getting flying again-widescreen

patcal

Hi all,

I have been out of touch not flying for awhile. My question is, I have always used a 4:3 ratio monitor using only 2D panels for my flying. 4:3 monitors have gone the way of the Dodo. I now have a HP 2509m. Some of my planes have OK widescreens but some like DA Fokker & Aeroworx B200 do not. When I try to fly in 3D, I get a lot of vertical tearing when I pan. I have FSX Steam but the lack of 2D panels is a problem. Just looking for some thoughts on this. Thanks.

Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan

AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB

16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi Pat, some payware aircraft are supplied with optional widescreen 2D panels and some, like Aeroworx, offer them as optional Updates to download from their websites.

The vertical tearing in 3D view could be an Antialiasing issue, if you have an NVidia graphics card you can use NVidia Inspector to fix this.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tiger,

Thanks for the reply. My video card is a Radeon HD 7970. I had the tearing with my old Nvidia also.

Pat

Pat Callaghan

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

If you search in the Library here under 'FS2004 - All Files' for 'Widescreen' you'll find 2D panels for some of the default planes, but by no means all of them. One workaround is to toggle from full screen mode to windowed mode by pressing Alt+Return, then click and drag the sides in equally until the gauges are round again.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Pat, for what it's worth, I can share with you the same issue when adding a second screen in "portrait" mode rather than the usual "landscape".

In your panel.cfg file, you should find in each [Windowxx] section, an entry of the form:

windowsize_ratio=1.0

You need to change that ratio to whatever ratio your screen has widened by. For example, if you've gone from 4:3 to 5:3 then you've increased by 5:4 , ie "1.25".

Also, down the bottom there is a section similar to:

[Default View]

X=0

Y=0

SIZE_X=1024

SIZE_Y=1280

You put in the two numbers corresponding to the actual SIZE(X,Y) of your screen.

Unfortunately, this solution is not very "robust", in the sense that it doesn't always work for all panels and all gauges. It seems that some gauges don't like being "re-aspected". The only way I could manage this was procedural - some gauges/panels always go on screen #1, some only on screen #2.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

My Radeon card does have a custom resolution settings but when I try to create a 4:3 resolution it says the display can't produce this setting.

Pat

Pat Callaghan

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

When I switched from XP to Win 7 I had to do all that. I hated seeing the borders, taskbar & icons. Before that I had always flown full screen. This is even more of a pain. Thanks for the input.

Pat Callaghan

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

PAT-PC-2017-feb-14-001.jpgJust figured out how to get a custom resolution. I rolled back to older Catalyst drivers & used a program called "Radeon custom resolution manager". After clicking on gpu scaling in Radeon settings I got this. Whohoo! Time to get flying. Thanks all.

Pat

Pat Callaghan

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

My 24" screen has this setting to resize to 23, 21"... but it also has an 'Aspect' setting.

I set the FS9 resolution to 1280x960, the screen to Aspect and I get a fullscreen 4:3 FS9 with 2 black bands on the sides.

Works for me...

DDP.

I will look into my monitor settings. Right now all I do is reset the resolution to 1440 X 1080 and I get the same thing. A 4:3 screen with black bands on the sides. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pat

Pat Callaghan

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Archived