GPS not showing, no full screen, gauges disappear

vry

All the above problems suddenly appeared together. Because of problems with stability I had reinstalled FSX 2 months ago and it worked fine. The fact that all of them appeared together makes me believe that all of this is due to one fault.

FSX now occupies about 3/4 of the screen and nothing I can do changes this.

The gauge problems seems only to occur in FSX/FS2004 aircraft. The gauges briefly flash on and then disappear. I have had to use a new panel to circumvent this.

The GPS window fails to show the usual map. I believe that this can be fixed using new commands in the aircraft's air.cfg. But this is something new.

I have searched for answers in this forum, but I'm still in the dark.

Any help or comment would be much appreciated.

Cheers

System: Maingear Core i7, with NVidia 980 graphics and 16GB RAM.

This seems fairly odd! how long ago did this happen? Did you add anything new just before it happened? have you tried this download from the library to see if it will do a repair on your Gauges folder? gauges_recovery_fsx.zip

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The GPS window fails to show the usual map. I believe that this can be fixed using new commands in the aircraft's air.cfg. But this is something new.

I may be wrong, but I, personally, have never encountered anything in the .air file that can cause this. Or the aircraft.cfg, although the [Electrical] section may be missing a line needed for the GPS to operate. No power, or insufficient power, applied to the GPS, no display. Gauges are frequently written to require a certain switch, such as the Avionics switch or the Master switch, or both, to be in the ON position. However, the gauge will display, just not function. No display on the GPS, for example, or the Artificial Horizon laying off to one side and not responding, things like that.

Having said that, the above couldn't cause the GPS to flash then vanish. That is something else. I'm not sure, but I think (rarely) there is a .DLL file needed for gauges to function at all, let alone correctly. I believe this .dll file, whatever it is, may be corrupted or missing entirely.

I will do more research and post what I can find. Again, I am often in error, and may well be this time, but hey, it's a direction to look...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I have seen unexpected things happen when the "aircraft.cfg" file gets corrupted.

Try re-installing the original aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files for the affected plane(s) and see what happens. Also try switching back and forth between full and windowed mode to force windows to re-size and refresh the image.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

It just happened out of the blue.

No changes at all to FSX. Thanks for the gauges fix. I'll try this.

Re-installation looms. I had installed the Razbam Harrier, but it didn't show up, and I will have to reinstall. This aircraft has given me a lot of trouble since I bought it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar problem. Newbie, here. Just installed FSX. Does not fill the screen on my laptop. Only occupies the center of the screen i.e. black on the right and left sides.

Do I have to adjust some kind of setting???

I'm having a similar problem. Newbie, here. Just installed FSX. Does not fill the screen on my laptop. Only occupies the center of the screen i.e. black on the right and left sides.

Yes, full screen is available. Check Learning Center in the sim itself for details. You want the section containing the key commands.

Your FSX resolution is not matched with your laptop screen resolution. They should be the same.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

You can make it larger by left clicking the edges and making it your size. I prefer this to the 'Shift+Enter' full screen because I can then get to my screenshot program (Faststone)

There are- or can be - issues with that approach: Read the forum for details.

You can make it larger by left clicking the edges and making it your size. I prefer this to the 'Shift+Enter' full screen because I can then get to my screenshot program (Faststone)

Black frames on the right and left means that his screen resolutions do not match. No amount of clicking and dragging will get rid of those, only a change in the FSX options.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived