Files of all kinds disappearing from the sim!

TheRedBadger

I recently returned home from my trip when I notice that a lot of files have disappeared from the main FS9 folder; many aircraft folders only include an aircraft.cfg without the model or texture folders, and vice versa.

Prior to my departure, many textures begun to disappear from aircraft and the scenery if there long enough. Eventually the sim would be unusable until I restarted.

I eventually received a message (this was prior to any of this I think) that FS9 had run out of available memory, so I thought that simply removing a lot of commonly unsued addons would do the trick, but I wouldn't find out for sure if it would work until I got back.

Not only that, but files aren't just disappearing from the main folder, but from my backup folder as well!!

Carlos Si

Anyone else have access to your system, kids, grandkids, angry spouse??

Negative. I have my own account inaccessible to others. I'm the only one who has access to the sim. I have heard of this "phenomenon" before regarding files being eaten away, although I'm not sure if.. re-installing will do the trick or if the same problems will arise.

What would be great is to keep the sim's hands off from my backup folder. A number of AI aircraft and usable aircraft have lost their cfgs, and often times these bases are hard to find due to outdated links on avsim.

Carlos Si

Never heard of the sim removing files, neither have I heard of a system removing files because of a lack of space. You usually get a message about that inviting you to make space.

I did try making space by deleting a lot of things I rarely use (sceneries of areas I never fly over, or aircraft I've only used once or twice). I could try to re-install the addons that were affected and see if it works again without the textures disappearing during flight, but I don't want the sim to erase any more files; they aren't being sent to the recycling bin.

Carlos Si

Surely you are looking in the wrong direction? The sim is not erasing files; if it is then that would be the first I ever heard of it, and I have used FS9 for years on five different and widely varying computers with four different operating systems. Virus scan? Malware scan?

The aircraft.cfgs aren't in the recycle bin, so I'm not sure where else they were transported to.

It's possibly an antivirus program could have deleted them as they "overreacted" and saw them as a threat, but wouldn't it at least throw them in the recycle bin then?

However, I personally haven't run any scans (though perhaps other relatives did while away). Wouldn't such a scan remove files from only their account?

Carlos Si

If AV removed them the files will have been placed in Quarantine, which is part of the AV program.

But it could also be a virus is removing the files. In that case likely more folders are affected. (you mentioned textures (objects?) so that would already qualify as more folders.). Make sure you don't lose personal family photo's and such as well.

Fs is not the one doing this.

It could also be a failing hard disk.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If AV removed them the files will have been placed in Quarantine. Part of the AV program.

+1!!! I'd be backing everything up to another hard drive, thumb drive, whatever ASAP! Of course, if we followed everyone's advice that would have happened automatically. But in my experience, the auto backup systems aren't truly dependable. I'd do as much as I can manually right now as well.

And before you start, prioritize what you try to save! Family pictures, bank statements, Word documents, etc. are much more important to me than any game.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If AV removed them the files will have been placed in Quarantine, which is part of the AV program.

But it could also be a virus is removing the files. In that case likely more folders are affected. (you mentioned textures (objects?) so that would already qualify as more folders.). Make sure you don't lose personal family photo's and such as well.

+1!!! I'd be backing everything up to another hard drive, thumb drive, whatever ASAP! Of course, if we followed everyone's advice that would have happened automatically. But in my experience, the auto backup systems aren't truly dependable. I'd do as much as I can manually right now as well.

And before you start, prioritize what you try to save! Family pictures, bank statements, Word documents, etc. are much more important to me than any game.

Ehh thankfully I only use this computer for simming. I'll have to get an external hard drive

As for an AV.... I don't know if I ciurrenty have one, and can't check now.

What else could be the cause?

Nvm you said it could be a virus. Even if I run an antivirus, it may not necessarily find it from past experience. I'll try tho.

Carlos Si

Gremlins - A gremlin is a creature commonly depicted as mischievous and mechanically oriented, with a specific interest in aircraft. Gremlins' mischievous natures are similar to those of English folkloric imps, while their inclination to damage or dismantle machinery is more modern.

Definitely get an exterminator to check for them. Your scenario sounds like a classic case.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

Are you sure the files are no more on your HD?

Can you see a difference in the size of the HD occupied space each time files dissapears from FS2004 ?

If yes .. you need to call an exorcist !!! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/1/slookani.gif

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

As for an AV.... I don't know if I ciurrenty have one, and can't check now.

Nvm you said it could be a virus. Even if I run an antivirus, it may not necessarily find it from past experience. I'll try tho.

If you don't even know if you have an AV program, I wonder if it is even up to date unless it is updating automatically and does regular scans. Then, how good is it in the first place?

Your symptoms may possibly suggest you have gotten some ransomware on your system although you have not had a screen that has asked for money to unlock your files have you?

Gremlins - A gremlin is a creature commonly depicted as mischievous and mechanically oriented, with a specific interest in aircraft. Gremlins' mischievous natures are similar to those of English folkloric imps, while their inclination to damage or dismantle machinery is more modern.

Definitely get an exterminator to check for them. Your scenario sounds like a classic case.

Lel.

Well there aren't any detected viruses.

Hello,

Are you sure the files are no more on your HD?

Can you see a difference in the size of the HD occupied space each time files dissapears from FS2004 ?

If yes .. you need to call an exorcist !!! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/1/slookani.gif

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

I haven't really noticed that, but only time will let me find out.

If you don't even know if you have an AV program, I wonder if it is even up to date unless it is updating automatically and does regular scans. Then, how good is it in the first place?

Your symptoms may possibly suggest you have gotten some ransomware on your system although you have not had a screen that has asked for money to unlock your files have you?

No threats detected :l.

Who ya gonna call? ........ GhostBusters!

Hah.

I do think this issue is because of memory, considering I've already had the similator tell me twice about memory.

Carlos Si

You are wrong. Out of memory (OOM) is a crash of fs9 because of too little memory to load everything. To fix that set settings lower in sim.

Oom has nothing to do with files disappearing. That's a virus or Hdd failure most likely. Do a scan.

What OS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone else have access to your system, kids, grandkids, angry spouse??

It still may be a case of looking at the possibility that someone else has deleted the files simply because of your replies in the some posts............................

Negative. I have my own account inaccessible to others. I'm the only one who has access to the sim..............

AND

.....................However, I personally haven't run any scans (though perhaps other relatives did while away). Wouldn't such a scan remove files from only their account?

These statements imply that you do not fully understand how software can be installed. When installing software it is now common to see a message, generated not by the software being installed but by the OS, asking if it is to be available to all users on the computer or to just the current user (ie the currently logged in account which is running the install programme). The default setting selected by the installer for the vast majority of software is the all selection as the OS naturally assumes it will be used by all accounts.

It should also be noted that, even if a program is installed for the sole use of a user, it is very likely that others can access the files on the HDD. In most cases, simply using the option to install for the current user only means that only the current user will get a desktop icon and will have permissions to run the program.

Additionally, programmes like AV suites that are installed using the current user option cannot discriminate between the current users account/files and other users accounts/files when scanning unless a manual customised scan is run.

Regards

Brian

To add to that, despite al your passwords, I could easily boot your system with a boot stick inserted in a usb port, and delete everything on it. All I need is 2 minutes access to your pc.

Not something I would do of course, I use that 'power' for good, and used it instead to save files for friends that forgot their passwords and couldn't get back in their systems.

Saved everything on their drives to an external disk, so they had their family photo's and such back.

But it can be done. And no expensive software is required, it is a well known software, can be downloaded for free, fully legally, at many sites.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi RedBadger,

Having re-read this thread a number of times, it seems to me that there is some confusion regarding what has, or has not, happened WRT past and current actions you have taken and the current state of play WRT your rig, current FS install etc. To gain some clarity can you do the following actions and answer the following Qs:

Actions:

1. AV - Run a FULL scan of ALL drives. You may have to use the custom settings of the AV suite to do this. If, as you have stated, you believe that AV don't always catch everything you can try using either Norton Power Eraser (NPE) or a similar tool that AVG provides - both are free and are more aggressive at searching for viruses but must be used with caution as both may mis-identify items as infected. IMO NPE is the better of the 2 and allows you to undo what it does if problems are encountered after running it. It should be mote that NPE and the AVG version are not intended to replace an AV suite - they are tools that can be used to do a 'deeper' and 'more aggressive' virus sweep if it thought that your normal AV has missed something

2. Malware - As per 1. above. If you have no anti-malware software installed go to https://www.malwarebytes.org/.

3. Run the windows system checker. to do this in computer explorer view right click on the drive icon. Select Properties from the resulting menu list. In the Properties window click on the Tools tab and the click on the Check Now button located in the Error Checking field. This will run a check of the HDD for errors/bad clusters and will give an indication if the problem is related to a failing drive - basically lots of bad clusters equals failing drive.

Qs

1. Deletions - In your OP you state that you removed

a lot of commonly unsued addons
- What do you mean by 'commanly' and from where did you delete them. Also, how did you find the items - ie by using a name or file extension name or by simply looking at a folder contents and deleting what seemed appropriate

2. Backup Files - In your OP you state that it affects your backups as well. Are the backed up missing files the same one as those that have gone missing from FS. If so what type of backup strategy are you using.

Regards

Brian

I my self think he 'forgot' to mention his attempt to 'fix' things by doing a system restore. This WILL delete certain 'cfg' files. Not sure what criteria Windows uses. But this is/was what heppened - correct me if I am wrong. There is no 'fix' for OOM. All you can do is restart the sim (and maybe restart your PC if it's frozen). Re-Set - go fly. Why worry yourself to death.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I admit that I haven't read all the replies to your question, but I've had the same problem with an over-active AV installation that was removing gauges from my FS2004. I considered changing the AV's settings to "ask before deleting," but I thought that would be a nuisance in the long run. Instead, I changed the settings to remove only high-risk items.

Art

Archived