Landing Separation

beroun

Hi,

I know this was tackled before and I did have a go with AI Smooth with not too much success. But just curious if any other attempts were made to separate aircraft on approaches and landings. It seems to be bit of non realistic feature in FS and achieving more realistic separation would be great.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Peter

JFK approach separation.jpg

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

I def prefer AI Seperation and does a good job if you have it configured pretty well for the airport you are flying into. But AI Smooth takes account of your aircraft where Separation does not but I quite often put AI Smooth on when I am on approach which gives me some room!

Hi Peter, I can recommend using both Ai Smooth and AI Separation together, but to get the best of both worlds you need to edit the Settings in both programs as below:

AI Smooth:

Distance of AI aircraft to landing aircraft: 5.000000

Distance of user aircraft to landing aircraft: 5.000000

Heading range for intercept: 1

Global approach fix distance: 0.000000

Minimum Separation time: 1

User plane response: Ticked

Show ATC message: Unticked

Landing release altitude: 3.000000

Min. centerline distance: 0.000000

Reduce speed on approach: Unticked

Speak ATC Messages: Unticked

Control Batchsize, Poll Interval, Command Delay: Unchanged

AI Separation:

Min Separation: 6

Desired Separation: 8

Refresh rate: 5

Heading difference: 20

No move zone: 6

Reduced separation zone start: 35

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Many thanks gents, will have a go at it.

Use both with above settings should reduce but not a complete fix to remove such situations. One needs higher AI taxi speeds, and a good AFCAD to help out those two programs

Out of curiosity, what is the default speed for AI on approach? I've never really known nor figured it out. It is obviously coded for different types but I'm sure for simplicity it's a general value. Thanks.

I imagine it is a speed added to the flaps-up stall speed which is defined in the aircraft.cfg file.

Hi Peter, I can recommend using both Ai Smooth and AI Separation together, but to get the best of both worlds you need to edit the Settings in both programs as below:

AI Smooth:

Distance of AI aircraft to landing aircraft: 5.000000

Distance of user aircraft to landing aircraft: 5.000000

Heading range for intercept: 1

Global approach fix distance: 0.000000

Minimum Separation time: 1

User plane response: Ticked

Show ATC message: Unticked

Landing release altitude: 3.000000

Min. centerline distance: 0.000000

Reduce speed on approach: Unticked

Speak ATC Messages: Unticked

Control Batchsize, Poll Interval, Command Delay: Unchanged

AI Separation:

Min Separation: 6

Desired Separation: 8

Refresh rate: 5

Heading difference: 20

No move zone: 6

Reduced separation zone start: 35

Thanks for this. I downloaded the file that had these settings here in the library and for the life of me I don't know what I did with it and what the file name was.

There is another App that will also speed up taxi speed as well. Off the top of my head I don't remember the name without looking on my desktop. I'm on the laptop atm. If I get on there I'll share the program name. I think it was like TP something or other. Come to think of it, that may have been for increasing the time an aircraft disappears from the taxiway.

Just one of MANY that have been created for FS2004.

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. FS2004 Taxi Speed Increase Utility

[ Download | View ]

Name: taxispd.zip

Size: 8,231 Date: 08-06-2003 Downloads: 16,938

FS2004 Taxi Speed Increase Utility for AI aircraft. This tool will allow you to increase the default taxi speed of all AI aircraft to a more realistic value. By John A. Stottlemire.

FlusiFix & FS9 Configurator are others.... et al.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just one of MANY that have been created for FS2004.

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. FS2004 Taxi Speed Increase Utility

[ Download | View ]

Name: taxispd.zip

Size: 8,231 Date: 08-06-2003 Downloads: 16,938

FS2004 Taxi Speed Increase Utility for AI aircraft. This tool will allow you to increase the default taxi speed of all AI aircraft to a more realistic value. By John A. Stottlemire.

FlusiFix & FS9 Configurator are others.... et al.

Is one better than the other for AI taxi speed? I have always used FS Config to play around and increase - specifically the runway speed after landing more to get the things clear of the runway quicker but I found that one never really worked independently and all AI taxi speed would change not just the vacating traffic when doing in FS Config?

Nick B

Long Time FS9 and AI traffic junkie ✈️

Archived