Stutter no matter what i seem to do

smp1991

Well, in the glorious absence of a readable FSX.CFG, I will point out some possible causes of stutters.

One, and probably the most common one, is disk contention. This typically seen if FSX is installed to the same physical HDD as Windows, where both at times (often) will be fighting over who gets to use the HDD controller. This also will happen if both are installed to the same SSD, but in practice SSDs are so fast that this will probably not be noticable. Solution: move FSX to a different drive, preferably a SSD.

The disk contention issue can be aggravated by "things running in the background", such as iTunes, auto-updaters and many other things. Apart from stealing valuable CPU cycles from FSX, they typically are installed on the C: drive and thereby cause more disk contention (see previous paragraph). Solution: shut all such tasks down unless they are absolutely necessary for the system to function.

Then there are fragmented HDDs. If there are HDDs in the system, then get a good, professional defragger and defrag the drives - all of them. A good defragger is made by O&O, but there are several others out there. But caution: NEVER EVER attempt to defrag a SSD.

And last: forget everything if you're running FSX on a laptop. Laptops simply aren't built for FSX, even though they may be labelled "gaming laptops". The motherboards and disk controllers are simply not equal of those on a desktop, and I have read articles that laptop CPU speeds aren't what they're advertised to be.

Undoubtedly other of the honorable discussion participants can and hopefully will provide commentary....

Jorgen

I don't care how default you think the FSX.CFG is, they are all different because the users's systems all are different.

There is no such thing as a default FSX.CFG.

And you don't reset it, you delete or rename it, then start FSX and let it generate a new one. You may call that resetting it, but it isn't.

In another active thread I wrote to the OP how he should let FSX generate a new FSX.CFG for him, so he could see if his pixel issue could go away. I'll find the link to that thread shortly and edit it in here.

Jorgen

Edit: here's the link: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?304965-Pixel-build-up-top-screen

Generate a new FSX.CFG as described, and then post it here.

Not much else to add, Jorgen. You seemed to have covered it pretty thoroughly. I would also add the following....make sure your browser is not running. No need to be surfing the Internet while flying! Also see if your Antivirus program can be put into "silent mode" so no scanning is going on while flying.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

None of those things are causing the stuttering.

Just to keep the confusion to a minimum, Those things are not causing the problem.....because they aren't running in the background and you know this for a fact? Try to be a little more informative in your responses and we can be a little more helpful.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Sorry to be blunt, but the honored OP does not WANT to have his problem solved.

It's like me calling my doctor and saying, doctor, I'm dizzy, but I am the model of health, then refusing to go for an office visit and as a first step in diagnostics have your pulse and blood pressure taken, and then maybe a blood sample. Going downhill from there....

Now, I have changed my mind. The OP does not just wants to vent, he just wants to WHINE.

Prove me wrong, Sir. Otherwise, case closed. Reason: no information forthcoming despite multiple specific requests.

Jorgen

+1 to the TGIF.... what are your system specs, Bob?

Jorgen

Jorgen, it is about 4 years old, but has an i7-950 3-GHz chip with an MSI GTS450 video card. Oh, and 24 GB of ram. But the best thing I did was put the Windows op and FSX onto a separate SSD. I don't do much tweaking, and am pleased with its performance.

Antivirus scanning while running FSX will cause real big time major disk contention, maybe even on SSDs!

Definately on SSD's! I use Windows Defender and it kept scanning all FSX.exe related processes as it read in all big scenery files and GSX files. Also enroute, which caused major stutters and pauses midflight up to 40 seconds. It would, for example, take me literally 8 minutes to fire up the sim on SSD. The guys at FSD then suggested to exclude fsx.exe from the antivirus and it now takes an astonishing 14 seconds to fully load up. No more stutters or midflight pauses. And I don't even have that high-end of an SSD-drive. ;-)

You guys are beating up a guy that (got) stutters? Shame on you.

CPU = 4.6 Ghz? THAT is what's 'wrong'. That OC is 99% certain to make your system (ANY system) run 'ok' for 1 minute (especially FSX) and then become un-stable. Crank it down to 4.2 Ghz for crying out loud! That's plenty good for FSX. You'll see. Bet you a $1.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I mentioned iTunes earlier, because some time ago one person mentioned that he liked to listen to music while flying.... oh well, what real pilot would do that?

Plenty of pilots enjoy listening to music while flying. Companies like Garmin even supply hardware to integrate music playback into an aircraft's systems.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/228

Although if the aircraft is equipped with an ADF, you could just tune into a nearby AM radio station.

As for the stutters FSX, unfortunately, wasn't built with modern multi-core processors in mind and simply maxing everything out isn't realistic in many situations. Start with the Kosta guide as well as making sure there isn't something running in the background interfering with the sim.

Archived