FSX starts, then disappears

southie4

Hi,

Life sometimes gets in the way of doing what you'd like to do and I have been away from flight simulation for a few years. With a new PC, though, I was determined to dive back in and I installed FSX Deluxe Edition. Activation was apparently successful even though I expected problems, since I was installing FSX on a different drive after my previous PC became good for nothing but a big doorstop after installing Windows 10 on it.

FSX looks like it is going to launch successfully. I get a messages that setup is completing and scenery data base is building but then it just disappears from my screen.

My FSX shortcut has compatibility mode unchecked, apparently something that can be necessary for activating.

Do I need to buy FSX again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

PS I see that I need to update my signature.

Activation successful.JPG

Completing setup.JPG

database.JPG

HP Omen Desktop x64 PC 880 p0xx, Windows 10, 64-bit Home Premium (v.1803), Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 512GB SSD system drive, three 2TB WD HDs (data and cloning) and a 1TB HD for FS, Dell P2714H monitor, 750W power supply & Saitek X52 throttle/joystick

That all looked normal for a new install, however disappearing does not.

What happens if you open the game explorer and click on the FSX icon again?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I know you said it disappears but is it actually minimizing and running on the taskbar? No other processes running in the background, like Browser, antivirus scanner, etc?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have almost exact Specs. I have FSX Gold (Deluxe+Acceleration). WHERE did you install FSX? Program Files folder? Did you tweak your fsx cfg? Are you going to get SP1 and SP2? There is NO reason for FSX not working! Windows 7 will let FSX run without admin or compatability issues IF you don't install in 'Program Files...' folder.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi dogdish,

I don't have "game explorer". I was never aware of having that but after doing some Googling, I read that some people lost that after the recent Windows update.

HP Omen Desktop x64 PC 880 p0xx, Windows 10, 64-bit Home Premium (v.1803), Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 512GB SSD system drive, three 2TB WD HDs (data and cloning) and a 1TB HD for FS, Dell P2714H monitor, 750W power supply & Saitek X52 throttle/joystick

Hi mrzippy,

No, it is not minimized and there were some other processes running, including Windows Defender.

Thanks,

Robert

I know you said it disappears but is it actually minimizing and running on the taskbar? No other processes running in the background, like Browser, antivirus scanner, etc?

Hi napamule2,

I now have a Windows 10 PC. I looked to try to update my signature but found no "edit" button. I was able to get to the signature but not make any changes.

I installed FSX like I did on my Windows 7 machine - on a separate "F" drive where all things FS reside.

Is that the problem? With Windows 10, do I need it installed in Program Files? I would have gotten something with a bigger SSD system drive, if I knew that. I have three internal drives (a 500gb SSD system drive, a 2TB SATA drive and a 1TB SATA Flight Sim drive) in my HP Omen 880se that I would need to open up the box to access and then another two SATA drives that I can access from two external doors that use for periodic drive cloning.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi stinger2k2,

No, but I did have 3rd party scenery (UTX, ORBX & FS Global) and one plane (A2A Cessna) installed on the "F" drive on which I installed FSX. This drive was from my old computer. I took the drive from the old, non-booting PC and put it in my new PC. I re-installed FSX on this new PC into the same folder structure as the original installation. The destination for the installation is the same as on the old PC. So, in a way, the answer to your question actually could be "yes".

Thanks,

Robert

That you install to 'F' drive (SATA HD is ok - no need for SSD for Sim) when there were files present is not a good idea. As Stinger suggests you have a conflict caused by registry error(s). Best to FORMAT 'F' drive. Then reboot PC. Then Install FSX to 'F' drive. Reboot PC. Start FSX and fly around in the default C-172 for a minute. Exit FSX. Then install 3rd Party files ONE AT A TIME. Start FSX and check they work. Repeat. This should cure your problem(s). Doing it 'Right' will spare you a lot of headaches down the road. What else is 'involved' we can't tell from here but at least you know your Base Sim worked and any problems can then be singled out and be addressed (and maybe fixed).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks, Stinger. Any and all assistance is much appreciated!

Robert

Do you have any add on modules installed? like FSUIPC, or any DLL files that do not have the same date as the default ones. You can usually tell default and add on DLLs from the date it says it was modified. I had this problem with FS2004 and doing that fixed it. also if you can get the SE version get it. makes problems like this easier to deal with because if it breaks you can just reinstall from steam. No disks no frustration.

Archived