had holds that lean until speed is reduced.

I have the same problem in both FSX and P3D4.2/Windows10. I calibrated controls and reset defaults on my Hotas and Saitek pedals, it made no difference. I lowered the realism to 65% to make it a little more controllable but I still have to hold the joystick left to keep it level. It seems like a balance problem. Don

Is that a payware bird?

If not, can you tell me what the file name and where to download it from so I can look at it's aircraft.cfg and .air files?

I think, although very rarely do I think, that if it were a W&B problem it would be there at all times. It would lean over on take-off and hover, in other words.

I need to see the .air file most, but the aircraft.cfg helps. If the vertical stabilizer and/or horizontal stab settings in the .air file are what I think, they may be the problem. Sometimes they don't position the horizontal Stab correctly, ar set the angle of incidence correctly this can happen.

Same for the Tail Rotor. There are a few settings that if not correct can cause a lean as you speed up.

Does the bird try to turn one way or the other when at cruise speed? IE: Does it take a constant rudder input at straight and level cruise? That might help isolate the problem...

Sorry, but that's the best I can do without more info...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I have the ND 407 and at 100 knots the helio leans to the right. Not sure why?

anyone have a clue?

Eddie

Advancing and retreating blade theorem? Look it up. Perfectly normal for a clockwise rotating rotor. Anti-clockwise leans the opposite way.

Thrust from tail rotor compensating for torque? Your close to the max operating speed.

You should read up on the forces acting on a helo: "A plane flies, a helo beats the air into submission"... :pilot:

It's payware. I don't have it. But I suspect (and is my 'educated' opinion) that that 'effect' is obviously (?) related to (over) speed. You just can't do dat with a helio. Or shouldn't.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

But I suspect (and is my 'educated' opinion) that that 'effect' is obviously (?) related to (over) speed. You just can't do dat with a helio. Or shouldn't.

Actually, Chuck, the theoretical max speed for a helo with the standard, square(ish)-tip rotors, rotating at a relatively Western-World standard(ish) speed, is about 140-ish KIAS.

I know, there are a lot of exceptions, special blade designs, slower rotational speeds etc etc, but that's about it, due to retreating blade stall, and advancing blade loosing lift due to going super-sonic. Causes a flip-over. Noooo ejection seats in choppers!

The Bell 407, with it's 4 bladed rotor going at 400-ish (413 is the spec) is limited by the FAA to 140KIAS, according to the POH, which implies it can go faster. It was limited to 100 by the FAA due a supposed problem with the tail rotor chopping off the tail boom at the higher airspeeds, but they installed a pedal limiter and the FAA relented. Just an example.

Waggle and twist your joystick (preferably before taking off), as it sometimes "frees up" any offset control surfaces and lets them return to neutral.

Called by the Navy "wiping the controls". I always do it, just a habit, so I didn't think of that. Good suggestion.

Also a good idea to make sure you use the default, default flight, so to speak. The trike over Friday Harbour. That will make sure the controls, as well as the switchology, is all correct for whatever plane you choose to actually fly.

Or Helicopter you choose to beat the air into submission with :rolleyes: :p ;)

Once the sim's loaded in completely, all the way to the Creat A Flight screen, with the trike rotating in the little window at the bottom, THEN select the helicopter you want to fly. Or the saved flight you want to use.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is a helio?

I first thought if was talking about an instrument. If mentioned the nd, which is the navigation display, and does not display bank angle, so I thought maybe a 'helio' showed bank angle? Or that maybe the 'helio' was some name for a gyro?

Now I'm starting to think a helio is a helicopter?

And, for that matter, what is 'the nd 407'?

Helicopter, prop, or airliner? :confused:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hiyas il!

The ND 407 is actually a bit of a misnomer. It's the Nemeth Designs Bell 407. A Helicopter. Basically, a Bell 206, upgraded with better eninges, a 4 bladed prop, and some changes to the tail boom, and tail rotor.

These pics aren't the ND Bell 407, but one by another dev, who shall remain nameless for now. I'm helping him work on the FDE, and a few of the gauges. Still very much a WIP, but we're getting there!

I think you get the idea of what it is from the pics, though.

Notice the difference in the horizontal stabilizer, and the 4 bladed rotor, among other differences.

ScreenHunter_2848 Jun. 03 13.48_A.jpg

It's a little longer than a B206, as well.

ScreenHunter_2848 Jun. 10 11.08_A.jpg

ScreenHunter_2849 Jun. 10 11.08_A.jpg

This particular bird is for FS9, but after we finish it, he'll start making it for FSX.

Hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. Ok, not "nav display" then. Clear.

Still the word 'helio' for helicopter sounds strange to me.

When my helicopters bank that much, they usually quickly flip over and crash/spin out.

And when I google 'helio helicopter' I find an aircraft. The Helio Courier. Example:

http://www.helioaircraft.com/missions_lawenforcement.htm

Thanks for info and pics. Not a chopper flyer me (never learned to land the things safely) but 407 does look sweet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, il :D

but 407 does look sweet.

The model the dev created IS sweet. He did an amazing job on it.

It'll be an awful lot sweeter once I get the FDE finalized. It's getting there, but it's a long, slow process. Make a change, test it, change it back the other way and test it, etc etc. But it's getting there. Slow but sure.

Honestly, my landings are lousy too. I've been flying F-18's too long. But I'm getting it back.

After I get the FDE dialed in, I'll start in on an HTR config for it, so it'll (hopefully) be ready when it comes time to release it. :p

Got a couple gauges aren't reading right, too, and the fuel tank quantities and usage order needs to be updated, and some config point details, but those are the usual "small details" that always accompany a new aircraft :rolleyes:

The list seems endless sometimes. Fix item A, and Item B is now off, and so on...

But we'll get it!

See y'all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh my GOSH! 'helio' is short for 'helicopter'. Helio on the other hand is trade mark of a light STOL airplane manufacturing company. 'ND' (or 'nd') stands for Nemeth Deign. 'AC' (or 'ac') is short for 'airplane' and not 'Air Conditioner'. 'LOL' is short for 'Laughing Out Loud'. 10-4 is short for 'copy' (civilian) as was 'Roger' short for 'copy' (military). I feel like some kind of '411' (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've found, as a general rule, that the "short for helicopter" is normally HELO (or helo if you prefer lower case), not HELIO.

:)

Just an FYI...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh my GOSH! 'helio' is short for 'helicopter'. Helio on the other hand is trade mark of a light STOL airplane manufacturing company. 'ND' (or 'nd') stands for Nemeth Deign. 'AC' (or 'ac') is short for 'airplane' and not 'Air Conditioner'. 'LOL' is short for 'Laughing Out Loud'. 10-4 is short for 'copy' (civilian) as was 'Roger' short for 'copy' (military). I feel like some kind of '411' (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

Chuck, I think you are in need of a 10-100! Roger-D? Fer shure!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived