Disk space

SA999

Good day all.

I would like to know and how to do it the following. I don't have enough space on my C: drive to add any Aircraft. But my D: drive have space. Now the question is. Is it possible to move to move the whole of Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder from C: to D:. I don't want to reinstall FSX because I have many aircraft and scenery added on. With a fresh installation I will also lose all my settings and Pilot records.

Thanks

Leave FSX as it is.

Move the entire folder to yr D: drive and create a symbolic link to it.

You’ll have plenty of space for adding aircraft, and C: will gain space as well.

Google “mklink command” for more details.

I was in a similar thread lately, with more detailed instructions. I’ll see if I can find it.

[EDIT]

It’s about moving ORBX, but the principle is the same:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?307535-Symbolic-links

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I didn't think a symlink would stick after PC reboot. Wouldn't it be easier to move the entire FSX folder to drive D and then run that registry repair tool?

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

I didn't think a symlink would stick after PC reboot. Wouldn't it be easier to move the entire FSX folder to drive D and then run that registry repair tool?

It will stick. Use symbolic link. You can also move addon scenery using the same method.

That's interesting because I had a program that installed a symlink capability in the right click context menu so I can symlink anything and it didn't stick on reboot. Come to think of it, I think I know what it was now. I was trying to symlink my browser storage folder to a RAM drive so that HTML5 data would dump on Windows shutdown. But it did just that and the symlink was destroyed in the process. Now I have configured Sandboxie in such a way that HTML5 data is never stored per season. But I see now that in my browser Pale Moon the storage folder now dumps on browser exit without a sandbox. I think Firefox does this too because I haven't seen any HTML5 cookies in the storage folder and I know they were set with my use of the program spy the spy. In spy the spy I added the appdata folder as well as the program data folder. By default it monitors the Windows folder.

Here's the program I used for symlinks. May make life easier. http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

Making a symlink is one line in an admin command prompt.

No need to install 5 absurd programs. That just makes your computer a mess.

Your fears of everything are leading you to make one bad decision upon the other. It's not making you or your pc any safer. The opposite more likely.

Besides, none of your fear of your own shadow has anything to do with the question in this thread.

The best solution is to get a larger disk and clone the old disk to that, as said. To do that I would use a system image.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you feel like it, an alternative solution coming to my mind would be to get a larger drive and clone your C drive onto that. Softwarewise it should appear as exactly the same afterwards and you'd have space again.

Or in case C and D are partitions of the same drive you can think of relocating space.

Cheers!

Making a symlink is one line in an admin command prompt.

No need to install 5 absurd programs. That just makes your computer a mess.

Your fears of everything are leading you to make one bad decision upon the other. It's not making you or your pc any safer. The opposite more likely.

Besides, none of your fear of your own shadow has anything to do with the question in this thread.

What the F are you talking about? I only mentioned one damn program. Not 5.

OOM errors? Read this.

I call it forum fog and lack of reading. Happens all the time. I post the link in case no one wants to mess with the command line. The program will add a right click context menu. So all one would need too do is right click the folder and symlink it.

OOM errors? Read this.

.......... With a fresh installation I will also lose all my settings and Pilot records.

Thanks

If you had a back up strategy you would not lose this........

There are a number of ways, from very simple to very complex, to make backups.

The simplest way is to simply copy important files, such as the logbook.bin, scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg and any tweaked aircraft.cfg files to a safe location, either prior to reinstalling or better still, especially for the logbook that changes regular, on a regular basis or when changes are made.

You can also configure Windows to make regular backups of the such files and more or use another 3rd party tool to do it. These backups can be of the entire drive or of specific folders/files, the choice is yours.

Regards

Brian

Archived