Nose Up Pitch Angle and Vertical Speed

inky160

When an aircraft maintains a 6 or 7 degree nose-up pitch attitude what is the corresponding vertical speed?

Looking for a conversion table or is there such a thing. Found a vertical speed chart but how to convert to pitch attitude in degrees.

Thanks, Ron

Vertical_Speed.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

As F16jockey says, no correlation whatsoever.

What are you trying to achieve? Without an AoA indicator you will always fly an airspeed, and accept the resulting climb rate and pitch angle based on the aircraft parameters. The other alternative is to fly the desired climb rate and accept the resulting airspeed.

One is riskier than the other...

The only time pitch angle is considered is for obstacle clearance, which requires specific guidelines in the POH.

Those charts don't address what I think you're asking. They are to let a pilot know what vertical speed he should maintain at a given ground speed in order to stay above rising terrain at a given gradient (feet of terrain rise per nautical mile). This is independent of aircraft, only needing to know groundspeed, but has nothing to do with pitch angle or power setting -- just climb gradient.

If I understand your question correctly, there is no chart, as such, for what you are asking, since rate of climb depends on the aircraft, the power setting, the altitude, the temperature and more, in addition to pitch angle.

So you can maintain, say, 800 feet per minute at a given power setting with a 6 deg pitch up, but adding power will change the rate of climb, while decreasing the power will reduce the rate of climb -- depending on aircraft and power setting, it's even possible to be descending with a nose up attitude.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I was just looking for a scale that would correlate nose attitude to vertical speed. Graph below shows for a 5 degree nose up attitude correlates to VS about 600FPM. Is this a useful analogy? So, if I set my autopilot for the 600FPM vertical speed, the autopilot would automatically set my nose attitude to about +5 degrees?

attitude_indicator1.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

I was just looking for a scale that would correlate nose attitude to vertical speed. Graph below shows for a 5 degree nose up attitude correlates to VS about 600 FPM. Is this a useful analogy? So, if I set my autopilot for the 600 FPM vertical speed, the autopilot would automatically set my nose attitude to about +5 degrees?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201243[/ATTACH]

Nope. There is no useful analogy here.

Graph below shows for a 5 degree nose up attitude correlates to VS about 600FPM.

That's not a graph. It's a G1000 display.

Your same twisted analogy (following the red line, I suppose) would also give us 106 kts TAS on the left ?

Very funny.

dnNeydO.jpg

Better use IAS btw.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

following the red line, I suppose

The photoshop edit with arrows was not meant that a line could be drawn straight across the display.

Although it sure appears there is coincident with Attitude and VS. Thank you all for comments.

I guess it was a pretty dumb question that made no sense. Sorry.

Ron

Archived