FSX from 2004 and Windows 8.1

edryan

Am thinking of reluctantly going to FSX from FS2004 which I love. Nobody seems to be making new products for FS2004 so here I am. Tried FSX before and found it cumbersome and was not user friendly at all on XP.

Now I am running Windows 8.1 on Asus computer and am reading about a lot of issues with FSX and 8.1. Would like to try PMDG 777 and Level D 767 on FSX.

Can anyone, in plain English, tell me if I will encounter problems with FSX/Windows 8.1. Is this change worth it? I am not a computer whiz so please make it lain English and a simple answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Ryan

First of all where did you install FSX because if installed in: 'C:\Program Files\FSX' you will have permission problems.

Second of all. You have to run FSX in compatability mode (for Wins 7). That cures most of the Win 8 AND Win 8.1 problems.

Then get 'uiautomationcore.dll' and drop it into your MAIN FSX FOLDER. You now should not get error when you go into menu via the ALT keypress.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I found Windows 8.1 to be a bit of a dog, just like Vista was.

I ran my sims, FS2004 (3x versions), FSX (now dumped) & P3D on my i5 4GB laptop, that I updated from Windows 7.

All working perfectly, with the UAC settings turned right down. The sims seem to run slightly faster as well.

At the time, I did an update from Windows 7 to 10, & all I had to do was to manually update my graphics drivers.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I have been running FS9 & FSX in W8.1 for over 3 years on my desktop, & FS9 & FSX on my laptop running W10. Once one has got over those initial problems as described by Napamule2, you should be well pleased with the result as I can fly with all sliders to the right on W8.1.

Good luck

Keith

I left one item out. When you get FSX running smooth you can install FS9 so you can enjoy that. Just get the 'no cd' patch as Win 7 thru 10 won't let FS9 run otherwise (ie: states it's 'incompatible' - yeah right). I still enjoy FS9 myself. There are some models you just can't inport into FSX. And I fly low & slow so I installed Bill Lyon's 'Silver Wings' upgrade. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Create a folder to install fsx in. In the root of a drive.

For example:

C:\FSX

C:\MyFSX

D:\MyFSX

something like that.

Then run the installer from the DVD, select the "advanced install" option, and install fsx in the folder you created.

By doing that the fsx files won't end up in: C:\program files. THat is a good thing, as manually editing files in C:\program files is not easy in modern windows versions.

-----------------------------------------------

Another thing. With fs2004 you could use an old copy of the fs2004 folder, and run the program from it. SOme people seem to have several copies of the fs2004 folder on their pc and run a "different setup" from each one.

That won't work with FSX. FSX is linked to registry entries and activation.

Don't try to cleverly work around that. Just use it as it is supposed to be used.

------------------------------------------------------

Some planes in fsx have flight dynamics you won't find in fs2004.

Most notably, the F-18 fighter. In FS2004 planes are a bit overly stable. A fighter in FS2004 flies a lot like a beech baron. Stable.

THe F-18 in FSX has the natural instability that a real plane has too. Allows for quicker tuprns, barrel rols, etc.

Many of the old planes (addons) you were used to using in FS2004 will be available for fsx as well. Many people adapted the old versions to work in fsx. (added a few new gauges as the fs2004 ones didn't work, or edited a few texture files).

Just don't install files that are marked "FS2004". Instead go for the ones marked "FS2004/FSX" or the ones marked "FSX" in the file library.

----------------------------------------------------

If you run into trouble with fsx, just search the site, and if still unclear, ask.

Most things are easily fixable. And you'll learn fwhile fixing.

Just reinstalling fsx at the first sign of trouble doesn't teach you anything, and when you run into the issue again, you are stuck again.

--------------------------------------------------------

After you installed and activated fsx and you are ready to start playing.

Don't start playing just yet. First make a backup of the entire fsx folder.

You can't use it to completely reinstall. But a backup will be very handy if you ever accidentally delete a default file. You can then simpliy restore the file from the backup.

With FS2004 you could get the default files from the install DVD.

With FSX you can't. So make that backup.

-----------------------------------------------------

Some programs you used for fs2004 won't work very well with fsx.

for example, ttools makes only fs9 -type AI-trafficplans.

There is a newer program, called AIFP, which can make fsx-type trafficplans.

It can also convert fs9-type AI plans to fsx-type. (Sometimes needed, as WOAI traffic (for fsx) comes as FS9-type rafficplans.)

Using fs9-type plans is possible in fsx too, but if fs9 and fsx type plans are both installed in fsx, only the fs9-type plans will show up while flying.

With ADE as well. For fsx there is ADEX. A newer version.

Same for a newer version of Editvoicepack.

------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, FSX will be fine, we all used it with pleasure for years. (5-6 in my case).

Just don't start out thinking it will be the exact same as fs2004. Treat it as a new program.

Enjoy!

il88pp.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
I found Windows 8.1 to be a bit of a dog, just like Vista was.

I ran my sims, FS2004 (3x versions), FSX (now dumped) & P3D on my i5 4GB laptop, that I updated from Windows 7.

All working perfectly, with the UAC settings turned right down. The sims seem to run slightly faster as well.

At the time, I did an update from Windows 7 to 10, & all I had to do was to manually update my graphics drivers.

Hello,

May I ask what is your graphic card and i5 frequency?

I currently run FSX in medium-low settings (smoothly) on my i7 (2.4-3.4 ghz) 12gb ram and Nvidia Geforce 740M, but I would like to order P3D V2 or V3 and run it on this laptop until I can build a decent desktop... So, based on your experience, do you think I could do it at least as smooth as FSX?

Best regards,

Carlos Amaral

Archived