spotview strangely elongated

Hello

I have just completed my first airliner flight in FSX.

This went fine no ctd etc .

It was rather strange, like going back ten years ie no FsNav ,so had to use ATC for the first time in years, none of those lovely third party gauges that make flight so much easier in 9.

BUT!it was rather enjoyable all controls manually operated ,still remember how to do it, and default ATC which I never use in 9.

Anyways my real query .Is there any utility for X similar to F1 view for 9?, I ask because in X in spot mode the aircraft either fills the whole screen which I don't usually want, but if I zoom out in spot mode the aircraft looks long thin and somewhat distorted.

In Fs9 the utility F1 view allows zooming with the mouse wheel so a more compact and IMO more realistic looking aircraft is displayed.

Cheers Andy

For the record my favourite FSX external zoom level is 0.60 because it's the most realistic (proven by the sun and moon looking just about the right size).

And like Horatio said, move the chase distance in and out with Ctrl = and -.

Remember zoom and chase are entirely different things.

In fact a better name for Chase would be "Camera" where you walk the camera nearer to or further from the aircraft to get it framed nicely on your screen depending on the size of the plane.

OK guys I have just tried Ctrl= and that seems to do the business.

I have noticed though that when I started FSX up to try out this keyboard command (I used the same aircraft as before ,the default 737 which had appeared so long and thing ) that it was more in proportion .Previously I must have done something(hit the wrong key or something to deform the 737)

Anyway I have seen the same thing in 9 but it was always easily fixable.

I am only a week into trying X so there is an awful lot to learn.

PS

One thing I have noticed about X on my PC is the tendancy for aircraft textures to lag slightly as I switch to spot view, (particularly on the default Airbus and 737s)but on the other hand the flight itself is almost completely stutter free ,very smooth.

I am only using the default AI so perhaps that's why.

Anyways thoughts

Cheers Andy

Ha. You fire up the sim, start punching keys all over the place and nothing works. DAH. You are essentially putting cart before the horse. And FS9 and FSX are different.

Get the one page printable guide: 'fsxcmnds.zip',1.98 Mb, by Tyler Miller (10-27-2006 and here in library), print it out (8x11 sheet), then don't just put it away-keep it handy and use it! Try this, then that, and learn the FUN way.

For Locked Spot view (never use zoom keys) 1st press 'Backspace' (sets zoom to 1x), then use Ctrl+'-' or '+' keys to move CAMERA (must hold down both keys). Then practice going to other views: 'A' goes to 'Fly By', etc (use your guide). There is no need to suffer with commands. Cheers.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived