ILS landing alignment

martinstebbing

Martin - Darn it all, I thought I had it figured out for you! Like I said in a previous post, I check MS FSX against Skyvectors for altitude, frequencies and headings. Usually, headings are within a degree or so, and I have only found 1 frequency to be different and that is the one that gave me fits! NOW, when I flew the ILS for both Kuwait 33R and 33L, I couldn't check against Skyvectors because they don't offer and approach plates for foreign countries!

Again, Martin, hope you find what is ailing your approaches! I know it is frustration, but I am sure you will figure it out! - Rick

Using OKBK again as my example of an airport where I land off-centre, I have changed the four LOC positions in the AFCAD file (the long, green triangles in ADE9x) so that they are no longer aligned with the four runway centre lines. With a bit of trial and error, when I now set up the default B737 (much more accurate panel instruments than the c170) at each runway (15L, 15R, 33L, 33R) and tune to the relevant ILS frequency, the LOC needle is now dead centre - and planes land in the right spot of the runway.

In other words, I am back to square one, changing airports' AFCAD files individually, as needs be! What I don't understand is why most addon airports (remember that I did say 3rd. party, not native FS9 airports in my original post) do not have this issue (though a sizeable number do - perhaps 20%?? But I may be overestimating).

So I tried out exactly the same tests using a clean 'out of the box' version of FS9.1: no addons at all apart from my Kuwait OKBK - and default FS9 4:3 panels of course... and STILL I get the offset to one side on all four runways, unless I use my tweaked AFCAD file, when all is OK again. What does that prove??

Hope you do! I read one article that says changes in Scenery can effect alignment, something about a program is available to restore the scenery registry, way above my head, but maybe you can sort it out? Said everytime a user does something to scenery, they should restore the scenery registry. Sounds far fetched, but your problem is needing a little something to make it right!

Good luck! - Rick

Another a380 flight OMDB to OBKB... it still lands off to the left, even though the ILS needle is clearly not centred. Why doesn't the a/c make any attempt to line up with it? OK, I could try the same a380 with a different panel, but I can't face more trubleshooting at the moment! I'll just have to land the a/c by hand each time (and so avoid heavy fog!), not a big problem and what happens mostly in real life anyway of course. Just a bit annoying not to be able to get to the bottom of this!

Place a copy of the orginal FS magdec.bgl file in its own scenery folder, and have it load last in your scenery.cfg listing.

Everything you say smacks of non-original magdec.bgl files and their associated problems, whether installed deliberately or unknowingly. Search the forums and you will find nothing but trouble with modified macdec.bgl files, because you have to amend every AFD file to work with them. Sometimes they are surreptitiously provided with add-on airports, which is why it isn't a bad idea to have the original one over-riding them in the last-loaded scenery layer.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Ok, I'll give it a try (by 'loading last' though, do you mean to have it highest priority in the scenery library or lowest? I'm assuming the former) and report back.

Thing is though, I almost never fly to default FS9 airports, and who knows which version of magdec.bgl the third-party scenery creator used when they created their AFCAD file (be it payware, or freeware)...

EDIT: Quick test - removed my 2017 magdec file and put the default one in a high priority folder, above all other scenery. Reverted to the original OKBK AFCAD. Back to rwy 33L and the LOC needle is off to the left again. I haven't tried a flight yet, but that isn't promising!

Thing is though, I almost never fly to default FS9 airports, and who knows which version of magdec.bgl the third-party scenery creator used when they created their AFCAD file (be it payware, or freeware)...

99.99% create them with the proper magdec.bgl. It is the other 0.01% (that meddle with things that are best left alone) that you should worry about.

So does it align correctly at OKBK with the add-on disabled?

John

Martin - Rather than try it again, just go to the top of this post page and in the search window, just type magdec.bgl, and you will see all the posts. As you will see John as been very helpful with many who have had the same issue as you!

No, I entered magdec.bgl in the search box and I get three pages of results - none of them show johnhinson as the thread starter, if that is what you mean.The only thread I can find using the search here that relates to John is this one! I went to John's home page here but that didn't help (by which time I was getting cross!!). Could you perhaps tell me the title of the thread as I have spent 10 minutes using flightsim search with no result, apart from raised blood pressure. Thanks! :-)

Martin - I didn't mean to get you cross or raise your blood pressure. I never said John Hinson was a thread starter. Yes, there are three pages of that issue, and a few I had read, had John chiming in on some of the conversations going on.

All I meant to suggest, is the magdec.bgl is the culprit to your issue and many others have gone thru the problems you are having. In your leisure, read a few, and I think you will agree, their problems relate to what you are going thru!

Good luck and hope you find your fix! - Rick

Not wanting to take all the praise(!) here is the same solution offered by others:

http://calclassic.proboards.com/search/results?captcha_id=captcha_search&what_at_least_one=magdec&who_only_made_by=0&display_as=0&search=Search

John

PS - Oh darn it! I see my name appears in there after all . . .

I must admit that I have never noticed this problem when using FS2004 although I have never touched the MAGDEC bgl which you mentioned updating. My ILS approaches into UK2000 Scenery / JustFlight World Airports and a number of Freeware offerings such as MAIW locations as well as default locations have all been relatively well aligned.

The only one I have had a hard time with was the Localizer Only approach to Runway 26 at LOWI (Innsbruck / INN - default scenery) just recently. This is a tough approach in both the 26 and 08 directions owing to surrounding terrain. You could always give this a try and see if you can get any sense out of this approach unlike what appeared to happen to me.

Inbound course is 261 degrees and the LOC frequency is 111.10 for Runway 26 LOWI. I was fortunately able to recover the situation and land on 26 there visually.

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

Archived