Airport Parking Theory

TheRedBadger

This isn't much of a "help me" topic, but more of a "I think this is FS9's Logic Behind Parking" thread.

Actually I really could just write down the prioritization in a list for determining where to park.

1.) Airline parking code

2.) Least shared gate

3.) Smallest parking spot where the aircraft can still park

4.) Order of gates (i.e., in the AFCAD, the gates at the top are assigned before those below).

2 and 3 might be flopped; I would think if two gates would be available, one with 10 codes but just the right size for a 757, versus one with one code but being slightly bigger, that the bigger gate would be assigned so that other airlines can still park at the gate where they are allowed to do so.

Once an aircraft can no longer park where codes do not permit them to do so, they will occupy those gates anyways so long as the radius is large enough to handle it, and will disappear if no big enough gate is available. This explains why aircraft park at gates where they are not assigned by the sim to do so. MMMX is one example since it's a super-crowded airport, and airplanes are scattered everywhere. I had to create some lots just so they don't loiter everywhere.

Anymore I could add?

Also for some reason, I found it odd that a 737 landing at Love Field disappeared upon touchdown when in fact, there were plenty of empty gates available. What may have caused that?

Carlos Si

Parking types ....Cargo;ramp;gate etc

Parking areas .....Gates A; Gates B etc

AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy has a good set of help notes which explain.

ps..Love Field...was there a runway taxiway on the runway; and was there a taxiway from the runway to the parking spots ?

Also for some reason, I found it odd that a 737 landing at Love Field disappeared upon touchdown when in fact, there were plenty of empty gates available. What may have caused that?

The gates were too small for the 737.

Or there was no contiguous path to them from the runway.

AI that disappears on roll out does so due to a lack of available parking.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Sometimes the author of the aircraft has put a parking code in the cfg, I often wonder does that effect parking sometimes at certain airports.

What I mean is if the parking code is ABC and there is no gates or ramps with ABC as a code will the aircraft go to the furthest spot on the airfield?

... if the parking code is ABC and there is no gates or ramps with ABC as a code will the aircraft go to the furthest spot on the airfield?

Default ATC does not use "furthest" as a scoring criteria for determining parking assignments.

Sans an available, properly sized spot with the ABC code, (assuming there is Gate or Ramp declared in the aircraft.cfg) the sim will go down the list looking for the smallest (big enough for that plane), non-airline coded, correct type, available parking.

If it does not find any available it will start using airline-coded spots.

The only criteria that controls parking in all circumstances is the size.

As parking fills up the sim will eventually ignore all other criteria to find spots big enough for the AI.

This is why you see C172's parked at jetways and airliners out in the back 40's.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The reason I say this is because I've often seen a small aircraft land, maybe only 1 other aircraft parked and it will taxi all around the airfield and park a long way off, and sometimes pass spots exactly the same as the one it has parked on.

When I looked at the afcad there were no coded spots and a lot of the spots were the same size, so why did it pass those spots, is it because they are numbered?

The reason I say this is because I've often seen a small aircraft land, maybe only 1 other aircraft parked and it will taxi all around the airfield and park a long way off, and sometimes pass spots exactly the same as the one it has parked on.

When I looked at the afcad there were no coded spots and a lot of the spots were the same size, so why did it pass those spots, is it because they are numbered?

When an AI lands the sim scores all open spots based on several criteria.

The highest scored spot wins.

One of the criteria used to score spots is their position on the list of spots.

In your scenario the plane passed spots that were further down the list than the one it was assigned to.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Parking types ....Cargo;ramp;gate etc

Parking areas .....Gates A; Gates B etc

AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy has a good set of help notes which explain.

ps..Love Field...was there a runway taxiway on the runway; and was there a taxiway from the runway to the parking spots ?

Not sure, though I will study the AFCAD file.

The gates were too small for the 737.

Or there was no contiguous path to them from the runway.

AI that disappears on roll out does so due to a lack of available parking.

peace,

the Bean

Hrmm, I don't believe so since other FAIB 737s were parked at the gate just fine, unless I'm just now noticing that the 733 (or 735) is a bit longer than the 737-700 (which I believe it is) so it wasn't able to find a good spot. However, I could've sworn the parking gates at Love Field are all big enough to handle up to an a320.

Oddly enough, AIA's MD90 is actually smaller than the MD80, which requires just a 24 (meter?) parking radius as opposed to 25 which the MD80 needs to park.

Carlos Si

Hrmm, I don't believe so since other FAIB 737s were parked at the gate just fine,

It really does not matter what you believe, it has been known for years that when an AI disappears on roll out, it is because there is no place for it to park.

FWIW, the parking radius is defined in the model file by the model designer (we can change it though) and has absolutely nothing to do with the physical dimensions of the aircraft. It is just a value and you can set a B747 to have an 8 meter radius and you can set a Piper Cub to have a 60 meter radius.

Either way, if they have no place to park they will disappear on roll out.

I am not making this stuff up.

peace ,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

RedBadger - Here's what Opa would do (it's his own guide for user aircraft parking, but the principles apply to all aircraft):

Default V.I.P. Parking - For Your Aircraft

In case you have not already discovered it, there is a new "Guide" available in the library which will show you how to easily create reserved parking spaces at any airport (which has sufficient parking) for almost any aircraft you might be flying.

ATC will direct you properly to your parking spot (gate).

The filename is vip_park.zip

There is also a thread at Avsim with some feedback from those who are using the concept.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...id=48703&page=

This is a lot of fun and quite easy to do.

David "Opa" Marshall

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived