It Never Rains in Southern California

BillD22

In these shots a trio of Navy F-4J "Phantoms" head back in to Miramar Naval Air Station (nowadays Marine Corps Air Station) north of San Diego, California after some offshore ACM and air to ground training.

The typical cloudless "it never rains in southern California" day and the aircraft altitude provide us with a spectacular view of all the major San Diego area landmarks - Point Loma, North Island Naval Air Station on the north end of Coronado Island, the high rise condos and famous Hotel Del Coronado on the Silver Strand at the south end of Coronado, the Coronado Bridge, the tall buildings downtown and Lindberg Field (KSAN) across the harbor, and Mission Bay in the distance.

Those of you who've spotted the air to ground ordnance on the lead airplane will doubtless be wondering what we're doing flying that stuff over a densely populated metro area.:confused::confused:

In the r/w that would be a major violation of ordnance handling regulations and earn us a not very nice visit to the CAGs office :o- but hey - this is FSX - "Ordnance regs? We don't need no stinkin' ordnance regs!" :D:D:D

The airplanes are the IRIS FSX former payware versions of the F4

[click on the images for a full screen view]

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc5.jpg

It rains a little down in SoCal. Now YUMA on the other hand...

They get an average of 3" a year. Usually alll at the same time from a TRW during Monsoon Season. One year, there were two thunder bumpers that dropped 6" each. I rode a motorcycle out to work through both of them. 1 hour each way. Nice and warm, but that rain HURTS at 60MPH (+wind). I thought the town was going to float away. At least the Colorado actually flowed all the way to the sea for a change...

Great shots of the planes I used to work on! Or, to put it another way: Phantastic photo's of the Phamous Phantom :D :D

Thanks for a great post!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before

It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya

It pours, man, it pours

Nice shots Bill, I Like em a lot.

John & Pat -many thanks for looking and the good words

John: there may be a career in song lyrics for you :D:D:D

In these shots a trio of Navy F-4J "Phantoms" head back in to Miramar Naval Air Station (nowadays Marine Corps Air Station) north of San Diego, California after some offshore ACM and air to ground training.

The typical cloudless "it never rains in southern California" day and the aircraft altitude provide us with a spectacular view of all the major San Diego area landmarks - Point Loma, North Island Naval Air Station on the north end of Coronado Island, the high rise condos and famous Hotel Del Coronado on the Silver Strand at the south end of Coronado, the Coronado Bridge, the tall buildings downtown and Lindberg Field (KSAN) across the harbor, and Mission Bay in the distance.

Those of you who've spotted the air to ground ordnance on the lead airplane will doubtless be wondering what we're doing flying that stuff over a densely populated metro area.:confused::confused:

In the r/w that would be a major violation of ordnance handling regulations and earn us a not very nice visit to the CAGs office :o- but hey - this is FSX - "Ordnance regs? We don't need no stinkin' ordnance regs!" :D:D:D

The airplanes are the IRIS FSX former payware versions of the F4

[click on the images for a full screen view]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]185624[/ATTACH]

It's FREEWARE NOW?!

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

There's also some panel upgrades that are absolutely fantastic. f4panxdcb1_0.zip, virtf4-2pandcbv2.zip. and virtf4-2xfixdcb.zip. I got them off of Fly Away Simulations. It may be found https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads.html here. They may well be available here or at Avsim, too. I don't know.

Incredibly realistic looking (I know, I worked on the bloody things for 10 years :D ), with about 100 brand new xml gauges, all of which look great.

Just thought you might like to know. I'm like a junk yard. I find all kinds of "stuff" with an occaisional gem amidst all the dross :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

It rains a little down in SoCal. Now YUMA on the other hand...

They get an average of 3" a year. Usually alll at the same time from a TRW during Monsoon Season. One year, there were two thunder bumpers that dropped 6" each. I rode a motorcycle out to work through both of them. 1 hour each way. Nice and warm, but that rain HURTS at 60MPH (+wind). I thought the town was going to float away. At least the Colorado actually flowed all the way to the sea for a change...

Pat☺

Like the man said, IT POURS!! BTW: I've also seen the LA River out of its' concrete banks, once.

Yes, rain stings on a bike! So do hornets, wasps, sleet, etc. I was always way too "manly" to use a windshield. Got a wasp in my ear under my helmet once doing about 80 on the Sad Diego Freeway. He must have stung me a dozen times in the ear before I could get stopped and get that helmet off!!

(For those of you who now ply the San Diego Freeway or other local freeway and wonder at my traveling at 80moh statement. In the 1960's that was about the speed traffic usually traveled on most of the So.Cal. freeways, even in the fog. Except on weekends when everyone was going to or from the beach of course. That's why 100 car & truck pileups were fairly common.)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great pics, nice birds Bill :cool:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

Nice (phabulous :pilot:)Phantoms-just lacking the smoke (I have to complain).

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

Yes, rain stings on a bike! So do hornets, wasps, sleet, etc. I was always way too "manly" to use a windshield. Got a wasp in my ear under my helmet once doing about 80 on the Sad Diego Freeway. He must have stung me a dozen times in the ear before I could get stopped and get that helmet off!!

Got stung by a bee once. No idea how she managed it. She hit my forks, then the tank then ME. At 80MPH or so. Being allergic, I passed out. Thankfully, I had stopped at my Dr.'s office to pay a bill when I did. Good place to pass out!

(For those of you who now ply the San Diego Freeway or other local freeway and wonder at my traveling at 80moh statement. In the 1960's that was about the speed traffic usually traveled on most of the So.Cal. freeways, even in the fog. Except on weekends when everyone was going to or from the beach of course. That's why 100 car & truck pileups were fairly common.)

It was still like that in the '70s. If you didn't go 80 on the freeway, you got run over. From behind. Not nice. Nice thing about a bike, though, was going through a traffic jam. Yeah, I know, but why sit and wait? And a bike could get gas any day of the week None of that odd/even stuff. Really nice.

I rode with a friend, William Baily (yeah, we called him Bill!). Dark-Green Marine. Great guy, really was. Almost got his willy bitten off going over the railroad tracks on Navy Road in Millington. ANYWAY...

He had arms like my thighs, and could put on a Jamaican accent. When we'd stop for gas, they would come out, and of course the price on the pump was 1/2 of the actual price. But Bill would go on and on..."What you mean twice as much?? You tryin to rip me off mon! I keek you in da butt, you tief.." on and on till they'ed throw up their hands and give up. !/2 price gas was nice for a young Marine :D :D

Fun times...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got stung by a bee once. No idea how she managed it. She hit my forks, then the tank then ME. At 80MPH or so. Being allergic, I passed out. Thankfully, I had stopped at my Dr.'s office to pay a bill when I did. Good place to pass out!

It was still like that in the '70s. If you didn't go 80 on the freeway, you got run over. From behind. Not nice. Nice thing about a bike, though, was going through a traffic jam. Yeah, I know, but why sit and wait? And a bike could get gas any day of the week None of that odd/even stuff. Really nice.

I rode with a friend, William Baily (yeah, we called him Bill!). Dark-Green Marine. Great guy, really was. Almost got his willy bitten off going over the railroad tracks on Navy Road in Millington. ANYWAY...

He had arms like my thighs, and could put on a Jamaican accent. When we'd stop for gas, they would come out, and of course the price on the pump was 1/2 of the actual price. But Bill would go on and on..."What you mean twice as much?? You tryin to rip me off mon! I keek you in da butt, you tief.." on and on till they'ed throw up their hands and give up. !/2 price gas was nice for a young Marine :D :D

Fun times...

Pat☺

I know about the pass on the stripes thing. On pretty weekends I'd head for the beach on my bike & let everyone else come by car. By the time they got there I'd have a nice spot picked out and claimed. Return trip, I'd fire up the charcoal and it'd be ready to cook by when they got back.

BTW: Other than lack of sleep from drunk and/or high honeys banging on my door wanting to spend the night and taking their room and board out in trade. The other reason I gave up my apartment on Malibu Beach is unless I was on my bike, I couldn't get to or from the apartment in less than an hour's time on weekends or when school or college were on break.

I had a '53 MG TD for awhile as my only car. I sold it because it had a terrible time doing 75 on the freeway and had only one tail/stop light on the back. It wasn't at all fun to have someone swing around a truck at night and come flying at me with my single tail light that wasn't any brighter than a flashlight while driving a car with that won't crack 75!!! If I hadn't sold it and bought something more substantial, I doubt I'd have made it through a year!!

Since my bike/s was/were Triumph TT Special/s that had no battery, I had to be careful with my gear shifts. The bike was plenty fast enough to outrun anything I encountered, but it was tough riding blind at night! Having no battery the headlight and tail/brake light ran off the magneto. So if I blew a 1st to 2nd shift, which was fairly easy to do when running hard, the magneto would put out so much juice it'd blow one or the other of my light bulbs. The other funky thing about a magneto light system was at a stop light, you had to rev the engine to make your lights bright enough for people in cars to see them. At idle they'd make the TD's lights look bright.

But I will say it was always fun when cops took out after you just blow the bulbs then head out on the fire trails and know they'll never find you. Of course this was before the Police had Choppers In The Air or infrared sensors. So. Cal. must be a terrible place to play in today!!:p

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Sweet pics. of the old "Iron Sleds" Bill. :cool: :cool: :pilot: I had lots of them and the carriers to go with them back in FS2000, but lost it all when I upgraded to a new PC and operating system. :(

Thanks Larry - well there's always "ai carriers" and these downloads to get back in the groove :D I'm about due for an upgrade myself come to think of it. Of course will have to get a budget signoff from the wife - an approval tougher to get than passing the annual multi gazillion dollar DOD budget :D:D But then again there's always the flight sim "black budget" :D:D:

Nowadays, make sure you use AICarriers.NET, not .EXE. It's a lot less resource intensive, and works perfectly in FSX. I use it all the time. I even have EXE.XML load it for me. Then I choose my ocean, fly there, plop a carrier down heading into the wind, and awaaaaay we go!

Anyway, just wanted to mention it. And, if you're going to do it, do it right, and run vLSO too :D Those guys have NO sense of humor, and they can be tough...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice indeed :)

One thing though, I rarely see this fuel tank under a Phantom-interesting situation.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/AIM-4_and_AIM-7_on_F-4E.jpg/1280px-AIM-4_and_AIM-7_on_F-4E.jpg?1451131009172

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

seems ive often heard that kind of talk before....I was in flight school in Greeley co when that was released, heard it all the time on the am radio in my 66 impala 327 fastback. makes me think of big macs too, I was getting one of those just about every day back then...love your formation shots bill, those are great!

Phil Colvin

One thing though, I rarely see this fuel tank under a Phantom-interesting situation.

Heck, those two J-79's turned fuel into smoke so fast, they needed that external tank just to get off the ground on a hot day (which was pretty much every freaken day in Yuma!). Ok, maybe not that bad, but close! I know they had to use a light fuel load flying out of DaNang on a hot day, to be able to get off the runway with ordnance hung, then join up and refuel once they got aloft and formed up so they could fly the missions. And then again on the way back.

Those things were thirsty birds, no doubt.

Still one heck of a fighter, bomber, Wild Weasel, you name it. Especially if the pilot could put aside all the chest puffing and ego stroking long enough to listen to their RIO, Wizzo, whatever their service called them. The GIB really improved the plane's abilities, if they were permitted to to do so. It seemed to me, from the pilots and RIO's I talked to in Yuma, to be a more prevalent problem in the Air Force than the Navy/MC. A lot of the Wizzo's I met in the PI and Korea were pretty much told to "sit down, strap in, and shut up, and we'll get along fine" by their pilot. Although I admit, the Bears the Weasels had were awfully busy on a mission...

Sorry, I ramble again...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived