Does Weather Effect ground textures?

Hi all:

Well, after all my years of flight sim it seems I should know the answer to this but I don't, so if you do, please enlighten me.

Does FSX look at the weather before deciding which ground textures to load, i.e. winter or summer? This came up yesterday. I prefer to fly in spring/summer because I find the scenery much more enjoyable. So yesterday I was flying to KCRW in West Virginia and before starting the flight I selected something like June 23 in the set up screen. Well, I am running ASN and it happened there was light snow at CRW so as I approached West Virginia I noticed there was snow on the ground, in late June? However, since ASN had downloaded the real weather I had snow. So again, my question is did snow covered ground textures load due to the ASN provided weather, regardless of the date? Or are the ground textures dependent only on the date?

Thank you in advance.

FSX has a five season regime specifically for this purpose - Spring Summer Autumn (Fall) Winter and Hard Winter. The hard winter textures are called based on prevailing weather conditions.

What I don't know is if the autogen is suitably responsive (i.e. spring foliage with snow)

The obvious solution to your question is to try it and find out.

Archived