Heading not correct in sim

airfrance

Hey guys,

Having an issue with the heading that randomly started all of the sudden. As you can see in the screenshot, the aircraft isn't flying directly on the route line, and it never is. When I approach airports and see them on the screen, they are always at the incorrect heading. Runway headings are also incorrect. It seems all the headings are incorrect. I'll select the runway heading when I takeoff to "fly runway heading" and then when you switch on the autopilot, the plane always turns to that heading. Hope this makes sense. Any ideas on how I would fix this? It's like this on every aircraft I fly. Thanks!

heading.jpg

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 Quad Core Processor 3.50Ghz, 24GB ram, GeForce GTX 660ti 1.5GB GDDR5, 2TB hard drive, 24 inch LCD monitor, FSX Gold. :D

Another example here. The sim claims we are fly at heading 067 but really we are flying around heading 073, as per the flight route.

heading2.jpg

And then probably the most frustrating part, and this will probably make it easiest to understand, as you can see I'm flying straight in for runway 26 at PHX and I'm lined up perfectly yet I'm being shown that I'm way off heading and coming in at an angle. This started happening recently with every and all aircraft I fly.

heading3.jpg

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 Quad Core Processor 3.50Ghz, 24GB ram, GeForce GTX 660ti 1.5GB GDDR5, 2TB hard drive, 24 inch LCD monitor, FSX Gold. :D

Do you hit D&B every so often?

Crosswinds present?

Reading charts in True North and the sim is using Magnetic?

Installed new scenery or an update to the sim's Nav Data recently?

What's different now as opposed to when it wasn't doing this? Have you added or subtracted anything at all from the sim? If so, have you tried UN-doing what you did?

Just trying to toss out some possibilities...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Uncheck Gyro Drift in your Aircraft/Reality settings.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Is your magnetic north still correct? There was a post a few months back about correcting or "reinstalling" the magnetic north at a high priority in the scenery file library. I don't remember the details, sorry. Something about whether the heading shown was magnetic or actual.

Hi

I had this exact problem before and it was caused by a dodgy BGL file in a few sceneries I had.

If you added a scenery recently disable it and check the headings again.

If you have lots of sceneries like I have it might take a bit of work to identify the culprit.

The best way is to use scenery config Mgr, group all your scenerys into country or continent and then you can disable/enable more easily.

If this problem was not there last week and you have added a scenery then more than likely that is the problem.

Rgds

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you hit D&B every so often?

Crosswinds present?

Reading charts in True North and the sim is using Magnetic?

Installed new scenery or an update to the sim's Nav Data recently?

What's different now as opposed to when it wasn't doing this? Have you added or subtracted anything at all from the sim? If so, have you tried UN-doing what you did?

Just trying to toss out some possibilities...

Pat☺

Tons of stuff. It would be hard to pinpoint exactly what scenery it would be. Definitely not a crosswind issue. Look how far off the plane is. There were 6 mile an hour headwinds directly on the nose. This has to be something related to magnetic north and true north.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

67 is where the nose is pointing. 73 is the plane's track, dvd to wind.

No, I don't think this is it. The plane is flying at heading 260 for landing on runway 26 but indicating flying on heading 271. This isn't because of wind. There was a 6 mile an hour headwind directly on the nose. The plane is literally flying in a different place than indicated. Something else is wrong.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Roger had the right idea then, you can get the magnetic north update with instructions from here:

https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

While the instructions for the replacement magdec file may have these instructions, I do not have it and thus do not know. This fix should work fine with the default file.

If you have a scenery layer you ALWAYS keep listed on top of the Scenery Library list, use that folder instead of the folder created in the early steps. Skip to #3

1. Create a new folder in the Addon Scenery Folder. Name it something like Keep On Top.

2. Inside that create a scenery folder.

3. Copy the magdec.bgl file from the FS2004/Scenery/BASE/scenery folder and paste it into your new scenery folder created in step 2 (or the scenery folder you keep at the top of the listing).

4. Add the Keep On Top folder to the Scenery Library areas, and ALWAYS keep it at the top of the layer listing.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

While the instructions for the replacement magdec file may have these instructions, I do not have it and thus do not know. This fix should work fine with the default file.

If you have a scenery layer you ALWAYS keep listed on top of the Scenery Library list, use that folder instead of the folder created in the early steps. Skip to #3

1. Create a new folder in the Addon Scenery Folder. Name it something like Keep On Top.

2. Inside that create a scenery folder.

3. Copy the magdec.bgl file from the FS2004/Scenery/BASE/scenery folder and paste it into your new scenery folder created in step 2 (or the scenery folder you keep at the top of the listing).

4. Add the Keep On Top folder to the Scenery Library areas, and ALWAYS keep it at the top of the layer listing.

Hope this helps,

I have AES which tells you to always keep it as the top folder. So should I create a new folder for the magdec file or place the magdec file in the AES folder since it's always on top.

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had this issue a few years back; don't know if there was an updated file then but I was instructed to do as Tom Gibson recommends - just take a copy of the default magdev bgl, place it in its own scenery folder, and layer it at the top. Have had no problems since.

My headings were off a bit more than yours:

heading1.png

Well I'm happy to report that seems to have fixed the problem! I will report back if I have any further issues. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions to the solution!

-Nick. W

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived