Hail (as in weather)

il88pp

Started to hail outside. Winter is coming.:)

~Made me realise, there's no hail in default fsx. At least, never saw it or heard it bouncing off my wings. Can't set it up in advanced weather either.

Used some freeware weather addons, but they never added it either.

Made me wonder, does ActiveSky add hail?

Is there something else that does?

Cheers,

il.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting! Thanks. Had expected that if anything added it it would be AS.

Can't remember ever wondering about hail in fsx before. Today we had a sudden hail shower here with some heavy thunder and lightning a well. Came on in an instant. Seemed like something a plane would struggle with. (i live almost under an approach path, large planes tend to fly over quite low here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting! Thanks. Had expected that if anything added it it would be AS.

Can't remember ever wondering about hail in fsx before. Today we had a sudden hail shower here with some heavy thunder and lightning a well. Came on in an instant. Seemed like something a plane would struggle with. (i live almost under an approach path, large planes tend to fly over quite low here.

Suggest research on the formation of hail. It's subject to a huge number of `if` `but` statements that lead to hail forming, depositing and/or reaching the ground. It's a very complex meteorological phenomenon.

Most weather engines read metars, and they produce a wide range of TAF abbreviations that are not replicated in the sim, not just hail. That's what I mean about simplistic weather engines.

No, FS does not have a hail effect programmed into it. If it did, weather programs such as Active Sky would be able to read the data from the METARs and then trigger the effect just as it does for rain and snow. It has nothing to do with the weather engines.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I'm sure that the guys from HiFi are reading this forum, so maybe they'll come up with something.

Jorgen

Since today and tomorrow about 1/3 of the country is predicted to be dealing with freezing rain, perhaps HiFi should consider adding freezing rain as well. ;)

And no, freezing rain isn't the same as hail at all. Give me hail over freezing rain anytime!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'll take hail over freezing rain any day also, and at this time we have some of both around here also.

Jorgen

UGH!!! GOOD LUCK!!The last time we had freezing rain in Kentucky most of the state was without electricity for a week + or -!! And the roads were almost all impassible for days!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You might have read about the cold snap we have here in Europe right now. It doesn't affect me that much, as I'm on the very northern edge of Germany, so close to Denmark that I can walk over there, and the city buses run across the border. We're on the coast of the westernmost corner of the Baltic, and the water acts as a buffer here.

But I have had continental climate and weather like yours before, when I lived in Missouri and Colorado - UGH is right!

Jorgen

I guess you could simulate the sound of hail during rain with a sound file in a beater aircraft. Replace one of the wind sounds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEiN29s2HuI

Here's another for that windscreen cracking hail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVt5Sv4oSno

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thanks for clarifying JSKorna.

That would mean it's "impossible". I try avoiding that word when it comes to fsx. I never know what the future may hold.:)

But I won't go chasing hail myself.;)

thanks Dogdish. A soundfile is an option. But I'm not good with those. Inside sounds, outside sounds, etc. Tricky.

Plus, would like to hear the sound change at different speeds and such. Don't think I could get it to sound very realistic.

Thanks all for your reactions. And be careful in that weather.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a thread on AVSIM about ASN and hail. The guy said the rain "looked different" and there was a sound like hail. Also, FSPassenger failed the spoilers on touchdown. He suspects hail damage caused this to happen.

You can find the thread HERE.

Hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hail is not necessarily a winter event. Some of your largest hailstones occur during the warm months.

Hail is formed as a raindrop is carried in an updraft above the freezing level in a thunderstorm. Then it is caught in a downdraft to below the freezing level where it is water coated. Again it is caught in an updraft and the new liquid water layer freezes. This process continues until it is caught in a downdraft which lets it fall to earth. If you cut through a hailstone, you would see these multiple layers of frozen water, similar to the layers in an onion.

This ends today's lesson in meteorology.

Yeah, back in the early 2000's sometime, two really big TRW's blew into Yuma a week apart. 6" rain each (3" is Yuma's normal annual total!), and some pretty fair sized hail stones. And this was what they call Monsoon season in Yuma. Late summer thru fall, so it was probably 105+ degrees F out. Fantastic lightning shows after sunset.

Hail, il! We who are about to fly salute you :D

That doesn't sound right somehow...

:D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The caption says this HP.42 was caught on the ground by a gale at Whitchurch (England) aerodrome in 1940, and it looks as if some hail must have been involved to shred the fabric-covered wings like that.

PS- I wonder how many aircraft crashes were caused by hail in the old days of fabric-covered wings? It'd certainly explain why so many went missing on pioneering transatlantic flights if hail shredded the wings when they inadvertently flew into it during the pitch black night sections of the flight-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/HP42-wreck.jpg

PS again- I just googled 'aircraft hail damage' and a bunch of pics came up including these with assorted dents and shattered windscreens-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/hail-damage_zpsjhfhwxxk.jpg~original

Archived