ILS available?

Luckypup

Steve - Okay, and you will get to land the DC3 by yourself! Disengage that bad boy at 500' AGL and you will be landing yourself, that is the fun part of an ILS landing, the last 500' ! Okay, the files you are still looking at, are you going to make a choice yourself, or do you want someone else to have a "hand in it?" Steve, John asked me, do you have the Maam download? Based on the pictures he has provided, the Maam download might give you what you are looking for? I told him that you mentioned it, but I did not know for sure if you had the download?

You could try either one, and if that choice didn't work out to your expectations, you could always delete it and move on to the next download! I think I would begin with the Carlo van Erp download!

Don't forget to save your original default panel to a temporary folder in case you need to fall back on it! Once you get a download you are happy with, then you can go in and delete it!

Enjoy, hope you find the right one! Decisions, decisions! - Rick

I did it!! I downloaded Carlo van Erps panel, renamed the original panel panelorig and darned if it didn't work! Fantastic!

All van Erps file did was to provide digital readouts above the attitude gauge and compass that allows setting the vertical speed and altitude and provides a switch that provides for approach hold. This was great as far as it goes but it doesn't provide a glideslope indicator gauge.

As far as the MAAM-Sim DC-3 goes- Yes, I have that installed. I want to get the default working the way I want it before tackling the MAAM-Sim.

I have a little more confidence now thanks to the help I received here. Hopefully, someday I can return the favor.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to have been quiet for a while, have had a few personal trhings to deal with.

See if this helps - it should work as long as my setup matches yours:

1. Make sure you have a safe backup copy of Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\Douglas_DC3\panel\panel.cfg to fall back on if things don't work out as you want
  2. Open Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\Douglas_DC3\panel\panel.cfg in a text editor (not a word processor) such as Notepad
  3. Look for an entry that reads:
    gauge04=Douglas_DC3!suction_gauge, 63, 649
    and change it to
    gauge04=RCS-R4D-VOR1-2k2-v1s, 63, 649

Load up the default DC-3 and you should see a VOR1 gauge lower left (the one used in the MAAM-SIM panel), in place of the suction gauge. I figure the suction gauge isn't too important to lose. The VOR1 will be very small, not ideal, but its a starting point.

Maybe the same modification would work on the Carlo van Erps panel you have been trying out - I wouldn't know for sure but if it is a straight modification of the default panel there's a good chance it will.

If this doesn't work for you I'm sorry - just replace with your backup copy and all will be fine.

Hoping this helps,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi John - I think if Steve gets the VOR1 merged from the Maam aircraft, he will be on his way to what he is looking for! Just a thought, when you suggested to him about replacing the suction with the VOR1, I was wondering could he also merge other gauges from other FS9 aircraft he might have loaded? I know he has to stay within the boundaries of FS9. On my panel upgrade, FSX, the developer merged other instrument, gauges from other aircraft, couldn't Steve do the same? Couple things I like about my upgrade is the modern HSI, the Bendix-King autopilot. Fuel flow (2) and trim wheel and position indicator is nice, but not all that necessary. AND will the default FS9 panel carry the same gauge position points as the FSX panel that I have. If he wanted some of what my upgrade gave me, it would only be a matter of giving him the position points and where the gauges came from? Just a thought, if he wanted more than just the VOR1 and didn't mind doing some legwork on his own. He might even learn something along the way and be proud that he made his panel the way he wanted it to be?

Thanks again for helping us all when we need it! Have a nice day! Rick

Yes indeed, Rick. That is just a start. Anything is possible once you master how the code works - but to be honest if anybody wants to get into making many changes the best way is using FS Panel Studio:

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

But not justifiable for very accasional use, really.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Steve - John has given you a great start with just installing the VOR head! IF you should want more, I found the ultimate IFR panel download on this site. It converts the default DC3 into a modern equipped aircraft. It has all you could ever want as far as radio gear.

Do a search on FS2004 Panels, and then enter Douglas DC-3, developer is Trev Morson. Click on view and the next page will show you the files, cfg. Open up the .jpg's and you will see what the panel offers! At a quick glance this panel upgrade looks like it belongs to a B737! The thing I also like about the upgrade, is the panel now looks upgraded, not just some newer instrument /gauges slapped into a badly worn panel. You will see what I am saying when you check out the pics!

Anyway, thought you might be interested! Later - Rick

Rick -

Downloaded and installed Trev Morson's DC-3 Panel. Unfortunately it does not have ILS capability, nor does it have a NAV/GPS switch.

I tried to remove it and go back to the default panel but, also unfortunate, I've lost the default panel folder. Morson says he included the default panel but I don't know how to retrieve it.

Rick -

Downloaded and installed Trev Morson's DC-3 Panel. Unfortunately it does not have ILS capability, nor does it have a NAV/GPS switch.

I tried to remove it and go back to the default panel but, also unfortunate, I've lost the default panel folder. Morson says he included the default panel but I don't know how to retrieve it.

Steve - Look in the panel folder. sometimes developers put them there. It will probably be shown as backup. You didn't copy/backup your original panel before you started?

Steve - The Nav/Gps switch is not a problem, but with all the radio gear on that panel I find it hard to believe it has no ILS capability! I've uninstalled all my FS9 files, so I can't download to see what it looks like. Just be patient, we will get you back to where you were. ALWAYS backup your files that you are going to be tinkering with!

Steve - Where are you located, US, UK or........................ ? Be thinking about sending me a PM which you might consider giving me an email address and/or phone number so that we can get you back to where you were. MrZ or some of the PROS on here might be able to zip you a default DC3 panel folder, or give you easily understood instructions. With me, it will be "hit and miss," try this, try that until the issue is resolved. I am not one of these Pros and I don't want to "eat up" a thread just looking for solutions!

Let me know! Any luck finding Morson's panel backup?

Rick

Steve - This should help getting your default panel back. The link should work (don't worry what the description says, if you hold the cursor over the download button you will see it is for the Clean_Panel), if not, it can be found in Simviation site, FS2004, panels, page 5. Click save the download, and you can open it up in the downloads section. When ready to get the download to DC-3, save (somewhere else) or delete whatever panel is in your aircraft folder now and then you can "copy and Paste" the Clean_Panel folder to the DC-3 aircraft folder and you're back in business. Read the "Readme file," if you go with the Clean_panel folder name, you will need to go into the aircraft cfg file and add the new name to the panel line. If you rename the Clean_panel folder to just panel, you won't need to mess with the aircraft cfg file.

https://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=DC-3_Clean_Panel.zip&fileId=7376

Good luck, let us know how it works out! - Rick

Steve - I can really sense your disappointment in things "not going as planned!" Welcome to the world of flight simming! Sometimes things go your way, other times they do not! That's why all on here encourage backing up whatever you are tinkering with, because if things don't go your way, you have a way of recovering! I think what I have given you on the last post should give you back your default panel, at least that's what I can see from the .jpg's in the download listing! If you want what John gave you the other day, you will have to repeat that step. If you want to continue further, maybe getting some of what I have added to my FSX panel, I have been working on trying to make things adapt to a FS2004 application. Just let me know, if you want just what you have after your panel recovery, I will leave it alone. If you want to hear what I think may work for FS2004, I will try to help you. No guarantees from me. I don't get them either! - Rick

Rick - Problem resolved. I have a small laptop attached to my flatscreen for running movies. It doesn't have the graphics to run FS but it will load it. I simply loaded FS into it, copied the default DC-3 Panel folder to a flash drive and transferred it into my 'simming' computer.

Archived