Flight Planner, GPS and Altitude

who4ever

OK, just a quick one. When using Flight Planner, Direct-GPS, both VFR and IFR, the only altitude information on the Navigation Log is the altitude of the destination airport. The Flight Planner main page does show the cruising altitude but this is adjustable. So, has the cruising altitude been calculated by the Flight Planner so that I am a safe distance above all ground obstacles, or is it just a suggested one? And when using IFR, is it assumed I will be using ATC guidance, which makes the NavLog a moot point, because I will be following ATC directives?

Thanks, Dave

In my Sim I considdper that "suggested" altitude just that, a suggestion! It's usually safe, but stupid.

Treat it like the stopsigns in Europe......mere suggestions! (Personal experience)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes, the flight planner only shows the altitude of the destination airport. However, when making a direct flightplan, drag the red line to waypoints of your choice. You can drag it to VOR's NDB's intersections and other airports along the way and then the flight planner will show you the altitude you need to be at each waypoint.

Out of interest, is there a 3rd party flight planner that considers weather and optimal fuel use?

FlightSim Commander does, a few of the online ones do too.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived