FSX shuts off my keyboard when im flying! VERY RECENT PLEASE HELP

FSXmarc

Ive decided to do a system restore before it had updated, the question now is how can I disable auto updates?

As you have W10 you can't - if you have the Pro version of W10 you can DELAY some updates for a short time period but MS will 'force' the update if you delay it to many times.

WRT to the problem - Why the suspicion that the updates are the cause - it is clearly not the case as it only affects FSX. A problem caused by an update that affects keyboard usage is highly unlikely (unless it is has dedicated drivers etc, which you have ruled out as you state you did a reinstall of them) and would manifest itself in all apps. It is also more likely to make even the simplest of tasks difficult or even make the keyboard totally unusable.

The issue is probably related to either an inadvertent settings change or a corrupted standard.xml file (this file contains the keyboard/joystick settings and is stored at C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls).

Try one of the following:

1. Go to FSX settings > Controls page and reset the keyboard settings to default and then test. If OK, change the key assignments to your needs.

2. Delete the current standard.xml file and start FSX. FSX will build a new file which will contain the default settings. Test/reconfigure as with Option 1.

Regards

Brian

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As you have W10 you can't - if you have the Pro version of W10 you can DELAY some updates for a short time period but MS will 'force' the update if you delay it to many times.

WRT to the problem - Why the suspicion that the updates are the cause - it is clearly not the case as it only affects FSX. A problem caused by an update that affects keyboard usage is highly unlikely (unless it is has dedicated drivers etc, which you have ruled out as you state you did a reinstall of them) and would manifest itself in all apps. It is also more likely to make even the simplest of tasks difficult or even make the keyboard totally unusable.

The issue is probably related to either an inadvertent settings change or a corrupted standard.xml file (this file contains the keyboard/joystick settings and is stored at C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls).

Try one of the following:

1. Go to FSX settings > Controls page and reset the keyboard settings to default and then test. If OK, change the key assignments to your needs.

2. Delete the current standard.xml file and start FSX. FSX will build a new file which will contain the default settings. Test/reconfigure as with Option 1.

I tried this but it still dosen't work, one thing I have noticed is that when playing FSX I cant use the caps lock button everytime I turn it on it turns right back off and after 2 or 3 hours the keyboard freezes including the power button.

Im using a Lenovo Y700 and was wondering maybe there is a driver for the BIOS or firmware im missing? I dont know which though

Do note I had both AV + UAC + FIREWALL disabled when the computer had updated.

The question is what, ive had numerous issued with FSX over the past 8 years but this is by far the biggest one.

I don't even know whats causing it what I do know is that:

1. Happens only with FSX

2. Happen immediatley after windows had updated itself to the latest 2 patches

3. Caps lock cant be turned on while it could before the update and then 2 or 3 hours later the keyboard freezes and the power button as well.

Maybe I should update my Nvida graphics drivers? I dont know im so lost

Because I think it's the update that caused the issue t may have installed something, the update is gone but that something is still there interfering.

I've looked up something about the BIOS and firmware but I still don't know what to do next.

Nah. Updates are just software. Install it, effect is there right away. Uninstall it, effect is gone.

Don't use caps lock in fsx.

And don't assign functions to keys like caps lock, shift, alt, etc. Those are very specific keys, with windows functionality.

You can fly for hours problem free. So it's not a software issue.

Fsx freezing after a couple of hours is hardware/driver/heat type issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nah. Updates are just software. Install it, effect is there right away. Uninstall it, effect is gone.

Don't use caps lock in fsx.

And don't assign functions to keys like caps lock, shift, alt, etc. Those are very specific keys, with windows functionality.

You can fly for hours problem free. So it's not a software issue.

Fsx freezing after a couple of hours is hardware/driver/heat type issue.

Sounds about right! If an update issue that is just affecting FSX, wouldn't there be a lot more complaints about it here in the forums or at the "other" site?

Keep the lappie off of your lap and make sure to have proper airflow around and under it!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Because I think it's the update that caused the issue t may have installed something, the update is gone but that something is still there interfering.

I've looked up something about the BIOS and firmware but I still don't know what to do next.

Again, as stated by me in my first post (#26) and by others, the cause of the problem is not due to the update - its unfortunate but only a coincidence that it has manifested itself after the update, they are not connected.

WRT BIOS/Firmware - Again it is not likely to be the cause of the issue. The same thing would apply with these items as I stated before regarding it only affecting FSX - BIOS/Firmware issues would affect the whole computer and is more likely to cause more severe issues like not booting or regular crashes.

WRT to turning off AV/UAC/Firewall during updates - these should have no affect on an update, or indeed any other downloads, especially one from MS. By tuning them off, especially the AV and firewall, you are simply leaving your rig wide open to Viruses/Malware/Hackers. WRT UAC - it designed to stop malicious actions by viruses etc from making changes to important system files and can have an impact when installing stuff. For some its a necessary tool, for others its a PITA. Some people will keep it on max, some will scale it back a bit and others will turn it off completely.

WRT to the actual problem - it clearly lies with the either the FSX configuration, a possible issue/conflict with the joystick and/or less likely the mouse(a real possibility if you only use the joystick with FSX and not GTA) or a hardware problem.

If you followed my suggestion in my earlier post we can rule out the first option. For the second option you could try a flight without the joystick - difficult but not impossible. Select a slow aircraft, such as the default Caravan, so that you can get airborne using the appropriate keys to control the flight controls and once airborne use the Autopilot to fly. If the fight is OK then there is a conflict of some sort when the joystick is plugged in.

WRT the third option - In an earlier post you mentioned that you had viewed the events log for info and noticed an entry regarding a EC timeout/unable to connect error. The EC is an Embedded Controller, which has many functions, which in laptops include monitoring/controlling the battery charge state and, in many cases, keyboard functions. The reference to the BIOS in the info is generally generic, simply because the main cause of such an issue being experienced with the EC is a user 'flashing' the BIOS to update it and the 'flashing' going wrong or an incompatible BIOS update was used. As you state you haven't done this we can rule it out.

Another cause of an EC problem is related to the battery. Leaving the laptop on for excessive periods connected to the mains can cause issues as can fully draining the battery and then recharging it frequently. IF you do use a laptop mainly as a 'desktop', best practice is to run it on battery for a period every now and then - in fact most modern laptops are capable of 'auto-draining' the battery at regular intervals whilst it is connected to the mains, the drain is small, usually 5-10% and is controlled by the EC.

To see if the EC error is causing the problem use the following procedure to 'reset' it:

1. With the laptop on do a 'hard' switch off by pressing and holding the power button until it starts to power down - usually the button needs to be held for about 3-4 seconds, if it starts to reboot you have held it to long, let it reboot fully and then try again. DO NOT do a 'soft' switch off using the Start menu shutdown option.

2. Remove the mains cable from the laptop and then remove the battery.

3. Wait 5-10 mins and then insert the battery and mains cable.

4. Power up the laptop. Windows will probably display a message about not closing properly and offer a choice of restart options - use the Start Windows As Normal option.

If, after carrying out these actions, the problem still exists AND is only affecting FSX then a reinstall of FSX may be the only way forward.

Regards

Brian

I've had my laptop connected to main power for months, should I drain the battery and then try again? Maybe that would fix the issue.

Are there any services in the background responsible for the keyboard functions and EC controller? Also what device is responsible for the EC controller and keyboard I was thinking of just re-installing the driver updates for them but I don't know which devices they are if they are plug and play

I have disabled anti virus since it interferes with my add ons and I've been having issues with lag since the AV software scans FSX.

I have installed the Aerosoft Airbus A321/320 but I had no issues for 12 days before this had started happening.

The caps lock button dosent work however the num lock still works it's only the caps lock that dosent and it didn't do this before I had this issue. I know if the caps lock button won't turn on when I'm playing FSX I know the keyboard will freeze in a matter of hours.

HOWEVER I noticed when I exit full screen and click out of FSX window the keyboard caps lock works again but when I click back to FSX's window the caps lock dosent work again. Either way if the caps lock dosent work in FSX when I start it up then the keyboard will freeze. Is there a way for me to unfreeze it or restart the device?

Are there drivers for the Lenovo Y700 idea pad maybe I need to get?

I think what happened is that the update may have installed a driver this is either incompatible or is very buggy, I've deleted the update although sadly some pieces of the Windows 10 critical update still presents itself on my computer such as Cortana and the advanced Notification Center, these weren't present on my system before the update so while I may have removed it some pieces still remain probably including the drivers.

Many people say this would be a hardware issue but if that really was the case then it would fail generally and not only for FSX. This issue is isolated completely to FSX I've tried reseting the keys and standard.xml.

I could try uninstalling the Airbus from Aerosoft since I heard it has a custom FBW that may or may not be causing these issues.

What would help is maybe since we're computer whizzes by FSX I can I've you my BIOS version number and if one of you runs Windows 10 and have the latest updates we can compare. If we have different numbers then it means my BIOS is out of date and that would solve the issue by updating the BIOS.

In response to your post at #36 - in order of your comments..........

Yes and no - Yes to running on battery power every so often will lessen the risk of an battery related EC issue but if possible never fully drain the battery - take it down to about 15% or so at most. No to fixing the issue - you need to do a hard reset as I have described in my earlier post.

Yes there will be services running that will have some interaction with the EC and keyboard process but if they were not running then, at best, you would experience the same problem with all installed programs and not just FSX, worst case you would not be able to use the computer. WRT to driver updates - why? Again, if the problem only affects FSX then the drivers must be OK and functioning correctly otherwise you would have issues with GTA and other programs.

Check you AV product documentation - most can be switched to a 'quiet' mode so that they don't do intrusive actions such as scans but are still working in the background to protect your rig. If your AV suite is not capable of doing this I suggest that you get one that can or only disable your AV when using FSX whilst not connected to the internet.

An install of an addon is unlikely to cause the keyboard to stop working - some may change the key assignments but they are very rare and the documentation will tell you if it does make changes.

WRT the Caps lock/full screen statements - Have you tried running in Window mode - press Alt + Enter to switch modes.

As suggested by il88pp visit the manufacturers website. Some manufacturers include an update utility/tool as part of the bloatware they install - look in the start menu for any likely entries.

In response to your post at #38 - in order of your comments..........

As per my comments above regarding Driver updates..........that said, if WU had installed a new driver it would be easy to identify as it would be in its own KB package. The only way to remove the update in its entirety is to uninstall every update with the same install date - however, this is futile as WU will reinstall then anyway AND, as has been repeated many times in this thread, the update is unlikely to be the cause.

As you have stated yourself, the issue is isolated solely to running FSX - your comments here read like a 'criticism' of those trying to help you. What makes matters worse, in this regards, is the fact that YOU keep on insisting that a WU is the cause of the problem - if that was the case it would have the same results as a hardware problem.

Why uninstall? Does the problem only manifest itself when using this particular product? Many users will be using the product with no problems. I don't have the product but a quick glance at the Aerosoft support page for it shows that there is a workaround for a known FBW issue (which doesn't affect the keyboard but does cause issues with its flying dynamics) - 3 switches located on the overhead need turning off - look at the manual or go to the Aerosoft support page. Although I only had a quick glance I saw no reports of the product causing the keyboard to freeze.

Again why? A BIOS problem will affect the whole computer and not just a single program on the computer.

So the way forward as I see it, is to try each of the following actions. Do them in any order BUT only do one at time, testing thoroughly before attempting another.

Try running/testing in Windowed Mode.

Try flying without the joystick, as suggested in my last post, if you haven't already done so.

Try deleting the current FSX.cfg file, start FSX and let it build a new one.

If the problem only occurs whilst using the Aerosoft product, switch off the FBW option and test.

You haven't stated what version of FSX you are using. If you are using the boxed version and you are making a lot of mouse clicks during a flight (to make switch changes or by using the menus) it could be something as simple as placing a copy of a file called uiautomationcore.dll into the root directory of FSX. There are two versions of the file and they can be found at the links provide. You only need one of them - the first listed is the one that seems to work for most users but if it doesn't work, try the other.

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.6001.18000

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mik2mlqdz1w/UIAutomationCore.zip

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/U/UIAutomationCore.dll/6.0.5840.16386/download.html

As I have stated the UIAutomationCore file must only be placed in the root folder of FSX (ie C:\FSX) and no where else.

Regards

Brian

Guys

JUST DID A TEST FLIGHT WITH ANOTHER PLANE THE PMDG 737 FOR 5 HOURS THE KEYBOARD DIDNT FREEZE!

All I did was turn off NUM LOCK and use a different plane!

I'm doing another test flight let's see how this goes!

P.S. It has been a while since I got uiatomationcore.dll maybe a new version came out the past year?

WRT to the uiautomationcore file - Don't waste your time. The only two versions guaranteed to work with FSX are the ones I have listed. They originate back in the XP/Vista days (the OSs that FSX was designed to run on). The very reason that you need it is because newer versions are incompatible with FSX. If you do a search the C:\ drive of your computer you will probably find other versions of the file located within the Program folders - DO NOT DELETE/REPLACE ANY OF THEM.

Basically, the way an installed program works if it needs a specific version of a file (such as the uiautomationcore.dll) it first looks within its own folder structure for it. If it finds it, it loads and uses it. If it doesn't find it in its own folder structure it then searches other folders until it finds a suitable version - in the case of FSX, as it is a 32 bit program, this would be the Program(x86) folder and then loads it. However, unless you are using XP or Vista, the file will be incompatible, hence the issues associated with its use. It must be remembered that later OSs (W7/8/10) will make use of the version of subject file located in the Program(x86) folder and, therefore, if you were to place the XP/Vista era file in this folder, overwriting the W7/8/10 era one, at best some programs will fail to run whilst at worst your rig may experience crashes. Hence the reason why we only place the file in the FSX root directory.

WRT to the A321 - I presume that you have the FBW option selected. If so and the flight fails, deselect the FBW and then test again. If it test OK then obviously the FBW module is at fault. If the flight fails then there is an obvious issue with product or, more likely, its installation. Either way, it gives you a clear path to investigate further.

First port of call must be the Aerosoft support page to see if there are any other reports regarding the issue and if there are any known fixes. Also ensure that you have updated the product to its latest available patch status (if any are available). Also check that your rig meets ALL of the requirements to run the product - this includes any 3rd party (ie non Aerosoft) software requirements there may be. It could be that the product requires a specific version of something that you don't have installed, certain utilities like .NET and Visual C++ libraries for example. Ii must be remembered that, although a product is designed to run on a application (ie FSX in this case) it may require additional versions of common libraries (like those mentioned ) that FSX itself doesn't need.

Regards

Brian

Guys

Just did a 2nd successful test flight with the A321 all I did was turn off num lock and normally after 3 hours it would freeze no longer.

The question is why would num lock cause the keyboard to freeze?

What is the purpose of the uiautomationcore.dll

Glad that you are up and flying. What you could do is confirm whether the problem is with the A321 product or with FSX itself. Your post at #40 suggests that you have only been flying the A321 when the problem happens so, to answer your Q as to why the use of the key causes the keyboard to lock, you have to do more testing.

Turn it back on and try another flight in FSX using a default aircraft or the PMDG 737. If FSX freezes as before then the problem must lie somewhere within the FSX configuration. If it doesn't then the problem is with the A321 configuration.

WRT the purpose of the uiautomationcore.dll - To put it simply, its a file that allows 3rd party software/apps to interact with the OS - in the case of FSX it main purpose seems to be to allow a user to interact with menu system and 'click spot' areas within the cockpit (ie the switches etc). For more detailed info on what it is see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_UI_Automation

Regards

Brian

GUYS IVE GOT OUTSTANDING NEWS

The issue has been fixed!

A lovely lady at Lenovo had updated my firmware/BIOS and that has solved the issue, I have now flown 2 flights without any problem.

I now consider this PROBLEM SOLVED ;)

Thank you guys so much for your support you have pulled me through this and I couldnt have asked for a better community!

Archived