Prop Pitch reversal

GDALE14853

Thanks, il88pp

A lever has a range of 0 to 100%.

For a different range for example -40 to +80 you would need to buy a registration for fsuipc and use that to set it up.

My idea was to define the switch at the bottom of lever travel to give the same result as the F2 key. I had wondered if I could set this up if I had a registered FSUIPC. I think I'll have to get registered and have a bit of a play about with it!

G.

I downloaded a DC-6B from the CalClassics site and "borrowed, from the aircraft.cfg, the [propeller] section and the .air file.

Mrzippy - I've just downloaded the Cal Classic DC6 base-pack and copied out the 'prop' section from the cfg file, and used the .air file from CalClassic DC6 in the JBK aircraft, but on a quick test in my FSX, I can't get the beast to do anything but go forwards on throttle-up. Is there something else I need to set up in FSX to get the F2 function for reverse?

G

Mrzippy - I've just downloaded the Cal Classic DC6 base-pack and copied out the 'prop' section from the cfg file, and used the .air file from CalClassic DC6 in the JBK aircraft, but on a quick test in my FSX, I can't get the beast to do anything but go forwards on throttle-up. Is there something else I need to set up in FSX to get the F2 function for reverse?

G

Not using the F2 button. It's either Ctrl+F2 or on the throttle panel move the blue prop lever down to minimum prop RPM then increase throttle to near max!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

AirEd WILL copy a section over. You could copy the entire 1101 section in one shot. Just click on the top most part of it, where the actual title of the section is, like 1101 Primary Aerodynamics, rclick, choose copy to clipboard, then in the recipient .air file highlight any section title, rclick, click add from clipboard and it will place the section in the right place.

Be careful, if there is a section of the same name, you will now have 2 of them, and you'll have to delete the one that you don't want in there.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Wow thanks Pat! Cheers!!

That worked great. Adding 1509 worked first time.

I was struggeling with FSEdit, and had just got it to run. But the files it did open it made backups of (don't know where they are.)

I read it sometimes scrambled files, and was therefore not included in the fsx sdk.

It also opens files from an 'aircraft' folder, ut I couldn't get it to open things in my 'aircraft' folder. Program just crashed.

And when I placed the the Goose in a folder /FSX/Aircraft/

it still wouldn't open it. THis time it did show error maessage. "not the correct kind of airfile/aircraft.cfg file".

Very glad I can leave that program, and continue with aired. Thanks a million!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not using the F2 button. It's either Ctrl+F2 or on the throttle panel move the blue prop lever down to minimum prop RPM then increase throttle to near max!

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using the Ctrl-F2 buttons she will back up out of a Gate, or anywhere I like! Haven't yet tried the landing using the reverse to shorten run, but at least now I know I should be able to. Prop pitch lever to min RPM doesn't seem to work for me though (pity), but the Ctrl-F2 will do just fine for now!

may your next one be a 'greaser'!

G.

A 'greaser' is put down name for a Mexican. What you probably meant to say is: 'I hope you grease your next landing'. FYI.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Worked on the goose a bit more.

copied the following sections from the L1649 to the goose-airfile.

310 Engine type =0

311 Number of engines=4 (made it 2 after copying to Goose.)

330 Propeller type=2

510 Propeller parameters

1509 FS2000 Prop feathering

1511 FS2000 Propeller reversing

1518 turboprop=TRUE

1519 turboprop=TRUE

Also copied the [propeller] and [piston] engine sections (fully) to the Goose aircraft.cfg file

Reverse worked a charm.

That's to say, it reversed great, but rolled over a bit at the same time.

I think when I copied section 311 and changed to two engines, I put in only two left engines by mistake.

I did just now spot section 1002 (Engine Locations). So I may have a look at that later.

Also, copying those aircraft.cfg sections completely probably wasn't needed. A few changes to the original would have been enough I think.

Just didn't want to spend to much time on it.

Icecream time;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quote: 'may your next one be a Mexican'. (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hiyas, il :)

Glad I could be a little helpful.

I learned a lot about adding, taking away, editing, or whatever .air files when I was playing with Dino's F-14 in FS9. I wanted to try and make it as close to "real" as I could. Not as good as Chuckie B, I am certain, but as good as I could get it. I, personally, think I did a pretty good job too, if I may say so myself :D

Have fun with it!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I took a different approach to get the DC-6 to have reverse. I needed good props (not black) so I used Cal Classic DC-6 model (Mexicana paint), JB Kristensen's DC-6 aircraft cfg (modifed) and Mario Noriega's air file (modified) from the Nardi. I moved mains back a bit, moved fuel tanks forward, as it was tail heavy. It overspeeds at 50% power (ha). AP works good. Handles very good (no rudder/aerlion interaction glitch). I'm too good (hehe). Here is a short (1 min 2 sec) video of it doing reverse. Link:

Chuck B

Napamule

In air file, right click on section then choose 'Remove Record'. To paste just right click anywhere (white area is 'ok' too) then choose 'Add From Clipboard'.

Thanks again Pat:):D, having lots of fun with it!

Hi Chuck, my Goose did also overspeed, at 25% thrust. Even at 20.000 ft.

It also made a forward salto when I tried to take off. Throttle to 60% as usual, nose dug into the ground, and tail flipped overtop.

I since moved the engine positions. Reducing "distance away from datum" helped. It now doesn't overspeed as much. It's not perfect yet.

GDALE, don't let my babbling distract you! Just follow Chucks fixes/MrZippy's tips.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was trying to refine airfile, but would not get much better.

Just now discovered, reason it flips over is not the airfile. I thried another paint of the default Goose, that still uses the default airfile, and that flipped over too!

Finally realised it's my aircraft.cfg file that cause the flip.

Yesterday I was only trying to see if creating reverse was possible. Not making something good, just a basic test.

I didn't want to spend time on chasing [propeller] section entries, and had simply copied the whole [engine] and [propeller] sections from the L1649A aircraft.cfg to that of the Goose.

I have a feeling my airfile (with adjusted number of engines, and engine positions,) isn't half bad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My apologies for the "greaser" comment - not too many Mexicans here in the UK!!!

My meaning was exactly as per 'keefpee' post - ah, the joys of countries separated by their 'common' language!

First landing using 'reverse' to cut landing roll worked great!

I'm still going to look into the fsuipc route to try to configure my Saitek hardware to give me the 'reverse' from a switch though, as I find I'm not used to using keyboard buttons during my landings, and I was a little erratic with keeping my line while operating the Ctrl-F2 etc. Practice makes 'better' (never expect perfect!)

Best wishes all (including anyone from Mexico!)

G

That flip is due to ref datum difference. If it's: 'reference_datum_position= 2.500, 0.0, 0.0' try making it: 'reference_datum_position=0.000, 0.000, 0.000', then bracket back to 1.000, 1.500, etc until it behaves. The 'empty_weight_CG_position= -2.18, 0.0, 2.0' can also cause that, so do same for it. Trial & error as you don't know what the model is doing with these values when you trade sections (cnt pts, airplane geometry, fuel, engines, lights, views) one model cfg to another model cfg. I got lucky. They both were the same. The change of fuel, engine position, main gear, plane geometry, flaps lift, moi's, braking strength, was pure skill (hehe). Overspeed problem indicates need for mods to engine hp, prop moi, etc which will also take care of 'too much reverse'. The latter is pure mechanic wrenching. Not rocket science. But today is my day off so it's going to be done Monday. Or by 'next Tuesday'.

Chuck B

Napamule

Thanks for the tips Chuck. I think I have a better verion already.

Testing is taking a long time. I had a aircraft.cfg version changed, started fsx to test. Mad one small change, and "reload aircraft". Now had reverse. Thought: "ok, finished".

Closed fsx, and restarted. set up new flight. Again no reverse.

Reloaded aircraft - reverse was there.

All I copied were the [piston engine] and [propeller] sections.

I didn't change cog, or such, in the aircraft.cfg.

I think the flip was because the engines were in front of, and way above, the reference point. (in the airfile)

I changed those values in the airfile from +60 to +2

and such. That helped.

It was also because the engines were way overpowered.

I think the main reason for being overpowerered was:

prop_diameter= two.five times more then before

!!

There was one line which seemed blank, but winmerge said it was different from the blank line in the file with the L1649 sections!

I added a space to that line, then removed it.

Now winmerge said it was the same as the one in the working L1649 sections copy.

That same aircraft.cfg with only that edit, now had reverse right after loading the flight.

Before adding-removing a space it did not.:confused:

-->nevermind that, not woking again.

-->taking a break.:)

I think that at least means the "must restart fsx" time is now over. But maybe best to keep doing that anyway.

Next approach will be:

*start with the one that works now. (much, but not all of the "2sections version" in it),

*other settings back to default goose number one at a time.

(40 odd in total. Restarting fsx, and setting up flight in menu, each time.)

With the intention to find the minimum required changes to use with this airfile I created.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm making lots of progress. No more problem of only reverse-pitch-thrust after "reload aircraft".

Not sure why. Winmerge was creating .bak files. Probably because I had edited in, and saved from Winmerge. Maybe that caused it. I kept using Winmerge, but only to compare. Then closed it, and edited in notepad.

But also, now after loading the flight, I wait a while. That seems to make a difference too.

I click load flight, then do other thing, for example in firefox, and then go back to fsx when the flight has long loaded.

Reverse-pitch-thrust then works fine.

I reset values in the aircraft.cfg [piston engine] and [propeller] sections one at a time to Goose values. Only cyilinder size and such, leaving pitch related settings alone. Not done values all yet, but so far with every test it's still working.

I am starting to see that even with the aircraft.cfg sorted out,that and te .air file together, is not going to be easy to explain in a useful way. Plus, not related to this thread at all. Best if I not post more.

I am very happy with how the default Goose behaves at the moment. Reverse is very useful.

Have fun with that DC6. I did download it and may take a look later.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived