Need some advise for FSX please.

Good day pilots :)

My post will maybe be a bit long but I am sure I can get answers here from you guys.

First here's my system:

/C: 232 GO GAMES /G: 931G

windows 7 family premiun

sp1

Intel core i5-4690 CPU 3.50GHZ

Ram 32G (16 not use yet)

64 bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX-770 1920 X 1080

I was suppose to run FSX and X-plane 10 on the same computer but I decide not to use X-Plane (not in love with that yet)

So now I tried to put FSX in /G: space but ..... system say no ????

Should I change hard drive ? or is this one enough ?

is it true I should not put FSX on disk C and use it always as administrator ?

Should I use intel core i7 ? instead of i5 ?

CPU should it be bigger ? like 1000w ? or 750 would be good ?

my video card should I buy a more powerfull one ? If I want to set all settings at Max in FSX.

In the future I would love using the real 737 throtle :) ($3000 lol I know ) does my system enough powerfull for this ?

Thanks every one I am sure I have more questions but enough for now :)

I want to make sure the money I spend will make me love FSX :)

Thanks

Richard

You could put it on the C:\ drive, just don't put it inside Program Files or Program Files (x86) where it would be a pain in the azz to work with when editing.

However I definitely would put it on your G:\ drive since you will eventually not have enough room for add-ons with the smaller C:\ drive. BTW, is that a physical drive or is it merely a partition of your C:\ drive. And why so many drive letters? I have a physical C:\ drive, a physical D:\ drive, and a Bluray disc drive E:\ to which I installed FSX to D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Gold Edition.

What error are you getting when attempting to install?

You said you tried installing to "/G:", that in itself would probably be why the system said no. The proper path would be "G:\FSX" or what ever directory you want.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hey thanks for your answer :)

SO , I am not a big expert :( so when you say dont put it in program files where will I drop it then?

Also the /C: and the /G: I think the technicien men told me that he cut my hard drive in 2 space but as I told you when I tried to put FSX in G I couldn't! :(

You said you had PHYSICAL C:\ physical D:\ and a blu ray disc drive E:\ ?? why physical? you mean you have 3 hard drive?

I guess I will have to ask question to the store today hahaha. I know my question musk be strange for you lol but when I understand I am good with those stuff :)

This is a hard disk.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Seagate-Samsung-M8-HN-M101MBB-1TB-1000GB-SATA-25inch-5400RPM-8MB-Notebook-HDD-OEM_41164.html

In this case it's a HDD. A mechenical hard disk. (Older type, which inside contains a disk that holds the data. That disk spins, the device contains a motor that spins it.)

This is also a disk.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/internal-hard-drives/52398/sandisk-ultra-plus-256gb-ssd-review

An SSD (Solid State Harddisk.) Inside it is a bit like a usb stick. No spinning parts. But instead chips that hold the data, and that do not spin when being read/written to.

An SSD is generally a lot faster then a HDD.

Both these devices are physical disks. Physically separate devices.

A hard disk can be subdivided by the person that sets up the pc.

For example my pc is like this:

My pc has a SSD. This disk is 256 gb in size. It is not subdivided, all of it is one 'partition'. Partition C. With Windows on it and my programs.

My pc also has a HDD. It is 1000 gb in size. I divided that into two partitions. D and E. D is around 600gb, and E is around 400gb in size.

---

The confusion comes with the words 'disk' and 'drive'.

Many people have no idea how many physical disks are actually in their computer.

In Windows they see their drives, C, D and E. But they have no idea whether these are partitions on one device, or actually are physically separate devices.

I use the words Partition and Drive, as if they are the same thing.

When I say 'disk' I mean a physical disk.

I think that is correct, but actually, I'm not sure. At some point in time people started calling things "disk drives" (diskdrives). That made it very confusing what was what.

---------

Something to note:

Disk size is reported different in Windows then by disk manufacturers!!

If you buy a Harddisk, 1000gb, then that is the manufacturers size.

The manufacturer means: 1.000.000.000.000 bytes

(is 1.000.000.000 kb = 1.000.000mb = 1000 gigabytes)

SO the manufacturer says: "there are 1.000.000.000.000 bytes on the disk

and I call this 100Gb, because

1000 bytes is a kilobyte.

1000 kilobytes is a megabyte

1000 megabytes is a gigabyte

and there are 1000 of those gigabytes on the disk."

However, this is not how a pc works.

A pc says:

1024 bytes is a kilobyte

1024 kilobytes is a megabyte

1024 megabytes is a gigabyte,

So a pc will say 1000x1024x1024x1024=1.073.741.824.000 equals 1000GB

On the harddisk are not that many bytes. There's only 1000.000.000.000 on it.

This means a "1000Gb" disk you buy, will in WIndows be reported as a disk with a size of only 931Gb

This may be a little confusing, but does not mean anything is wrong.

--------------

My SSD is 256Gb, reported by Windows as 238gb

My HDD is 1000gb, reported as 931 by Windows.

THe sizes you reported are very similar. Especially the 931 sticks out.

It makes me think your drive G may be a physical disk.

Don't have an answer for you though, but maybe this info helps anyway.

------

I do have a question.

What about drives D, E and F.

How big are those drives. And are they partitions of one disk, or separate physical disks.

Also, is this drive G of yours perhaps a separate USB harddisk. Is is on your desk, connected to a usb port on the computer?

Or is it a disk inside your computer. Screwed in there.

Same question for D, E and F. Are they inside your computer? or separate and connected with usb cable?

By separate I mean this. An external USB harrdisk:

https://www.amazon.in/Dell-1TB-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B00C9ZTBN6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey thanks for your answer :)

SO , I am not a big expert :( so when you say dont put it in program files where will I drop it then?

C:\FSX would be fine if you decide to put it on C:\

Also the /C: and the /G: I think the technicien men told me that he cut my hard drive in 2 space but as I told you when I tried to put FSX in G I couldn't! :(

You said you had PHYSICAL C:\ physical D:\ and a blu ray disc drive E:\ ?? why physical? you mean you have 3 hard drive?

I guess I will have to ask question to the store today hahaha. I know my question musk be strange for you lol but when I understand I am good with those stuff :)

I have 2 physical hard drives with with only 1 partition each. Third is a optical disk.

It sounds like you have 1 physical drive with 2 partitions. Odd that the tech skipped over so many letters and assigned it "G:"... For GAMES maybe?

Anyways, I think you should put FSX on the "G:" partition.

Also what do you have for FSX, I'm assuming a boxed DVD-ROM? Then you must also have a optical drive.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

There are 5 main types of "Drives". You have the HDD, or Hard Disk Drive, the one with a platter inside that spins and a magnetic media on it, similar tot he old cassette tapes, or VCR tapes, the SSD, or Solid State Drive, a bunch or chips similar to the PC's RAM, but which don't loose their data when the power is shut off, called Non-Volatile Memory, an OD, or Optical Drive, which is used for CD's etc, the USB "stick" Thumb Drive, and finally, the nearly extinct FDD, or Floppy Disk Drive.

The stick isn't to be confused with the USB HDD, which is just a normal HDD in it's own case, and, rather than being internal to the computer, can sit on the desk beside it. Very handy for carrying very large amounts of data from place to place. Like confidential files for the military, for example. Rather than send them over a network, or the internet, they can be worked on on one computer, then carried to another for further processing. Just for example. Also, a handy storage space for back-ups and files you don't want to get rid of, but don't need very often. You can pt "stuff" on them, then put them in you desk drawer or on a shelf until needed.

USB HDD's are rapidly being replaced by the Stick, as their data storage capability expands to match the older, spinning type HDD.

Notice, they are ALL still "disk drives". Even though a spinning disk isn't part-n-parcel of them necessarily.

A Hard Disk Drive, or SSD, or even the USB Stick, can be divided LOGICALLY into smaller "Partitions". Those are still called "drives", but not "Disk Drives". Like, you can have one HDD, and it can have any number of partitioned off drives on it. Most, depending on overall size, are partitioned into a C:\ drive, to hold the OS, mainly, and any and all files it might need, and generally either an equal or larger sized D:\ drive, for everything else you may want on the PC.

Over and above all this, you can add in more HDD's, and, if you want for organizational purposes, partition them as needed into more drives. As a general rule, I believe, although I've been out of IT for a while now, that the computer wants the drives lettered consecutively. C:\, D:\, E:\ etc etc, starting on the HDD with PC's OS, and proceeding through the HDD's logical drives, then on to the next HDD, and proceeding through IT'S logical partitions, etc.

On a final note, 1,000 Gb is 1 Tb, or terabyte.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Optimum results will be obtained with FSX on its own SSD, and if you are even contemplating a $3000 throttle assembly (and presumably the several thousand dollars of supplemental equipment you need to run it) it would be wise to run at least one SSD, possibly more.

Frankly your planning is `arse about face` as we say in the UK. FIRST you plan the hardware, THEN the software needed to run it. To plan the software you need to learn about the software and why the hardware you have may be far from optimised for your needs. what are you thinking of running apart from the 737 throttle...?

A partitioned Hard Drive is NOT the way to run FSX.

More education needed. Start in the PC Hardware and Cockpit Builders fora. Much information to take on board in both of those.

Archived