why does a 747 have a hump???

CessnaFlyer

for those of you wondering what the hump is for on the Boeing 747??? well her is your answer http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/a-study-shows-that-half-of-people-remember-things-that-didnt-happen/vi-AAlw9Gg?ocid=U453DHP watch this short clip that was forwarded to me and you to will have the answer:D
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

Is it not the hump because it's the first class cabin?

I thought the 'hump' was just extra premium seats. Is the 747 a double decker or only for the "hump" as I thought?

I thought the a380 was the only double decker. I guess I could be wrong

Yes, the 747 is a double decker, but not it's full length. just the "hump" is an upper deck, with access to the cockpit.

Originally, intended as a cargo bird, the upper deck permits the cockpit to sit still while the nose swings up to allow loading very large cargo. It didn't need to be very long to do that. But the airlines saw a nifty way to give first class a nice lounge area without taking any seats away on passenger versions of the plane, and away it went.

I think that yes, at the moment, the A380 is the only full length double-decker. Although the C-17 I believe has an upper deck set up for passengers. The C-5, and C-141, both have upper decks too, and iirc, the one on the 141 goes all the way down the length of the plane.

Did you know, that on the C-141, if you go to the far rear end of the upper deck, you can go through a pressure hatch, which then leads to a ladder that goes all the way to the top of the horizontal tailplane. Great place to go watch everyone else help the loadmaster :D

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

having never been on a real 747 does it still have the first class seating in the hump? or have they since removed that? seems to me the more passengers you can load the more money you would make. or do the more people they load the more fuel thy also need to get that beast in the air? lol
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

It's been a long time since I was on a 747. Last one I rode, the upper deck was still a first class lounge. The ones I was on, they also had a very nice bar/lounge area at the far aft end of the fuselage too. A small bar, surprizingly large open area to stretch your legs, and a fair number of restrooms on the back most wall of the fuselage. Real nice place for a young man (18) to hang out on a red-eye flight back from Hawaii to KSFO, while most everyone else was asleep. Very friendly, and bored, stewardesses hung out there too ;)

I believe that on the cargo version, it's a crew lounge, for those LONG flights. I don't know if they still do it, but they sometimes had a second flight crew on board, and would swap out at a certain point during the flight. The crew lounge was a place for the oncoming crew to wait, and the off-going crew to get some sleep after they were relieved.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I think on many airlines these days the upper deck is either first or business class seating, though some may still have lounges.

You're right. I flew on a Cathay -400 in '93 and the hump was all business class. First was in the forward part of the main deck. Also remember, the hump is much longer now than when the plane was designed in the 60s. On the original -100s, there wasn't enough room in the hump for much more than a lounge.

It's been a long time since I was on a 747...

Me too. But I still remember how stable the 747 flew ..all the way from the UK to Washington DC. And the landing was so smooth I never realised we'd already touched down. I was still waiting for the 'bump'.

;-)

• 1 month later...
The one video said the nose cargo door allowed easier loading of tall cargo, but I thought that was what the side cargo door was for since the flight deck resulted in a lower clearance for the nose door. Thought the nose cargo door made it easier to load long cargo rather than tall.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway four left, cleared for take-off.

Early 747's (100s, 200s) had coach seating on the lower deck all the way to just aft the nose. The "hump" was an upper deck that had first class seating, a little bar, and its own galley - the deck was reached via a spiral staircase. The whole thing was an attempt to get just as many folks on the aircraft as possible and provide a gimmick to entice 1st class fares on board. BA had some of the early aircraft on their Atlantic routes in the Eighties and I rode in the very first seat in coach on one flight with just a little bulkhead in front of me.

DJ

Archived