One ended runway and ATC

Roger Wensley

I just made an airfield that has a one-ended runway, in that at one end there is a huge hill. So, 28 is used for landing and 10 is used for take off. To get the AI to conform I marked 28 as not available for take off, and 10 not available for landing. On my first test flight inward bound I found that when I was asked to select a runway for landing there was no runway at all in the list to select from. But, after landing, parking, and then preparing for take off, when I was asked to select a runway from the list there was a runway, the correct one, 10. I checked that I had them correctly tagged in case I had marked them both as not available for landing, but it was correct, 28 not for take off, and 10 not for landing.

Ideas?

does the airport have a tower frequency? (and perhaps others like ATIS?)

And, did you get the "10" from tower? or ground?

It sounds like there's a ground freq, that knows about 10.

But no tower. So nobody to tell planes about 28.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the airport/runways show up on the GPS map, could this be a wind direction issue?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

28 is for landings only

10 is for take offs only

there is no tower, just the one frequency on which you announce your intentions

it is not a wind direction issue for AI, they happily take off on 10 even if the wind is directly astern. And if I am allowed to do the same and select 10 for a downwind take off why wouldn't I get to select 28 for an upwind landing? Or at least be offered it as a choice, instead of no choice at all?

If the AI don't land on 28 either, have you tried setting 28 for take off and landing?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The AI does as alllowed, lands on 28, takes off on 10.

I would not set 28 for take off as well as landing for the same reason as the real airfield; if you take off on 28 you are not going anywhere except into solid rock.

How is setting 10 not for use as landing my problem? I do not want to land on 10, I want to be offered 28 for landing by the "pick a runway to land on from this list"

Well, when you say that FS does not recognise a one ended runway I can only remind you that in the present case AI are recognising it and taking off on a downwind runway 10

Never mind, everything is working except being allowed to ANNOUNCE that I intend to land on 28; I can land and park and then announce a take off on 10 and the AI are using the right runways too so no conflicts. When I post it I just have to mention the minor hiccup.

• 1 month later...

Roger,

You may be able to get rid of the hill by using the exclude function of Airport Facilitator (AFX).

I have used it with success to get rid of unwanted trees, buildings, and many autogen objects in the airport area.

HOWEVER, with Ttools, do open ALL runways for take-off and landing before you make the exclude.

Nick, Athens, Greece

Archived