Rudder Problems re Siatek 52 and FSX

jimlogee

Most planes have the rudder restricted while in flight even if you have the Yaw Damper turned off. This is called "Rudder Limiting" and prevents the rudder from being damaged from excessive forces. This is very likely NOT a controller problem since you can move the rudder normally on the ground.

In the air even with small planes, it does not take very much rudder deflection (10 degrees or less) to make a big change in your flight.

Do this test:

In the air, turn off the autopilot and the yaw damper. If you can yaw the plane with your rudder controls then all is OK regardless of whether you can see the rudder move in 3D or not.

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Most planes have the rudder restricted while in flight even if you have the Yaw Damper turned off.

That may be true of "most" modern airliners, especially fly-by-wire types, I don't know (it would surprise me), but it's NOT true of "most planes." I've flown over 60 types (real life), and not one has restricted rudder, nor have I heard of this in general aviation circles.

When you generalize like that, please limit the use of "most" -- I'd hate for someone to get the wrong ideas.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived