FSX and XP11 from an old man prespective

hwy305

Ladies and Gentlemen, please indulge me with a question. I have been a consistent Flight Sim user since the early days back in the early 90's. Now I am old and on the proverbial Social Security retirement. My question is, before I go shelling out $60.00, is simply this, IS X-plane 11 really a good investment or do I stay with my buggy FSX-SE? I have a ton of third party add-ons and enjoy my daily flights, as well as our FSX community, but FSX is a rather pain in the "buttocks" some times. Also concerned that Microsoft has pretty much told us to go away with their reluctance to update FSX. Thank you for any comments you have as I'm sure most of you are more informed than I.

Fred Smith

USN (RET)

Ladies and Gentlemen, please indulge me with a question. I have been a consistent Flight Sim user since the early days back in the early 90's. Now I am old and on the proverbial Social Security retirement. My question is, before I go shelling out $60.00, is simply this, IS X-plane 11 really a good investment or do I stay with my buggy FSX-SE? I have a ton of third party add-ons and enjoy my daily flights, as well as our FSX community, but FSX is a rather pain in the "buttocks" some times. Also concerned that Microsoft has pretty much told us to go away with their reluctance to update FSX. Thank you for any comments you have as I'm sure most of you are more informed than I.

Mr Smith, thank you so much for your service!

This old Marine chopper pilot hasn't been able to fly RW since I suffered a broken neck and other injuries while flying in Vietnam for the Corps. However, I have found it truly enjoyable to fly FSX.

I have read some good, even great things, concerning X-Plane 11. However, considering its' early stages I'm not yet willing to make a move. Like you I have hundreds, probably thousands, invested in FSX addons and computers to make them all work as they should.

In my case, using FSX has been a great outlet which certainly is good for my mental well being! Should an even better program come along, I'm not scared to spend the bucks to apply it.

Having said all of that, I am using a wait and see or "trust but verify" approach before I commit a lot of money to the latest "Big Thing!"

I had hoped that P3D would be the "end all be all." After rushing out and buying it, IMHO, it isn't even a good knockoff of FSX and I haven't even fired it up for many months.

I will continue to deal with FSX issues and enjoy flying with it for some time! If, and only if, an alternative is shown to be an improvement then I'll consider moving on. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I also agree with Rupert, I think its best to wait and see what x-11 has as far as inmprovements. I have both the boxed FSX Delx and FSX-SE. I spend 90+% flying the box as I cant get traffic360 to work in fsx-se. I do love the flying and this site along with the hobby.

Happy:pilot:Flyin

I'm and old fart too and, like you, have used MS Flight Sims forever. I bought the X-11 beta a couple of weeks ago. Used it for about 20 minutes and haven't touched it since. Really smooth performance - no stutters, etc., but the graphics are so bad I could hardly stand it. Almost looks like a cartoon. I'm WAY too old to start over again trying to put lipstick on another pig..........Just one guy's opinion - all mileage is, of course, variable..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I just turned 76 and also been in this hobby since the 90s and I agree with Rupert also with one exception., I have P3D v3.4 and the textures are incredible..but I love FSX Gold and like others in this forum ...suggest doing the tweaking to the cfg and I have found that Robert Thibideau's tweak guide works well on my system...but others are also great...

I don't even want to learn the new key system of X Plane. as someone on here once said....A simulator is a simulator and FSX ...and P3D are all I need.

before I go shelling out $60.00, is simply this, IS X-plane 11 really a good investment or do I stay with my buggy FSX-SE?

To state the obvious, get the X-Plane 11 demo and try it out. It is the actual product but it limited to a single area and times out after 30 minutes.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I am also uncomfortably approaching 75 years old. I have used FS2002 through FSX. Last month the FSX version encountered an error, not being able to find the default flight. A big effort to remedy this problem was unsuccessful. To reinstall FSX is a huge job for me. So I deleted it.

I was delighted to buy X-Plane and Prepar3D. Both of these are delightful and reliable. Good bye FSX.

So, mr. Zippy, you read my mail? Can you read my Internet History also? And for whoever's sake, don't publish it.....

Jorgen

Could have let you wait and see if Alverthein would have seen your request and then fumbled through his stuff to find your link.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you for your service Mr. Rupert and your comments are appreciated. I to, do not care for P3D and after the demo of x-plane 11 think I will hang with FSX a while longer.

Good luck and Semper Fi!

Fred Smith

USN (RET)

Archived