Using Notepad for aircraft.cfg in FS-SE

louw

Hi: I use notepad to make changes to the aircraft config files. Its a bother to have to go through the find routine. I can see no place where I can tell my computer to always use notepad to open the config file. The only option that shows up is "do not show this window for .cfg format again." Is there a way to have notebook automatically open the .config files when I click on them?

Lou

Double click one. Win will ask what program to open it with. At bottom of that panel, put a checkmark in "always open this type of file with this program". Then select notepad in the window. If it's not there, use the 'browse' button to find notepad.exe file. Select it and click 'ok'.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Either right click or double left click opens a window called File Association Helper. This gives me a choice of: 'Search the web", 'Learn more about .cfg format" or "Search through Windows". Clicking on search through windows gives two choices, Notepad or Search through App Store. Also the choice, "Do not show this window for .cfg format again". Its just a pain in the whatever to have to go to that whole process every time I want to open a .cfg file. I thought there might be a way to persuade my computer to always use notepad when opening a .cfg file.

Either right click or double left click opens a window called File Association Helper. This gives me a choice of: 'Search the web", 'Learn more about .cfg format" or "Search through Windows". Clicking on search through windows gives two choices, Notepad or Search through App Store. Also the choice, "Do not show this window for .cfg format again". Its just a pain in the whatever to have to go to that whole process every time I want to open a .cfg file. I thought there might be a way to persuade my computer to always use notepad when opening a .cfg file.

You can. In every Windows version when using "open" or "open with" at some point there is a checkbox below the list with apps that says "always open this file with this program". How exactly this is done depends on your Windows version - which one is yours?

Here is an article about how to use the control panel for setting your default programs

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program

I use windows 10 with FS-SE. The program you mentioned is for use with Windows 7 and 8. I will check the control panel and see if there is a way I can tie the .cfg to notepad.

So, an hour and half later and I have tried various ways of doing this but nothing works. Apparently there is no such thing as .cfg. It does not show up on any list of file associations in Windows 10. Even Microsoft does not appear to have an answer. I tried the old dos method -- assoc .cfg=notepad and it tells me it can't do anything with .cfg. Looks like another black mark for windows 10.

Hi, I use Win 10 also and if I right click on a aircraft.cfg I get the option 'open with...' left klick and I am asked 'Editor' (meaning notepad) or searching the web. So I can open this file with notepad.

I think there is no difference between FSX, FSX-SE or other FS for opening cfg files.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

I use windows 10 with FS-SE. The program you mentioned is for use with Windows 7 and 8. I will check the control panel and see if there is a way I can tie the .cfg to notepad.

So, an hour and half later and I have tried various ways of doing this but nothing works. Apparently there is no such thing as .cfg. It does not show up on any list of file associations in Windows 10. Even Microsoft does not appear to have an answer. I tried the old dos method -- assoc .cfg=notepad and it tells me it can't do anything with .cfg. Looks like another black mark for windows 10.

You haven't set Win 10 to view system files. Fix that first.

I tried using various methods to have notepad automatically open .cfg when I click on it. No luck. Still had to go through the whole routine as previously mentioned. In the settings menu, Wordpad shows up but Notepad does not. However, I did find a quicker method of opening these files. Open notepad, click on the file you want to see or edit (eg: aircraft.cfg) Move it to notepad and it opens leaving the original in the aircraft file. Make your changes, save, and the changes will show up in the original file.

Archived