Finding an airport

peterbroom

I have three airfields [ Manston, Mildenhall and Lakenheath ] showing in my FSX UK photographic scenery which I want to delete. At some point I must have installed them from downloads. Their layouts are quite basic. They appear in the airport list so I can select them and place the aircraft there. However they do not appear in the scenery library list nor can I find them by extensively searching all files and folders on the computer. I've searched their names and ICAO identities [ EGUM/EGMH, EGUN and EGUL ]. They must be in some folder but where ?

Can anyone suggest how to find them ?

I have three airfields [ Manston, Mildenhall and Lakenheath ] showing in my FSX UK photographic scenery which I want to delete. At some point I must have installed them from downloads. Their layouts are quite basic. They appear in the airport list so I can select them and place the aircraft there. However they do not appear in the scenery library list nor can I find them by extensively searching all files and folders on the computer. I've searched their names and ICAO identities [ EGUM/EGMH, EGUN and EGUL ]. They must be in some folder but where ?

Search your scenery folder for the ICAO. If there's a separate .bgl for it, move it from the scenery folder. Do NOT delete it. Open sim and see if the scenery is gone. Repeat for each.

If not, report back.

Thank you

I don't see how they can be default airports as the photo. scenery overrides them. They have extensive layouts but with what looks like default buildings.

I've searched the addon scenery folder and the addon scenery/scenery folder for the names and the codes - nothing appears. I've also searched the scenery/global and scenery/euw folders. I've done a general computer search. I did find three EGUN folders - ADEX_RMC XML and BGL and ADEX_RMC_CVX. I deleted those but Mildenhall AB [ which is EGUN ] is still in FSX. I found nothing for the other two. So all three continue to taunt me !

Well, photoscenery doesn't add airports automatically.

So I'm thinking it's probably the default airports, sitting in different looking surroundings, which makes them looks different.

(I never used this particular scenery myself though.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rather than going to all the trouble of trying to delete them and possibly causing unexpected issues, why don't you just not fly there? :cool:

I don't generally don't go to places I don't like whether they be RW or in a sim.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Not flying there is a solution of sorts but, when flying in their area, Mildenhall and Lakenheath, in particular, stand out. If they were properly aligned with the photoscenery I wouldn't mind so much but they're not.

What I'm aiming to do is get rid of them and then [ with the Instant Scenery program ] place accurate buildings etc. in accurate positions on the photoscenery airfield.

They can't be default airfields as none of those appear when photoscenery is installed.

I've tried searching the net for the airfields in question to identify them and track them down that way but nothing I've found matches them. I must have had them from somewhere but the mystery is why I can't find them to disable or delete them.

They can't be default airfields as none of those appear when photoscenery is installed.

Photoscenery will automatically exclude autogen but not airports, unless an exclude file is included with the Photoscenery for each airport within it. These 3 airfields have been missed somehow and so the default scenery is showing through. The best solution would be to install add-on scenery for these 3 from the the library here, which will be a much better 'fit' with the Photoscenery AND exclude the default airfields at the same time. Once installed, move each airport so it's above the Photoscenery in your Addon Scenery list, i.e. if your Photoscenery is number 20, move the 3 airports to 17, 18 and 19.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi peter,

Referring to your original post: I am going on the assumption that the offending airports are not the default. In order for any scenery to be displayed it must be in an active scenery area; i.e. an area flagged as active in the Scenery library. It seems likely that the bgls containing the info for the unwanted airports are in the wrong location. Hopefully, they are not in one of the areas which were active by default. I suggest going to one of the offending areas, deactivating all added scenery and seeing if they disappear. It's not even necessary to restart to see the changes. If they're gone re-enable etc. If they're still there, the bgls are in one of the default areas and the only simple remedy, that I can think of, is to do a system restore to a time prior to the problem occurring. As a system restore leaves cfg files unchanged any problems with scenery modified after the restore would have to be addressed. An FSX repair would likely fix the problem but that's pretty drastic. I don't know of any simple way to just restore the default scenery.

Jim F.

Thank you both

Jim - I'm sure they're not default airports. I'll try what you suggest. I think you might be on the right lines but I'm wary about upsetting everything else just for the sake of these three.

Tiger - installing new addons for these three is my preferred route but, unfortunately, those I can find for Manston and Mildenhall are very little different to the offending ones - indeed they are so like them I think they might be later versions of the same scenery. I can't find an FSX Lakenheath [ I know someone was doing a very good one but he stopped for security reasons ]. It's surprising that Mildenhall and Lakenheath aren't more available for FSX being such well known USAF bases. I might be able to find versions in a range of UK airfields released years ago for FS2000 and FS2002 although not all of those seem to have been updated to FSX.

Go to the scenery library screen,

uncheck all addons,

leave the default sections checked, all except one. Scroll down to the bottom of the list, and uncheck the "Addon Scenery" entry.

The "Addon Scenery" entry refers to everything that is installed in /Addon scenery/scenery.

That way all addon scenery you ever added is unchecked.

----------

Go fly, airport still there? Then it really is the default airport.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you Gerard

Simple Airport Scanner sounded like the ideal answer. I downloaded it. It searched for the scenery cfg. file. Loaded "C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg". Clicked scan. Green scan bar flashed. Absolutely no scenery found. Also tried search for Ident - nothing found.

So, on the face of it, I appear to have no scenery !

A general computer search for FSX scenery.cfg shows it as being only in C:\FSX\Setup\XPackCache.

Thank you Topgun - I'm going to try what you suggest. With so many sceneries in my library I was putting that off for a while !

Found the answer ! It occurred to me that someone, many years ago, had said [ for some reason I can't recall ] to disable 0500, 0501 and 0601 bases in the scenery list. I've now done that and the offending airfield layouts have gone. So they must have been default airfields after all.

My thanks to all who replied.

Ok I just went into FSX maps and found Manston had runways 26-8, Mildenhall 29-11, and Lakenheath 24-6.

I then went to Google and found all three of these have exactly the same runway markings in their high altitude pictures. It looks to me as though every airport is portrayed accurately in the default FSX data base.

So, to coin a phrase, "Where's the beef?"

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks Rupert

The "beef" was that the default layout did not line up accurately with the layout as seen in the photo. scenery. The result was that, from the air, there were multiple runways, peritracks, dispersals etc. Also the default buildings were quite the wrong type. My aim is to place buildings of the correct type on their sites in the photo. scenery.

I'm puzzled why the photo. scenery, in those particular areas, did not over-ride the default scenery as it has done everywhere else - something in the design/production of the photo. scenery presumably. I wonder if there's anyway to identify which base files apply to which scenery.

as tiger explained in post 8. These three airports did not have an exclude in the photoscenery.

Normally airports show throught photoscenery. To make them not show an exclude is needed.

Read post 8 again in this thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Top Gun - yes, I understand that and, as Tiger said, these airfields seem to have been missed somehow in the excludes. In fact I've found two more in the same area of the UK that were also missed. That probably explains why someone, who knew of the problem, said, years ago, to disable those base areas.

All's well that ends well but it's good to have this Forum to tap into.

Archived