Captain Sim C-130 - Electrics startup problem

martinstebbing

I have been Googling all afternoon, but with no solution. Could anyone kindly help with this? It's the electrics startup I have an issue with, rather than engines:

When I set things up via the battery, rather than via external power, none of the lights external will stay on. Basically, I do this:

Battery - TO ISOLATED DC BUS

Co-Pilots AC Instruments - ISOLATED DC BUS

AC INST & FVM CONT - ESSENTIAL AC BUS

GTC Door Switch - OPEN

GTC Main Switch - START

Wait for the GREEN light...

Bleed Air Valve Switch - OPEN

ATM Control Switch - ON

ATM Generator Switch - RESET then move to ATM GENERATORS

I can then get internal lights OK, but the external lights, like NAV, won't come on. If you hold down the 'L' key, they flash on then go off. With the electrics set up as above, I should be able to get NAV lights on, no?

If I go via the external power route, then there is no problem, the lights all work. But I'd like to be able to get things right with the battery too - the manuals do not indicate any problems with this.

Thanks for any help!

Martin

I found this in 5 minutes on the Just Flight forums:

"This is how I get the electrics to work

Battery ON

GTC ON

GTC Door Open

Switch to Start

When GREEN "ON SPEED" light comes on switch the air bleed valve to OPEN

ATM switch ON

On electrical panel IO switch the ATM to reset, then to on.

Inverters switches like this

Co-Pilot instruments aligned with the YELLOW line

AC Instruments and Equipment aligned with the GREEN line

With this you should have full electric power"

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Only when using the battery* Bus tie switch - TIED

Provides a mean for powering the main ac bus from the AT

M generator during ground operation with no engine-driven

generators supplying power. This is not needed when using

external power, since it also powers the AC bus.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think you'll find the answer in this thread, post#13:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim/JDSC1q9AhHs

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I think you'll find the answer in this thread, post#13

Thank you - that's my own thread! Haha - after 7 years (and hardly using the C-130 since) I had completely forgotten about its existence! (Can't help but wonder why so much Googling earlier didn't lead me to it!).

Only when using the battery* Bus tie switch - TIED ....

Yes, I am following the KLRF - KDYS Briefing, but still, no matter what I do, I can't get the three red AC lights to go out (and hence have external lights) unless I establish ground power first, from the FS9/CS menu bar. The DC Bus Tie switch (as I noted in that thread from 2009) makes no difference to the AC Power of course, only DC.

Thanks for the replies - the manuals say that you can start up without ground power connected, but looks as if I shall always have to use it. No further forward than 7 years ago it seems!

Martin S. :)

Oh, one other little thing.. When I run the GTC I get the noise of the start-up, but as soon as the green light comes on, the sounds go dead and I have stony silence...

That is a bug, I see:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138216116

Mention there of it being 'fixed in the SP', but I can't locate one. There's no obvious download link on the CS site, though this post does allude to one:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1133207678

I bought the FS9 C-130 in 12/2009 - maybe the download included the SP? The file I have backed up is csc130_1100.exe, which would suggest so at least. In which case, the GTC issue wasn't fixed after all. I'd submit a ticket on CS, but I think they reject all tickets for this FS9 stuff.

I managed to fix one or two sound issues by Googling and finding fixes, but I can't locate anything so that the GTC keeps sounding after start up, instead of suddenly and very noticeably going dead. I think it's a gauge problem, not anything in the sound.ini file, so probably not much to be done.

Electrics issue all fine, as long as I start with ground power enabled. Looks like I might as well give up with any idea of starting from batteries alone? The problem, as has been noted elsewhere, is that the manuals refer to both a DC and an AC Bus Tie switch in the OH panel - but there's only one for DC in practice. Maybe I can import one from another aircraft and test again...

(I see the CS 'Legendary C-130' is now selling for €9.99 on the Captain Sim site! What a bargain that is!!)

M.

Archived