Thermal for sail plane in FSX!

alfhak

I have noticed that the schematic for thermal is not visual

at every airport in FSX!

Does not matter if I have same weather and season and time

then I check different airports!

In Innsbruck in Austria you can see the schematic visual with

the green ribbon band placed in the sky there the thermal are!

Same in Mannheim in Germany and Älvsbyn, Ekeby and other places

in Sweden!

St Andrews, north from Winnipeg in Canada has no schematic visual

and other airports I tried in Texas and Nevada in the US don't have it either!

Anyone have an idea why it is like this!

Does it has something with the ground texture or landclass that control it?

Alf K

As mallcott has stated, thermals may not be present. AFAIK thermals in FSX was only replicated in the more 'popular' areas where real glider soaring takes place.

Search the library using the advance search option, selected to search all FSX files and using the phrase thermal - there are a number of files that add thermals to FSX, including a number of US states

Regards

Brian

Thanks,

I went to Lake Elsinore Ca. where soaring is very popular. I had a great soaring flight there! However, even after plugging in great thermal weather, which provided great lift, I never could find any indication of thermal charting in the program. Now I know why.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for all replies!

I think the issue could be two reason!

First, it might only show up in areas there

RL gliders are used to be present!

Cause Älvsbyn and Ekeby in Sweden are popular

places for gliders!

Second it could be what kind of landclass is in

the area.

If I set default fair weather I have thermal in some places

and some places I have not! The fair weather does not

control if there are thermal or not.

I know how it feels to fly in thermal in RL with gliders

and it can be like a kick in the A***! The lift can be

very strong. You can see then the clouds are forming

up in the sky! You know there the thermal

are! In FSX it is not realistic created but it is fun anyway!

Alf K

Alfhak, I've just been flying around in FSX default summer weather and made these three screenshots with thermal visualisation set to 'Schematic' and there were plenty of thermals visible all around the plane, so I don't know why you can't see them, let's blame it on aliens as usual-

1- St.Andrews, north of Winnipeg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-therms_StAndrews-Winnipeg_zpsubhm6cot.jpg~original

2- Las Vegas Nevada

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-therms-Vegas_zpssqpz9tyh.jpg~original

3- San Antonio Texas

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-therms-San-Antonio_zpstpkgtofm.jpg~original

Thanks again!

Very strange, you have it and I don't!

Maybe Aliens then! LOL

Maybe my friend in Winiiopeg have them as well!

I will try other things and see if I can force them

to be visual at St. Andrews!!

Alf k

Hi,

Some info regarding thermals in FSX:

Generally considered to be the tool for creating Missions is the Object Placement Tool (OPT). But as the name suggests the tool can be used for placing permanent objects in FSX. Thermals are objects. Referring to the Mission Creation section of the SDK two types of thermal objects can be found; Ridge Lift and Thermal Mission Objects.

I have used the OPT to place objects in FSX and make them permanent but I've never worked with thermals. If anyone would like to add a thermal to a specific area in FSX I would recommend examining the FSX mission that includes various types of thermals and seeing what was done there. Perhaps, the thermal objects could be copied and placed elsewhere. Once an object has been created it's usually very simple to change the size, location and orientation.

Jim F.

I learned gliders first, and when I went powered my IP would get mad at me all the time. When I'd feel one wing go up, I would roll into that side, and start to soar the thermal. I had a heck of a time breaking that habit...

I've soared a few places in FSX, and they seem to work very nicely. They may not LOOK super real, but I think my settings may have something to do with that. The thermals sure seem to act pretty normal, though. To me...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I just ran some more thermal tests and conclude that-

A:They DO show up in midwinter.

B: They DO show up over the sea, but only out to a few miles offshore.

For example here's an interesting default FSX shot in midday/midsummer a few miles east of Wiley Post/Will Rogers airport (PABR), in extreme northern Alaska inside the Arctic circle which confirms thermals show up in the Arctic and also show up for a small distance offshore-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-therms-Post-Rogers-PABR-Alaska_zps4tbwdm3p.jpg~original

Thermals are the result of a huge number of complex variables, but relative temperature between air and surface, not absolute but relative differntials play a large part, as does latitude.

Thus, thermals can occur in Siberia, or Yuma, or Christmas Island. Dark, IR absorptive surface + cooler air=thermal. Higher the wind velocity, tighter the rotation. Up to a point, then it just blows them apart. Kinda like the dust devils that happen so many places.

Ridge lift is another posibility for soaring. When the prevailing wind blows against a relatively vertical land feature (cliff) the air has to go SOMEplace, so up it goes, curving over at the top, and going down the other side. It's very ppleasant to soar along the windward side of a cliff/mountain, because as long as the wind is there, the lift is. Just be VERY careful not to get caught in the downdraft on the other side. That is a scary feeling, believe you me!

Hawks in particular seem to like ridge-lift, as they can soar it right up to their nesting area, and it makes their first take-off of the day a lot easier. Some even like to soar alongside gliders, or "play" with them, either chasing or enticing you to chase them. Lotsa fun for the human, I can say that from experience :)

Have fun soaring! I always did :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Thanks!

I also know how the thermal works from RL flying with gliders

but the issue is in the FSX!

I tried diferent settings at St Andrews north from Winnipeg

but seems I got Aliens there cause the visual green ribbon

band never get visual for me, but for others they do!

Ridge lift in FSX does not work! it does in one mission that

Microsoft made! There is a tool that is mention in this thread

that make ridge lift and and more realistic thermals!

Here is an image from Kiruna in Sweden 170km north

from Polar Circle! The thermal are visual even at 7PM

but, there are midnight sun during summer!

Alf K

Kiruna.jpg

Morning Folks!

I just flew another wonderful glider flight soaring over Lake Elsinore. I selected August, at 13:00, & user picked weather where they show a glider. OAT was about 30C and the thermals felt about as good as I could have expected. I really enjoyed the updrafts off the lake! Just as from my glider observations,it should be!

What I didn't notice was any visual indication as you all seem to be showing. Having never noticed them RW, it's not a big deal to me. But I am curious why I'm soaring beautifully in perfect soaring weather and I don't see the little coils on my displays.

Thanks for getting me curious enough to try the soaring thing! I can remember when RW flying from place to place, such as from North Island to March AFB, we had to be pretty careful to not get too close to the lake on a weekend afternoon. Gliders were everywhere!;)

we had to be pretty careful to not get too close to the lake on a weekend afternoon. Gliders were everywhere!

And gliders have right-of-way :D Be careful, you'll be duckin and dodgin all over the sky hehehe...

But I am curious why I'm soaring beautifully in perfect soaring weather and I don't see the little coils on my displays.

Sorry, no little coils in the real world, Rupert :D

To see them in FS you have to turn them on, I think in the Settings>Display>Weather page, but I may be mistaken on that...

I also know how the thermal works from RL flying with gliders

but the issue is in the FSX!

I apologize! I meant no insult at all. I have a bad habit of over-explaining things.

There is a tool that is mention in this thread

that make ridge lift and and more realistic thermals!

It works very well too. There are a number of add-ons for soaring both thermals and ridge-lift. I even found a site dedicated to soaring in MSFS. They make add-on sceneries that provide thermals, ridge, glider racing, the whole deal. I'll see if I can dig them up again.

Now they need to make some AI hawks to come out and soar the lift with the gliders, maybe play chase-me with them :D

I used to do that along the ridge to the north-east of Calistoga. They cheat though. When they get tired of the game, they just land on the cliff. If you're not paying attention, it can lead to an interesting few seconds!

By the bye, there is a really nice gliderport in Fremont Calif, south end of the San Francisco Bay. And one someplace along I-8 in the mountains east of San Diego. Near Potrero, IIRC. I only went there once, and never had a chance to fly. Too many kids in the car NOT wanting to sit around waiting for daddy to get done. Amazing how insistent they can be...

Have fun all! Soaring is SO much fun...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep,

There it is! You just have to go to Settings Weather and Thermal visualization, and in the drop down select Schematic.

thermal jp.jpg

Looks kinda weird though. Now that I know how to do it, I'm happy to turn it off.;)

And no Pat, I saw a bunch of things while flying but not this corkscrew. May if I'd spent more time in Yuma on the flight line and less time in the Ready Room. :p

You come to the airfield in the morning and there are no clouds in the sky

just blue lovely sky! You sit in the sun chair with a nice cup of coffee talking

to your friends! After some hours you notice suddenly clouds begin to form

up in the sky by themselves they begin to increase in size and more of them

are visual! Now you know you have thermal and time to get up in the sky

with the Discus ,Nimbus or whatsoever and soaring around like a bird!

Always nice to get other people try Gliders in the simulator as well!

Happy Landings!

Alf

A

Now they need to make some AI hawks to come out and soar the lift with the gliders, maybe play chase-me with them :D

I used to do that along the ridge to the north-east of Calistoga. They cheat though. When they get tired of the game, they just land on the cliff. If you're not paying attention, it can lead to an interesting few seconds!

Have fun all! Soaring is SO much fun...

Pat☺

There are eagles in FSX!!

I shot a pic of one once, but can't find it now. It may have been deleted in the spring cleaning last month.

To see eagles, set the Thermal Visualisation to: Natural instead of to schematic.

(And keep your eyes peeled, they are not very large)

Somewhere I almost always see them is in the default flight, KFHR.

There's always a nice thermal over that tiny island with grass strip just north east of KFHR.

I found a pic of one online using google. not mine.

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/fsxeagle2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, there are birds in FSX but hard to find!

If you see them increase altitude without moving their wings,

you know there is thermal! But I have not seen any birds moving

the wings in FSX! Maybe they do and my eyesight is bad!

Some addon scenery do have lots of birds in some areas!

My question was and still is , why don't I see the visualization

of thermals at St. Andrews North from Winnipeg, then other

do! Maybe Alien stop it!

Anyway, thanks for all replies and it was lots of interesting

thoughts about flying gliders!

Happy Landings!

Alf K

My question was and still is , why don't I see the visualization

of thermals at St. Andrews North from Winnipeg, then other

do! Maybe Alien stop it!

When I begin flights, schematic coiled thermals take about 10 seconds to appear, so try waiting a minute or two for your computer to display them, as some computers and graphics cards are slower or quicker than others.

PS- About birds, I did a thread about birds in FSX thermals a while back, here's a shot from it over Honolulu-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-therm2.gif

Like il88pp said you have to set Thermal visualisation to 'Natural' to see birds in some (not all) thermals, but you won't see the coils.

(The other two settings are 'Schematic' which shows the coils but no birds, and 'None' which doesn't show coils or birds)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-setts4.gif

The full 'Birds in Thermals' thread-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248991-Birds-in-FSX

I just went to your "Birds in Thermal's" thread That's very interesting. I've seen them flying round often, but never really thought about it.

Yes it's amazing what people will add to their sim scenes! I enjoy seeing the Orcas breach near the beach in some of the ORBX scenery renditions up near Seattle and Vancouver too!:cool::cool:

It's still a pity the aren't interactive :D

I had more darn fun chasing those hawks around the cliffs...

Learned, by trial and (mostly) error how to follow, sort of, the aerobatics they are capable of, although they are MUCH better at it. I guess a few million years of evolution beats a few weeks if experimentation and practice :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again for trying to help me with the Visualisation at St. Andrew!

I have no problems at all at Innsbruck there I have Aerosoft Approaching Innsbruck Scenery! Very detailed and also the Schematic Visualisation load up very quick on my system! I have a fast pc Intel Core with 4 cores and Nvidia GTX 680 Video card!

It must be a "Ghost" sitting at St.Andrews with default scenery and no addon at all

and block them to be visual!

Cause if I have same weather settings, same season and time! The Schematic Visualisation should be visual there! I have them near Bremerton National in WA!

Germany and other places!

Now I don't bother any more about it and will install CumulsX and see how that

work!

Thanks again!

Happy Landings!

Alf

It must be a "Ghost" sitting at St.Andrews with default scenery and no addon at all

and block them to be visual!

Alf

Hey Alf,

St. Andrews Scotland? If so look below.

St. Andrews.jpg

That's St. Andrews gold course on the left.

egql.jpg

That's EGQL, (RAF Leuchars) just south of St. Andrews.

Archived