Brake issue

Hazet54

Hello,

This morning I noticed that when I start up a flight with the Iris F-16 brakes are applied. There is this red label in the left down corner of the screen. Pressing 'period' and/or ctr+period does not release the brakes (as it used to do), but instead applies differential brakes.

So I tried other aircraft and there is the same issue. Brakes don't work anymore and the aircraft keeps accelerating, whatever I do.

I use to have brakes assigned to the number 1 button on my Saitek X52 pro (wich worked oke), but now pressing this key has no effect at all. The aircraft keeps rolling and does not stop.

So I deleted and re-assigned the "period"assignement as well as the #1-key in Controls-window, but without result.

I also tried to assign other buttons but that did not solve my problem.

Anyone out there who could help me out? It always worked nicely, untill this morning. I did not install other new software, nor did I make any changes in cfg or whatever.

Sorry for my English, I'm from the Netherlands.

Hello Mr.Zippy,

Sorry, forgot to mention: I'm on Windows 7. Updates are not automatically installed I prefer to choose what I want to download/install. I do have FSUIPC installed, but are not really familiar with this and therfor have not used it (my english is not good enough to really understand the manual I'm afraid, but I will have another look at it later this evening.

And I will follow your suggestion to restore default keybutton assignements and let you know. Thanks.

@MrZippy: I did unplug the joystick several times. Didn't solve the problem.

@f16jockey_2: I'll check setting again. But the funny thing is that differential brakes are only applied when I try to release the parking brake!

Would it be an idea to programm using SpadNext (in stead of the FSX Control settings? Heard some good comments on it....

I have to go now, so I will read your posts later this evening or maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for your help !

Like Wim said .. 'rudder input of some kind'. You may need to calibrate your joystick (again?). Click on 'Calibration' tab (upper left) and go from there. In cfg you should have this:

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

KBDAIL=64

KBDELEV=64

KBDRUD=64

Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

So this morning I did unplug the joystick and hit 'period': no effect at all.

I also checked the .cfg and under "Controls"is exactly what Napamule suggested.

And it got worse!! Not only the brake-issue now, but I noticed that the a/c (F16) will accelerate without throttle being applied and even the smallest throttle makes the afterburner go al the way. So the throttle control-axis X52 must be corrupted I suppose??? I have no idea what made this all happening and -more important- no idea on how to fix this.

I considered uninstalling FalconX F16, but the brake-problem occurs in all a/c. So uninstalling only the F16 would solve it, I think.

And because of the fact that all a/c are acting very strangly......uninstall en re-install FSX ?? I hope not. In that case it woulkd be bbetter to switch to FSX-Steam I think. But....for this moment: any suggestions on brake-issue and throttles are very welcome !!

Unplug the joystick and delete your FSX.cfg file. Start the Sim without the joystick and see what happens. You may also need to go into Windows control panel and make sure the joystick is completly uninstalled.

I'm wondering if your joystick got messed up and in turn messed up things in the Sim.

@ CRJ-simpilot: I found some time to try your suggestion before leaving for a few hours.

SO I unplugged the joystick. Uninstalled the joystick in Windows control panel. Deleted the fsx.cfg and restarted the sim. But the problem is still there.....

I hope you maybe have some other ideas, because being a retired man I use to spend a lot of time in FSX.......Thanks for your help !! I realyy appreciate all your suggestions and ideas.

Try this.......

Go to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft|FSX\Controls

This folder should contain a single file named Standard.xml - this file holds details of your key and controller settings. Depending on what you find.......

A. If only the one file - Make a backup copy of the file and then delete the original. Start FSX and it should build a new one setting control settings to defaults. With the joystick unplugged sttart FSX and test, If the problem is resolved test with the joystick connected.

B. If there are multiple files, for example a Standard.xml and a Standard.bak, rename the first to something different and then rename the second to Standard.xml. Start FSX and test.

Regards

Brian

@Longbreak745: Hello Brian, I followed your instructions:

In C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft|FSX\Controls was only one folder: Standard.xml.

I backed up this folder and deleted the original. Then started FSX without joystick. Everything works fine !!! Then I re-connected my joystick and again everything looks to work like it should. So, I'm a happy man :)

But the strange thing is that FSX did NOT make a new folder Standard.xml. The folder C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft|FSX\Controls is now empty. Is that something that needs to be fixed manually or can I do without it? I would like to hear your advice on this.

Regards Hazet

Hi Hazet,

Not sure why it hasn't created a new Standard.xml file - on my system it does, so it may be down to a Windows UAC or Admin permission issue.

On my rigs (I have 2 with FSX installed) both have only two copies of a file in FSX with the name Standard.xml - one at the previously mentioned location (which seems to be the 'live' version referenced by FSX at startup, as the Last Modified date updates each time I use FSX and it has references to my joystick settings) and one located in the main FSX folder which has a Last Modified date of 22 Aug 07 (which has no references to my joystick settings).

If everything is working fine you could leave it and see if any other issues occur - the most likely issue will probably be that your joystick settings will be 'dropped' and need resetting each time you load FSX - checking the Controls folder occasionally to see if a file has been created. Or you could try one of these options.........

Option 1 - place a copy of the backed up Standard.xml file into the folder, renaming it to Standard.xml and make a note of the Last Modified details. Start FSX and see if the issue has returned. If it hasn't, close FSX and check to see if the Last Modified date has changed. If the problem has re-occurred look at option 2

Option 2 - Using Notepad, edit the file removing any details that references your joystick - in my file its referenced as follows (NOTE I have edited it to show the key entries to find - the original entry has specific entries for each button setting and is very long):

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB{41F07FA0-17C6-11E2-8001-444553540000}

LOADS OF ENTRIES REFERENCING JOYSTICK AXIS

NOTE the items in RED signify the START and END of an entry and will appear many times as it splits a number of 'hardware' types. The GREEN entry show how my joystick is referenced. Search the entries manually or try using the search function (accessed via the menu Edit > Find and then typing what to search for in the box and pressing enter to get the first entry and then enter or F3 to find the next entry if the first is not the one you are after).

Once you have located the required entry carefully select all of the text contained between and including the RED entries. Save and close the file. Test FSX and then check to see if any new information has be written into the file.

Alternative method to Options 1 and 2 - starting with NO standard.xml file in the Controls folder.....

Option 3 - Create a new Standard.xml file by right clicking and selecting new text document from the menu. Name the file Standard.xml. Edit the file in notepad and add the following text, saving once done:

Type="Controls"

version="1,0"

id="Standard">

Controls Mapping File

Standard.XML

This gives you a 'clean' file. Test FSX and see if it populates the file with details.

Regards

Brian

Hi Hazet,

Not sure why it hasn't created a new Standard.xml file - on my system it does, so it may be down to a Windows UAC or Admin permission issue.

On my rigs (I have 2 with FSX installed) both have only two copies of a file in FSX with the name Standard.xml - one at the previously mentioned location (which seems to be the 'live' version referenced by FSX at startup, as the Last Modified date updates each time I use FSX and it has references to my joystick settings) and one located in the main FSX folder which has a Last Modified date of 22 Aug 07 (which has no references to my joystick settings).

If everything is working fine you could leave it and see if any other issues occur - the most likely issue will probably be that your joystick settings will be 'dropped' and need resetting each time you load FSX - checking the Controls folder occasionally to see if a file has been created. Or you could try one of these options.........

Option 1 - place a copy of the backed up Standard.xml file into the folder, renaming it to Standard.xml and make a note of the Last Modified details. Start FSX and see if the issue has returned. If it hasn't, close FSX and check to see if the Last Modified date has changed. If the problem has re-occurred look at option 2

Option 2 - Using Notepad, edit the file removing any details that references your joystick - in my file its referenced as follows (NOTE I have edited it to show the key entries to find - the original entry has specific entries for each button setting and is very long):

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB{41F07FA0-17C6-11E2-8001-444553540000}

LOADS OF ENTRIES REFERENCING JOYSTICK AXIS

NOTE the items in RED signify the START and END of an entry and will appear many times as it splits a number of 'hardware' types. The GREEN entry show how my joystick is referenced. Search the entries manually or try using the search function (accessed via the menu Edit > Find and then typing what to search for in the box and pressing enter to get the first entry and then enter or F3 to find the next entry if the first is not the one you are after).

Once you have located the required entry carefully select all of the text contained between and including the RED entries. Save and close the file. Test FSX and then check to see if any new information has be written into the file.

Alternative method to Options 1 and 2 - starting with NO standard.xml file in the Controls folder.....

Option 3 - Create a new Standard.xml file by right clicking and selecting new text document from the menu. Name the file Standard.xml. Edit the file in notepad and add the following text, saving once done:

Type="Controls"

version="1,0"

id="Standard">

Controls Mapping File

Standard.XML

This gives you a 'clean' file. Test FSX and see if it populates the file with details.

Thanks Longbreak754. I will try tomorrow (I am not at home this evening and will be back late). I’ll let you know!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

@Longbreak745:

So this morning I started FSX again and had a look in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft|FSX\Controls. To my surprise this time there WAS a Standard.xml file ! So I tried FSX without the joystick connected and everything worked fine.

Then I plugged in the joystick and again everything seems fine. Some assignements were gone and I re-assigned them and I was happy to fly as before.

Just to be sure I closed FSX and restarted it: Standard.xml still there and everything back to normal.

So, I have no idea what made FSX to 'reconsider' and make the Standard.xml again, and no idea on what could have caused the problem, but I think everything is ok now !

Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

Simple: The file is only written back to the location when you CLOSE FSX.

In its absence it reads the default Standard.xml file located in the FSX folder system.

What caused the problem was either a corrupt Standard.xml file or more likely a duplicate or missing assignment.

Hi Hazet,

Glad to have been of help...........

The issue of a new file not being created bothered me and so, overnight, I deleted mine on both rigs and tested - created new files.

The only thing that I can think of is that you had left the Explorer window open when you tested FSX and then checked to see if the new file had been created. As the window was open it may not have refreshed thus displaying no file. Of course when you closed the window and then reopened it at a later date it would have refreshed the folder contents. The file was probably there before you started FSX.

The one bit of advice that I offer you now is to make a backup of the current file (as you know it is a good one) and save it someplace safe. If the problem reoccurs you can simply overwrite the corrupt file with this backup.

Happy flyin'......

Regards

Brian

Archived