First screenshots of my new FS9 install

Hello friends!

Guess who is finally rebuilding his system again after it crashed a few years ago. ME!!!

These are the first screenshots of the initial two flights on the new system. I'm still using the same old original hardware (except a brand-new HDD) and everything is working beautifully so far.

I have installed the newer REX FS9 SoftClouds to try them out. This was using real weather data on the west coast over the Puget Sound region near Seattle, Washington USA. The ice-covered water visible to the north is due to the time/year date, weather and the install of the frozen water textures in the Texture folder for frozen water. (pretty cool indeed)

Click on pictures for larger size viewing.

tn_fsscr002.jpgtn_fsscr001.jpgtn_fsscr004.jpg

This was also using real weather data on a different day on the east coast of the USA, in North Carolina.

tn_fsscr007.jpgtn_fsscr009.jpgtn_fsscr012.jpgtn_fsscr013.jpg

The virtual FS world you see installed features the following add-on items:

Microsoft FS2004 COF ...updated to FS9.1noCD version.

FSGenesis 19m terrain mesh

Ultimate Terrain USA ...patch updated to v1.30

Ultimate Terrain Europe ...also patch updated.

UT products above with "correct scenery layering" following the instructions within the various patches for the proper appearance of landclass, towns, cities, etc.

REX FS9 Soft Clouds (updated)

tn_fsscr010.jpg

And probably the item with the most impact on the simulated world (NOT kidding!!!) is....

FS9 EVOLUTION - Scenery texture and Autogen replacement package for FS9.

Available from Sascha by writing him via his email with a donation amount. It is totally worth the investment! About the only thing missing from this package is "Spring textures" -and Sascha is actively working on finishing these tiles. He is also planning to release a brand-new, fully updated 2018 version very soon. You must remember to select any date other than Spring at this time to see the beautiful FS9 EVO textures displayed - otherwise you will see whatever other default texture set you have installed.

My new FS system was setup and tweaked ONLY using the instructions from the excellent source of work called "THE FSX COMPUTER SYSTEM - THE BIBLE by NickN on the SimForums. Even though it was written for FSX, it works perfectly as a guide for a FS9 system. I am running an old AMD PhenomII X4 965 BlackEdition 3.4Ghz CPU even though the guide calls for the latest and strongest Intel i7 chips (which I cannot afford). I only use Invidia graphics. I also use the nvidiaInspector software to control the graphics quality. It's amazing!!

I hope you all are doing well and that you are blessed. -Glenn

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Thank you Jan! :) FS9 is like a vintage wine - smooth and easy. Hahaha

(flightsimg) Thank you for your comment. The FS9 ground textures are blurrier than FSX admittedly, but using Sascha's instructions on tweaking in his FS9 EVO, the ground tiles will appear more crisp than usual even at a lower flight altitude. The blurred visuals in my screen shots is most likely due to making the reduced size thumbnails for this site, and also atmospheric reasons - I only fly with "live" real world weather and have my visual sight distance set to real-world specs. The weather also produces humidity, haze, etc. The default sight distance in stock FS9/FSX is unlimited which is false.

FS9 has always been my go-to-favorite because it runs extremely smooth, and is a rock-solid performer. FSX can be very twitchy at times... but, it can definitely become more beautiful than the older simulator with the right (often expensive $$) addition of software enhancements, and the right (Always VERY expensive! $$$$$$$) hardware components installed to handle the massive amounts of data used to construct everything. The Orbx products are truly incredible where scenery is concerned.

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Hey Glenn! Good to have you back. We've missed your contributions. :)

Unless Jan is getting himself into some kind of trouble, things are pretty quiet around here.

Your new build is looking very good so far! Hope it keeps working for many years. -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Thank you Jan! :) FS9 is like a vintage wine - smooth and easy. Hahaha

(flightsimg) Thank you for your comment. The FS9 ground textures are blurrier than FSX admittedly, but...

Hey! I agree with most of what you write! FSX might also need some power in terms of PC and graphic card. And your solution for FS9 might be of interested, further when one considers that -- at least in France -- the FSX Gold edition turned rare and at some price. Personally, I had the chance to get that boxed version lately at the usual price (about three years ago) and I'm glad with it and, like you said, with some freeware improvements, it provides a good state of the art software to fly the world :pilot:

Welcome back Glenn to screenshots after your disaster with your computer, I hate that when

Oh yes! That a very damaging occurrence. Since I had once that trouble, I even wrote something about that on my site, concerning FSX but it may also be of pertinence about other versions. The motto is: backup, backup, backup everything!!! not willing to advertise for my site, you however can check at http://flightlessons.6te.net/tutwork.htm :)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Looks awfully good Glenn! Your previous install was great, but I know how a major system crash can ruin years of hard work. Not to worry, your new install looks top drawer! :cool: :cool: :cool: :)

Larry

:cool::) Thank you so much guys for the nice compliments. I really appreciate them. I am SO GLAD to be able to fly again... can you imagine the depression I've had not being able to fly for the longest time? The struggle has been awful. Hahaha I am slowing assembling a dual-boot system with both Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, and Windows 10 Prof 64-bit systems. Also it features FS9, FSX and Xplane 10. I am so happy to be flying again! -Glenn

Guest Sascha66

Hey Glenn, it's great to see you back in FS9 again, thought we'd lost you to X-Plane for a while ;)))

Can you point me to the site where you got the Ultimate Terrain instructions? I never got mine to work as well as yours, I always get lots of displaced autogen when I activate UT roads!

Hey Glenn, it's great to see you back in FS9 again, thought we'd lost you to X-Plane for a while ;)))

Can you point me to the site where you got the Ultimate Terrain instructions? I never got mine to work as well as yours, I always get lots of displaced autogen when I activate UT roads!

So whats happening, Sascha with your next updates for EVO?

You should be based here. Proper community. ;)

Guest Sascha66

I'm still tweaking away, getting rid of autogen bugs, optimising autogen placement, shuffling files and improving colour blending. Not radical stuff you'd immediately notice (which is why it is timeconsuming), but has an effect on overall impression. I guess I'm a bit of a compulsive ;)

But basically I could release it any time :)))

I'm still tweaking away, getting rid of autogen bugs, optimising autogen placement, shuffling files and improving colour blending. Not radical stuff you'd immediately notice (which is why it is timeconsuming), but has an effect on overall impression. I guess I'm a bit of a compulsive ;)

But basically I could release it any time :)))

Sounds good. :)

How about a little preview for us eagerly awaiting it? ;)

Guest Sascha66
Glenn, I reordered my UT scenery layers according to your screenshot and it has solved my displacement problem! Live and learn, this especially applies to MS! So grateful to you for your helpful post!

Awesome news Sascha!!!! It's so great to hear from you buddy. :D Thank you for the awesome comments - I'm so glad I could be of help. Believe me when I say it has taken a LOT of frustrating hours researching forums, posts and just basically trial & error every chance I had... including a complete texture delete and reinstall 3x towards figuring out the best layering method. I got most of my advice/help on the layering from the http://www.scenerysolutions.com website. It is however, extremely poorly organised and took awhile to figure which files contained the exact instructions for what I wanted to achieve. Some of the links go nowhere, so I had to resort to searching my extensive collection of files on misc hard drives to locate the files I remembered having from previous years.

I'm very much looking forward to the next release version of FS9 Evolution. Yes Yes Yes!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Hahahaha - No, I never made it fully onboard with X-Plane - just too hard to figure out how to operate the views, etc. I purchased the metal collectors boxed version of X-Plane 10 Global 64-bit when it arrived quite awhile ago... but have not upgraded to anything newer. I know it is extremely adjustable and has amazing features but I was overwhelmed every time I tried it. My favorite has always been FS9, followed by FSX and now using FSX-SE. ~Glenn

Guest Sascha66

UT products above with "correct scenery layering" following the instructions within the various patches for the proper appearance of landclass, towns, cities, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202466[/ATTACH]

Hey Glenn, what is the first entry in the screenshot, QLRP4UT? I installed some of the patches from the scenery solutions site but this one I must have missed! Anyway since reordering according to this screenshot, my setup is much better with scenery depiction and autogen AND faster! Thank you again!

Take care!

Sascha

Edited by Sascha66

Hey Glenn, what is the first entry in the screenshot, QLRP4UT? I installed some of the patches from the scenery solutions site but this one I must have missed! Anyway since reordering according to this screenshot, my setup is much better with scenery depiction and autogen AND faster! Thank you again!

Take care!

Sascha

Good Morning Sascha :)

It's actually "QLRP4UT" and is known as the "Quantumleap Repositioning Project for Ultimate Terrain. I have used it for many many years since discovering the link somewhere in a forum thread. It corrects misplaced scenery objects in FS2004. It is available as a semi-automatic and manual install. The website link is here. Be sure to carefully read the entire document and watch for the hyperlinks to download the files. It's a must-have software in my opinion. :cool:

Also, if you cannot loacate all of the files you need because of "404" error missing pages on the Scenerysolutions website (Ultimate Terrain series) let me know by emailing me. I have all of the files stored on hard drives. Glad to help out anyone who needs help anytime I can. Have a wonderful weekend! -Glenn

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sascha66
Sounds good. :)

How about a little preview for us eagerly awaiting it? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/QU6eXOC.png

Tweaked UK textures (here with no autogen to better see textures themselves). I'm already packaging the files, it's only about 3000! Then I have to update documentation. But should be mostly finished this weekend ;) ALso I'm assembling a more hires version, but I have to save all master files by hand, because there is no batch conversion poosible from dxt1 that I am aware of.

• 1 year later...

I know this post is not current with the last post's but new at this 2004 and trying to upgrade scenery. First is the ground and I see you have a lot of Ultimate Terrain. I tried to download this last night, the usa package and nothing but problems I think they took my payment and I got nothing for it no explanation about how I was getting the terrain key to install it after the download and one of those catch 22 you must make an account to talk to tech support but you cant talk to support cause you dont have an account yet you got an email from them that your email is correct and you have a sign in. I can't see everyone going through this so I'm doing something wrong. If you are still active if you could give me your technique to getting it and where?

I tried FSGENESIS also first and no luck I downloded 2 for Ohio area and it made no difference I followed the instructions but again there is a learning curve and when I got back into FS9 it said adding extra terrain and took longer so I thought it worked. I did have one question the site said the numbers coordinate with the lat/long thats where they get the numbers for the map sections of USA....but in reviewing the lat/long for the area I was adding the numbers were not close, so what gives I would really like to get this upgraded and I guess I will have to study these post more but I

m o for 2 and I am familiar with computers so thats why I'm asking how you downloaded it and where. Your terrain roads buildings are fantastic to mine!

Thanks Sterk