Fuel pumps. When do they cone into use?

lazorbeam

Other than flipping the switches on for the pumps and listening to the noise they make, I have never really found a good use for them. Probably in the payware models is where they come into play. Maybe they need to be on if you are transferring fuel between tanks.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Re. pdf for Sibwings Birddog, the fuel boost pump is used to pressurize the fuel system for priming and starting and to provide a back up for the engine-driven fuel pump during take-off and landing.

Have no idea if this is recognized by FSX or is just a procedure thing to simulate realism. Never had to use it on any plane, perhaps is used by some damage addon programs?

Greetings All,

Ant's Payware Tecnam Sierra and Eaglet, along with other payware I've flown, require the use of the fuel pumps to pressurize the fuel lines and deliver fuel to the carburetor. They won't start from cold and dark unless you do so.

Respectfully,

Brian

So I'm a competent enough pilot to fly everything aside from helis, and I've never found out when or if they have a use. Did I miss something in the tutorials?

Be specific about which aircraft and we can be specific about advice. Fuel pumps are generally used to pump fuel. They may also be used to back up alternative pumping sources, or enhance it.

Think about when that might be necessary in an aircraft and you have 93.4% of your answer.

In every be of the planes in game where I you can click the switch and hear the noise. I.e. All planes aside from the one seater and glider. And I know you probably use then when you're refueling but since I've never had to use them refueling, I'm asking if they're for show in game or if they have use. I should've asked that outright but that would make it simple.

In GA flying the loss of the regular fuel pump is catastrophic at take off and landing, the engine stopping then can kill the pilot. Because of that an auxiliary pump is always fitted and switched on before take off and landing, taking over if the primary pump fails. The noise you hear is the sound of the auxiliary pump. In the A2A cherokee it is crucial for engine start.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

In GA flying the loss of the regular fuel pump is catastrophic at take off and landing, the engine stopping then can kill the pilot. Because of that an auxiliary pump is always fitted and switched on before take off and landing, taking over if the primary pump fails. The noise you hear is the sound of the auxiliary pump. In the A2A cherokee it is crucial for engine start.

On many turbine powered (or turbo prop) aircraft there are mechanical or electro-mechanical fuel pumps that "suck" fuel to the engine from the fuel tanks using negative pressure. The aircraft can typically start and be operated on these fuel pumps alone. However, if there is a leak in any of the fuel lines or connections they will "suck" air in and this can lead to engine failure. So many aircraft have secondary fuel pumps that charge the fuel lines by "pushing" fuel from the tanks to the engines. This way, if there should be a leak in the fuel system, it may cause fuel to push out of the fuel system, but it will not suck air into the system. So that a leak does not necessarily result in a system failure. Turbines are especially sensitive to any sudden disruptions of fuel or air flow.

Typically they are simulated for procedure purposes only, because to the pilot, there is no difference in behavior.

(Source: I modeled a popular dual turbine helicopter, one that uses the same turbines used on many other popular aircraft such as the King Air and 1900s among others. I had the chance to work with the manufacturer's trainers and technicians, and asked this specific question regarding the fuel pumps when I was modeling the cockpit functionality).

And, if it's the helicopter I'm thinking of, not only are the systems wonderfully modeled, but the flight characteristics are as well. It s definately one of my favorite helicopters of all time.

I know what our real-life helo pilots say, but *I* sure love flying it, hovering it high and low to the ground, you name it. I even put in the aircraft.cfg entries for the hoist and sling equipment, and it's great with those too!

Thank you, Mr. Moore, for some truly wonderfull machines. Freeware, at that! Not just the one, if it is the one I am thinking of, but several others as well.

I'd also like to thank you for the amazingly useful information contained in your two articles on how to make the sim more accurate, helicopter friendly I guess, mostly using the .air file, although quite a bit involves the aircraft.cfg as well.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Be specific about which aircraft and we can be specific about advice.

I should've pointed that out but that would make things easy for everyone. ^_^ Sorry bout that. My question was based around the 747-400 but it goes for the 800, Cessna C172SP and the Mooney Bravo which are the main ones I fly.

I should've pointed that out but that would make things easy for everyone. ^_^ Sorry bout that. My question was based around the 747-400 but it goes for the 800, Cessna C172SP and the Mooney Bravo which are the main ones I fly.

747-400 - prior to start, remain on until shutdown

747-800 ditto

172 SP on for start and takeoff, off until approach

Mooney - ditto, but also on for change from left-right tank, then off again.

I haven't looked (that's your job) but I think you will find this all very clearly stated in the checklists for each aircraft... accessed from either the kneeboard or the Learning Center.

Also, this was all more than satisfactorily covered many years ago in this very forum

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?213777-Fuel-Pump/page1

You WILL find it useful to use the `search` function. FSX has been around for a decade, there are no unanswered questions anymore, except relating to newer hardware and software.

In order, your procedure for information gathering should be:

1: FSX learning center

2: Search function in the forum

3: Google search

4: Ask in the forum

Archived