Bigger better?

Jim Hall

I'm still hard at it to optimize my FSX set-up. Again, many thanks to those who have helped me in this forum.

I purchased a new 55" TV just for FSX and found the graphics less sharp. Jagged lines and streaks. I played with the scenery and other graphic settings for hours and the graphics are still less than with my 22" HD monitor. I'm thinking to return the TV and purchase a 27" monitor but am worried that the increase in size will result in a corresponding decrease in graphics. Any advice? A special monitor?

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Intel core TM i5-6400 @ 2.7 ghz

Memory 8.00 gb

System: 64 bit x 64 based

Graphics: NVDIA GeForce GT-730

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I purchased a new 55" TV just for FSX and found the graphics less sharp. Jagged lines and streaks. I played with the scenery and other graphic settings for hours and the graphics are still less than with my 22" HD monitor. I'm thinking to return the TV and purchase a 27" monitor but am worried that the increase in size will result in a corresponding decrease in graphics. Any advice?

There is no way you can expect a 55" 1080p TV to look as good as your old monitor unless you sit further away. 1080p just isn't a very high resolution and you are limited to how big you can go and still have it look good. Likewise, a 27" monitor. You could get a 27" that displays a higher resolution (2560x1440 is common), which would look as good or better. Your other options are to get a 4K TV (which I doubt your computer could cope with) or a multi-screen setup. I am currently playing with three 32" TVs in portrait mode, which is essentially a 55" display but at a much better resolution than your 55" TV. Again, your computer may not be capable of driving this.

I have also tried a single 32" TV (1080p) and it's actually not a bad compromise. You would at least get the same performance as your present setup.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Hi Jim,

It seems that with comparable settings the quality of the graphics should be the same unless there was a problem with the TV.

Personally, I try to simulate what one would see in reality as closely as possible. I don't use the forced wide angle view and set the zoom to one. I mainly fly with a yoke and using the C172 for reference I have my 23" monitor at a distance so that when I direct my VC view downward to look at the yoke I see the same view as when I look down to see my CH yoke.

Maybe you have the TV too close and are just seeing graphic details that you don't notice with the smaller display?

Jim F.

Indeed, distance is a critical factor. At 55" the viewing distance should be somewhere between 7 and 12 feet. Anything closer is just going to not look as sharp. Obviously 4K is better but then, as above, there are issues about the system required to drive it. This may help explain what I'm saying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I use a 10 year old Mitsubishi 65" 1080p. The only issue I have is it has awful banding during dark scenes. But since I usually fly in the daytime everything is sharp and not a problem. I sit about 3' away so everything is right in my face.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hey dog,

Regarding the problem with dark scenes. There may be some setting that's adjustable in your TV that causes the problem. I suggest first setting up a situation where you are in the VC at night with clouds visible but no part of the cockpit displayed. Note the contrast between the clouds and the dark background and then pan so that some part of the cockpit is visible, which should be much brighter, and see if the clouds and dark sky view changes. It should remain the same. If not some dynamic contrast compensation is coming into play. I don't know about the Mitsubishi but on my Vizio I can burrow down into the settings and find something called "Adaptive Luma" and turning this on would cause the problem. I discovered this some years ago with the monitor I was using. If I enabled "Dynamic Contrast" I had the problem.

Jim F.

Um, what is the "VC"? I mean for those who really don't know...I mean....

I have a 32" RCA TV for my main monitor. I sit about 2 feet from it. I am happy with it.

You can check it out here:

Forgive the crappy resolution as I recorded this with my phone.

Watch to the end for a wide shot of the whole set up.

You will note that I use FS Panel to build gauge windows (the second lower monitor) to easily view gauges. I have found this set up 'eases' frame rates some what as the VC gauges are 'hidden' by way of my set up.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

Hey dog,

Regarding the problem with dark scenes. There may be some setting that's adjustable in your TV that causes the problem. I suggest first setting up a situation where you are in the VC at night with clouds visible but no part of the cockpit displayed. Note the contrast between the clouds and the dark background and then pan so that some part of the cockpit is visible, which should be much brighter, and see if the clouds and dark sky view changes. It should remain the same. If not some dynamic contrast compensation is coming into play. I don't know about the Mitsubishi but on my Vizio I can burrow down into the settings and find something called "Adaptive Luma" and turning this on would cause the problem. I discovered this some years ago with the monitor I was using. If I enabled "Dynamic Contrast" I had the problem.

Jim F.

Thanks Jim, I'll take a look at what you suggested.

Mitsubishi had a slightly more expensive Diamond model that had a feature called "Dark Detailerâ„¢ dynamic iris for deeper blacks and better contrast" that I wish I would of got, but I've never really messed with the settings so maybe it might help.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

My sincere thanks to all of you for taking time to comment on my graphics quality problem. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

Archived