Hard drive problem? (fsx)

I'll preface with I'm NOT a techie.

After having everything tuned the way I wanted it, I didn't use my dedicated fsx/Windows 7 pc for several months. The next time I fired up the pc, it froze several times while loading windows (7). It eventually started up properly, but now my fsx directory listing my various flight set-ups no longer includes anything other than the basic "Bruce" ones included in the fsx/acceleration package. I have located the other set-ups in my c: directory, but they don't appear in the fsx "load" page.

My primary question is: Given the difficulty loading windows, is that a sign that my hard drive is starting to fail? If yes, I'll replace and likely do a clean install of fsx and orbx.

If not, I'm tempted to reinstall windows on my existing pc and reconstruct the fsx, orbx and saitek gear, in part because I currently have everything installed on a relatively small (full) "c" drive, with a 10x larger "d" drive sitting empty. I suspect I'm not technically savvy enough to go-in and fiddle with and repair the various file links that may now be corrupted in my current set-up.

Any advice?

Brian

Do you mean "load saved flight"? Or do you mean "missions"?

And what is the matter with orbx?

Same with saitek gear. Simply connecting should do it, right. Or did it not? And if not, did you try to re-calibrate yet? Successful?

How full is that c drive? How full is the drive fsx is on?

You want about 20% free at least on all drives.

The problem at startup sounds like windows did a 'system restore'. Used a restore point, because it couldn't start. And it reset the settings to the date of the restore point, when the computer did work.

That resets some windows settings. It also can return files like scenery.cfg (your fsx scenery library list, activated scenery's) fsx.cfg file (the fsx settings), and exe.xml and dll.xml (listing of addon programs and dll's that should be started together with fsx).

Sounds scary perhaps, but isn't. If means

-harddisk is fine, no hardware problem.

-files are quite easily fixable if needed.

(just add scenery's to library again, adjust your fsx settings as usual, add needed addon entry's to dll.xml and exe.xml file. That last two, just ask for help on forum if needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My advice is install FSX on D: drive. That is how most people have it. I do. C: is 1 Tb and D: is 1 Tb. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on C: drive and FS9 and FSX Accel on D: drive. Of course all my scenery is on D: drive where it belongs (I created a folder under FSX main folder and named it 'AddOn Scenery_CB' to install all scenery - the 'Default' 'AddOn Scenery' folder is EMPTY. I myself would start over and re-install Windows and clear up any 'issues' it might have or I will surely expect things to EVENTUALLY go 'south' at least opportune time. If Win operation is 'illogical' you fix with logical 'action'. Why fight it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Don't reinstall unless you have to. Simply re-run the ORBX library files (you will need to download the newest version) then run the new Migration tool that's included. This will put all the ORBX scenery back in its correct location.

Then plug in your Saitek stuff and see how the land lies.

Your current approach is akin to replacing the car because the windscreen wipers need replacing. Don't panic, approach the problems systematically.

With that said, before I would do ANY of the above you need to find out what caused your Win 7 installation to glitch. THAT is your only priority.

After that. if you do decide to reinstall the whole sim, which is not the chore most people claim it to be, utilise the opportunity to leave out the accumulated crap that you had installed, but never used. But it is only a choice, not a necessity.

My advice is install FSX on D: drive.

Chuck B

Napamule

+1

Games D drive.jpg

Never a problem to install or configure add-ons NOT being in C:\Program Files (x86)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Quote: 'With that said, before I would do ANY of the above you need to find out what caused your Win 7 installation to glitch. THAT is your only priority.'

Right! Spend the next 6 days on the internet reading (and not flying!). Or spend 6 hrs re-installing and KNOW you have a NEW registry. And peace of mind. Your call.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi brian,

I'm going to try to just respond to your initial post. I'm sure there's a lot in the replies you've received so I apologize if I'm duplicating anything already posted.

I don't believe your hard drive is failing. It's likely that Windows was being updated and by having the computer off as long as you did would account for the delays.

As you're using Windows 7 here's something you might find helpful: by right-clicking on the desktop you'll see "Gadgets". By clicking it and then double-clicking "CPU Meter" you'll have a desktop indication of just how busy your computer is. It's kind of frustrating sitting there when the computer seems to be doing nothing.

When you said "...my fsx directory listing my various flight set-ups..." I didn't know what you were referring to so I'm not ignoring I just don't know how to respond.

If after all the advice you've received it still sounds like you might re-install windows I really suggest looking into a SSD. Of course, I don't know your system and if a re-install was from a reserved section of the HD there might be a problem but I would certainly investigate the possibility. And the load time of FSX on an SSD alone would warrant the purchase.

Jim F.

Archived