Pilot records question

I have a question about the pilot records in FSX - specifically the logbook.

It appears that some of my flights show up in the logbook adding to my flight hours, but several flight do not. Is there a setting for this I need to check? I would like all my flights to be included in my log.

It is possible to not have a take-off, but you have to have a landing to make is a "flight" for the logbook to record.

Every time I fly a helicopter, it doesn't record a take-off, unless it has wheels and I roll down the runway a little bit, but every time I touch down at or near an airport in one, it counts for the logbook.

That's how I figured this little thing out. If you don't land someplace, anyplace (it will use the nearest airport), than it won't be a "flight". Like if the sim crashes, you "End Flight" before you land, you ctrl+c or whatever, no flight in the log.

Crashes don't count either. If you crash your plane, then get out before you land someplace, no flight.

Also, be very careful editing the logbook entries. It has a nasty habit of corrupting the logbook if you do, then the sim won't start, you have to repair the logbook.bin file...it's a bit of a pain.

Does this help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

in almost every instance I have landed. Usually I fly the CRJ700 or the 737. I'll land at the airport, sometimes I don't taxi much and then take back off.

Would I need to taxi to a specific area on the ramp for the flight to be considered complete?

That's a possibility! I will almost always pull off the runway and get my gate assignment from Ground Control. I don't like leaving my passengers stranded out on the runway. I also always start my flights from a ramp or gate parking spot. I only use a runway start when testing an aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

WRT to the issue of doing 'touch and goes' and the recording of it in the logbook. From my experience, having done so many times, I have noticed that ALL wheels must touch the runway. It also seems that you have to travel a short distance down the runway for the event to be recorded. Simply letting the main wheels 'kiss' the runway before applying power to climb again doesn't seem to register.

WRT logbook corruption - As Pat pointed out, the logbook can be prone to corruption even when carrying out the simple task of opening/viewing an entry. There are plenty of Logbook tools out there that will allow you to better Edit/Save/Backup the logbook but a simple one that does the trick for me is FSX Logbook Recovery by Daniel van Os - search the library using his name or for the filename fsxlog11.zip. The tool doesn't have an option to edit records but offers a simply way to analyse, backup and recover/restore the logbook. When you view the analysis report any T and Gs are shown in the form of bracketed entries.

Regards

Brian

I second Brians info: ALL the wheels have to touch the runway to count as a landing. Just touching the mains, then going again, doesn't count. Gotta drop the nose down too.

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thank you for the input. I'll experiment with it some more.

The piece on restoring the logbook, or modifying the log book went way over my head.

On another note that was brought up, how do you go about getting a gate assignment from ground control? And also, how do you start a flight from a gate? Usually in free flight, when I set up my departing airport it automatically places me at the end of the runway.

Use the drop-down in your flight planner to choose a starting position other than active runway. Some small rural airport out there in Poedunkville may only have active runway as the only choice. You may need to find an updated version of that airport.

airport.JPG

MrZippy is correct as usual. The trick is when you select an airport make sure you select a starting location other than "Active Runway" before you click OK.
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Use the drop-down in your flight planner to choose a starting position other than active runway. Some small rural airport out there in Poedunkville may only have active runway as the only choice. You may need to find an updated version of that airport.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]190656[/ATTACH]

Found it and got that working. Thanks!

I think the problem may be how I end my flights. Each time I complete a flight, I have to control, Alt, Delete to task manager and close the application.

If I go to the menu bar on the top of the screen, and select Flights, and then end flight, the screen goes black, but doesn't exit the flight or even give me a dialog box asking if I want to end the flight.

Any idea how to fix this?

That was it! Its how I was exiting the sim. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to shut down properly.

Thank you to all that tried to offer assistance!

Hit "Escape" after landing, taxiing to your gate, etc. This will bring you to the option screen of END FLIGHT-CONTINUE FLIGHT-REVIEW FLIGHT. Choose END FLIGHT and you will return to the starting screen so you can do another flight or end FSX properly.

Hit "Escape" after landing, taxiing to your gate, etc. This will bring you to the option screen of END FLIGHT-CONTINUE FLIGHT-REVIEW FLIGHT. Choose END FLIGHT and you will return to the starting screen so you can do another flight or end FSX properly.

The option screen does not come up after hitting ESC or clicking End Flight from the menu. Just a black screen. But I found a "work around", so the log book is now recording. Thanks everyone!

after Esc the options may just be hidden.

Try Esc,

then Enter.

(the 'close flight' option is always selected, so enter should close it.)

(if that works, you can also try: Esc, downarrow, downarrow, Enter, to open the flight history map/altitudes)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived