Progressive taxi lines disappear

You know those green or yellow (can't tell, color blind) arrows that show you where to taxi and park? Well, often times during taxi they just disappear. It's even worse in FSDreamTeam airports. Is there a way to fix this from happening? I can sometimes still see the lines if I go to spot plane view, but not all the time and it depends on the angle I'm looking at.

I have had that happen many times at the big airports and I rarely get them back. Sometimes I will turn them off and then back on or use a locked spot view at different angles. They are Yellow unless you have changed the color.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wasn't that a DirectX 10 bug?

Grtz., Hans

That was no progressive taxi arrows at all. This is just a partial loss at some airports. Maybe an addon airport problem.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In my experience some of the loss is down to elevation issues. Over the years I have incorporated a lot of FS2004 airport scenery (mainly MAIW but also other stuff) into FSX. It is well know that there are slight variations between the elevation data used in FS2004 and FSX and elevation related issues can be compounded even more if using a terrain mesh add-on.

WRT to my experience - I have found that many of the FS2004 stuff works OK but 'dis-appearing' arrows are fairly common. In most instances I have resolved the issue using Airport Designer Editor (ADE) to add a 'airport backround' poly and/or a 'landclass flatten' poly.

I have also used this method on a number of FSX native sceneries.

Sometimes, the issue can also be caused by unconnected taxi links - again I use ADE to check for this.

Regards

Brian

In my experience some of the loss is down to elevation issues. Over the years I have incorporated a lot of FS2004 airport scenery (mainly MAIW but also other stuff) into FSX. It is well know that there are slight variations between the elevation data used in FS2004 and FSX and elevation related issues can be compounded even more if using a terrain mesh add-on.

WRT to my experience - I have found that many of the FS2004 stuff works OK but 'dis-appearing' arrows are fairly common. In most instances I have resolved the issue using Airport Designer Editor (ADE) to add a 'airport backround' poly and/or a 'landclass flatten' poly.

Sometimes, the issue can also be caused by unconnected taxi links - again I use ADE to check for this.

+1

Cheers,

Wasn't that a DirectX 10 bug?

Grtz., Hans

Yes it was. Get Steve's DX10 Fixer (either payware or freeware will do) and the Progressive Taxi works fine in DX10 preview mode.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

So it's pretty bad at the FSDreamTeam airports as well as others, but not that bad. FSDT Los Angeles is horrible! Should I use ADE and just flatten the area? I will check for unconnected taxi lines. Thx!

WRT the 'fairly fresh' W7 install.

Have you installed both the official W7 SP (SP1) and the unofficial SP2 (an MS update for W7 that for some reason MS doesn't call an SP) - google the phrase Windows 7 Sp and you should get a page that lists both SPs. Simply installing W7 and then running windows update will not get you the SPs nor indeed many other updates - W7 is now in Extended Support which means that only security related issues are being offered.

Also consider checking that you have the latest versions of essential packages such as .NET, C++ Runtime etc.....

Regards

Brian

I have SP1. I have a bunch of .Net and C++ installs. I highly doubt that's the issue. I'll have to research this more and check my error logs. And if necessary reach out to the forums that handle scenery creation and use ADE.

I really wish ADE didn't use BGLComp. I love my AFX and it must use its own compiler. It's just not as feature rich as ADE. But it is a very capable AFCAD design editor.

This will not help you with the progressive taxi but might I suggest doing away with that and use airport diagrams instead. You can get the diagrams here but you will need to register on the site, they are based off FSX instead of the real world, there free and just might make you simming experience that much better.:)

I've used Flightaware's plates when I flown in VATSIM, but I go to airports that are small and remote. I need to know where to park otherwise after I save and come back to the spot I was at I can't contact tower or clearance since the Sim wants you to park in the spot they designate. So I really need to have progressive taxi to work. I do write down the last two or three taxiways that ground gives me in preparation for a missing segment which happens sometimes. But at KLAX for example the progressive line disappeared prior to getting into the parking spot and I had no idea where they wanted me. So I just had to end the flight without save and when I took off again from KLAX I had to create a flight from there. Really pissed me off to have to do that. I've been saving my flights since Thailand. Made it all the way across the Pacific from Guam, Wake Island, Midway, Hawaii and then finally Los Angeles.

• 4 years later...
I'm having this problem as well. Its a real pain in the ass not having the progressive taxi guide arrows because the control tower gives you very vauge taxi instructions. It would have been nice if they made it so the control tower at least told you what direction to turn at what taxi way. Sometimes its hard to tell because a taxi way will go on for miles in ether direction before you know what the next taxi way to turn on is. Not sure how they deal with this in real life but I'm sure the tower gives better taxi instructions than in FSX and they probably use maps sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty much the same thing over the Comms in real life. If you listen to ground on a scanner ("police scanner") or on LiveATC.net, you'll know.

It's not really that hard though. Just need to learn how to read the taxi signs. The solid black with the letter means that's the letter (or number. I saw that in Russia) you're on. They say make a left at bravo, well it's a left on B. Don't much have to learn APCO or military phonetics either. Alpha begins with an "A". Delta, "D", Yankee "Y"... etc. But if you start seeing a cheerleader on down the taxiway I'd hold back on the Jamaican kush... :D

I can follow it all no problem. Hard to write it down "right quick" through. If you're familiar with an airport it's a lot easier. "Oh, sure. Down Delta, hang a right on Whisky and then Bravo. No problemo."

What is a pain is that in the Sim you need to get into the exact parking sport the game wants you to park at. Otherwise saving the flight, then going back into the game to your last saved point and asking ground for taxi and what have you will be a fruitless endeavor. That's because you didn't satisfy the Sim's command for you to park in such and such spot. And what can really muck things up is if an airport designer makes the taxi lines super thin. Like at a value of 1! Now you'll never be able to park and satisfy the Sim's expectations because the detection mechanism is gone. I have to go in and edit the whole damn thing when that happens.

Anyway. After all these years the problem still exists. For the most part I can taxi to where I need to go based on verbal instruction. But sometimes the progressive taxi line just disappears right when I need to park. I can help elevate that by "virtualy" putting my head out the window in spot plane view and sometimes the line will show up and a certain angle. But it can be tedious to keep the angle in sight and what not.

To this day I still don't fly into LA. Too much traffic, the taxi lines don't show up, it's a mess. I just go to KSAN. I have that airport upgraded as well.

• 1 month later...
Exactly the same for me.I am sad to report :( But I''ve concluded that the number of add ons has something to do with the lines dissapearing. When ever I reinstall FSX anew, and run it a first time everything works beautifuly, But then when I begging to add all my favorite addons freeware as well as payware things beggin to go haywire. like for example the Yellow Taxi Arrows. It's happened to me in all size computers I have had FSX installed, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
Just had the issue crop up today when trying a flight from LAX to Vegas. Any news on a recent fix? FSUIPC no longer seems to want to fix it anymore. Before the FSUIPC I got(the free unregistered version) fixed it like a charm. Now nothing. Edited by Badger26

Just had the issue crop up today when trying a flight from LAX to Vegas. Any news on a recent fix? FSUIPC no longer seems to want to fix it anymore. Before the FSUIPC I got(the free unregistered version) fixed it like a charm. Now nothing.

What feature or option in FSUIPC fixed this? :confused:

This is 5 years old?

No. ~1768 days, 0 hours, 15 minutes, and 0 seconds UTC.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

What feature or option in FSUIPC fixed this? :confused:

No. ~1768 days, 0 hours, 15 minutes, and 0 seconds UTC.

Point taken LOL

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs