default DC-3 CR props

Allen Craig

By cracky, you're on to something! I did test and from a chase view when starting the engines, the port engine spins left and the starboard engine spins right. Will have to test MJ's C-47 to see if he fixed that or not!

This is an interesting read! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/archive/index.php/t-13387.html

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Pardon me!

I admit I have only a very few RW hours in that plane. And even then I wasn't even the PIC or 2nd pilot. I was just a trainee who was lucky to fly a few hours per long flight with the yoke in my hands!

However, unless my very basic instructions were wrong, I understood that counter rotating props of one engine to another would cancel out out engine torque and allow the plane to fly more level!;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Actually, torque (and P-effect, etc.) aren't much of a problem in twins during normal operation, but counter rotating props do eliminate a "critical engine" (or create two of them, depending on direction of rotation) in an engine-out situation. With U.S.-built engines, which rotate clockwise from the pilot's point of view, the left engine is the "critical engine," meaning that if you lose that engine you have more yawing effect to fight than if you lose the other one, and it's the one that Vmc is based on. This is due to that same torque/p-effect/etc. that causes the left-turning tendency in singles.

But regardless, the DC-3 (and C-47) did not have counter-rotating props.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Gang

Just Read The Counter Rotate Props Item. I Have Just Checked My Default DC3s. Correct

Port Prop Anti Clock, Stbd Prop Clock Wise. But The Default A/C Plus Addon Textures, The

Props Rotate Correctly. Also The Props On The Latest V3_14 DC3.C47s, Start In Feather. I

Do.not Remember Any DC3.C47s Doing This.

Regards ERIK

But regardless, the DC-3 (and C-47) did not have counter-rotating props.

Larry,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!!

My fixed wing flying was almost exclusively with a single engine. So I felt that, like a power boat with twins, counter-rotation on multi-engine fixed wings would be a huge advantage.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

...counter-rotation on multi-engine fixed wings would be a huge advantage.

Yup, but only if it turns the right way.

BTW, the book on P-38s (which have counter rotating props) by Martin Caidin, Fork-Tailed Devil: The P38, discusses this very thing, and points out that the counter rotation can cause control problems, too. Apparently the original prototype had them rotating such that there was no critical engine (thus the right engine was rotating backwards), but the control problems (I don't recall the details) caused them to change it to counter-rotate the opposite direction, causing two critical engines.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived