How do I edit or replace gauges in panels?

Hello fellow flight simmers!

So a while back I found out how to make AI planes flyable (Just add any panel to them) and I was able to make the Grumman G-21 Goose and Maule M-7-260c flyable, even though I DONT have Deluxe, I have just standard FSX.

The Aircraft both fly perfectly, except the Goose had a few sounds problems that I had to do, but anyways, to my surprise, the VCs in both aircraft actually work!

Except one problem, ALL Instruments are are black. The Interiors both work perfectly fine. Gauges are just black.

This leads me to assume that Microsoft intended on releasing both the Maule and Goose but didn't have time to release them so they set them aside for the Release of Deluxe.

But anyways, I was wondering on how can I edit or replace the Maule & Goose's default black gauges with maybe the Cessna 172 or Baron 58 Gauges.

Actually I asked CountryFlyboy on how to edit or replace gauges on a panel and he says he used a panel editing program to edit in a GPS stack into his Alejandro Lucena Cessna 310.

I think he also mentioned that I can edit in the gauges manually by editing the Panel cfg file and replacing the panel textures. I haven't tried this.

Anyone know any other way to edit the panels without buying a panel editor???

I'm not familiar with standard FSX. However, if Microsoft did not include a gauge CAB for the Maule and Goose, you could substitute 172 or Baron gauges by either copying their gauge CAB to your created PANEL folder or what I do is move the gauge CAB (Example 737, 747) from the aircrafts PANEL folder to the main GAUGE folder so that any plane can have access to it.

You would then have to substitute the corresponding gauge in the panel.cfg by copying the gauge name from the 172 or Baron panel.cfg

You might want to get FS Panel Studio if you do this a lot to make thing easier.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

adding cab alone won't do. Plane came without panel.cfg file.

you'd have to create [VCockpitXX] section(s), and write a line for each gauge, with coordinates, and size of the gauge.

open any panel.cfg file, and scroll to the bottom of the file to see how the vcockpit sections look.

first numbers after gauge name are coordinates, last two are size.

// at beginning of a line (two slashes) makes line a comment. it's not executed by fs.

makes it easy to switch a gauge off and see the result after loading plane in fs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He said he was using a substituted panel for the Goose and Maule, so I'm assuming he's got some form of panel.cfg in his created PANEL folder.

I'd post the Goose and Maule panel.cfg for you but that might be a no no but here is the Deluxe cab name for the Goose...

gauge00=Grumman_Goose_G21A!adf, 878,643

and here is the name for the Maule...

gauge00=Maule_M7_260C!altimeter, 511,364

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Yes I know, he said he's trying to create a substituted panel to fly the AI planes using the 172 or Baron which he DOES have...

If so change the corresponding panel.cfg gauge names to...

gauge00=Cessna!Altimeter, 346,167, 79, 79

...for the 172 or for the Baron...

gauge00=Beech_Baron!Annunciator Gear Up, 130, 22

You don't have to add panels to make an AI Goose flyable. I have FSX Standard and found a full Goose to fly with a 2D and VC. Same with the Maule.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/633-ozx-grumman-goose-hd-redux-120/

Sorry Jim, I didn't notice the same link as you posted!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Also found in library which might be helpful for Goose...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=137076

Yes option B is good too (and less work)... just find FSX Goose and Maule replacements like JJ and zippy suggested

Hi again Johnny,

Per your original post:

"This leads me to assume that Microsoft intended on releasing both the Maule and Goose but didn't have time to release them so they set them aside for the Release of Deluxe."

Standard and Deluxe were released on the same date. Standard included the stripped down Goose and Maule so they would be visible in multiplayer and also justify the cost difference between versions.

If you want to stick with Standard it might be a good idea to watch for the FSX Steam version to be on sale for less than $10 and copy many of the missing features of the Steam version to Standard. This would bring it up to Deluxe.

Jim F.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again Johnny,

Per your original post:

"This leads me to assume that Microsoft intended on releasing both the Maule and Goose but didn't have time to release them so they set them aside for the Release of Deluxe."

Standard and Deluxe were released on the same date. Standard included the stripped down Goose and Maule so they would be visible in multiplayer and also justify the cost difference between versions.

If you want to stick with Standard it might be a good idea to watch for the FSX Steam version to be on sale for less than $10 and copy many of the missing features of the Steam version to Standard. This would bring it up to Deluxe.

Jim F.

Yea guess that sounds more right. I actaully really want to get FSX:SE along with my standard FSX but im I dont think they can run together on the same computer.

This is from Steam...

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition (FSX: Steam Edition) is functionally similar to the boxed version of Microsoft Flight Simulator X (MSFSX). We have worked extensively with third party developers to make sure the two products can work alongside each other, however due to the wide range of add-on products available for MSFSX, we cannot guarantee that your existing content will work with Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition.

Then you could copy whatever you want from the Steam version to your boxed.

This is from Steam...

Then you could copy whatever you want from the Steam version to your boxed.

So I CAN run both FSX and FSX:SE on the same PC. If FSX:SE doesn't work along side FSX, can I uninstall it without harming my other FSX right?

I dont mind buying FSX:SE I just don't want any issues between them but sounds like they do work together on the same PC. I'll keep an eye out when FSX:SE is on sale.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted but I actually did find a Maule substitute. It's only for FS2004, but I was able to make it work and it works fantastic! I'm thinking of trying to move the gauges from it to the default since the gauges are arranges in a similar way.

Anyways about the goose HD Redux, the link currently doesn't work but might be a connection issue on my end. I'll give it a try later on but I am currently satisfied with my Maule substitute!

Been a while since I posted but I actually did find a Maule substitute. It's only for FS2004, but I was able to make it work and it works fantastic! I'm thinking of trying to move the gauges from it to the default since the gauges are arranges in a similar way.

Anyways about the goose HD Redux, the link currently doesn't work but might be a connection issue on my end. I'll give it a try later on but I am currently satisfied with my Maule substitute!

I just tried the Goose download. It works fine!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 3 weeks later...

Ok back again, which again, it's been awhile since I posted, but recently my PC accounts have been having serious issues, and I'm gonna reboot my PC in a few days before school starts again, which I think the reboot will delete my old FSX. If the reboot is successful, I'll be getting FSX Steam while it's on sale now for $10 (not getting payware addons). Although before rebooting I'm gonna save some of my FSX freeware onto a USB that I could one-by-one add to FSX steam when I get it to make sure each add-on works.

Also Merry Christmas! :D

Don't forget, also, when copying planes from FSX Box over to SE to include any gauge, effect, and sound files they may need that are not standard. A lot of planes, when you install them, install gauge files, for example, into the \FSX\gauges folder. If you don't bring them over to SE along with the plane, you won't have them in the cockpit. Same for effects files, sound files, and so on.

I made a shortcut on my desktop direct to the FSX:SE main folder, since it's kinda deep in the Steam directory structure. That way, I don't have to click on 5 or 6 folders to get to it. This makes moving things to it, editing files in it and so on, much quicker and easier.

I'm a lazy sob...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Simply rebooting your PC won't affect you installation of FSX in any way, nor will installing FSX:SE. It will run just fine alongside FSX Box. So you will have two different simulators, which are the same, on your computer. Does that make sense? Two versions of the same thing, that's better.

In any event, take heart. A reboot shouldn't affect ANY installed software you have on your HD. If it does, you have a HD going south on you.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Simply rebooting your PC won't affect you installation of FSX in any way, nor will installing FSX:SE. It will run just fine alongside FSX Box. So you will have two different simulators, which are the same, on your computer. Does that make sense? Two versions of the same thing, that's better.

In any event, take heart. A reboot shouldn't affect ANY installed software you have on your HD. If it does, you have a HD going south on you.

Pat☺

Too late. Already rebooted my PC which I kinda regret. I must have selected for a complete hard drive cleaning which wiped out our Windows 10 OS on our PC, so my FSX and EVERYTHING ON THE PC IS GONE. The PC still works, but we just need to reinstall Windows 7 or 10. We have our old Windows 7 install disks from when we bought our PC, but I might be able to make a Windows 10 boot USB using the media creation tool.

After reinstalling Windows 7 or 10 again, then I'll install Steam, and after my FSX Steam box code arrives, I'll be able to get FSX and install it on my PC and get back to flying! :D

In the event this type of thing would happen, I saved some of my favorite or rare freeware airplanes I had on a USB and when i get FSX Steam, I'll add those aircraft I saved.

I must have selected for a complete hard drive cleaning which wiped out our Windows 10 OS on our PC,

I have a funny feeling we're talking apples and oranges here.

Just to be clear: To "reboot" means to reset the OS software. A "warm boot" is when you just shut down and then restart the OS and reload all the things that normally load up during a normal start up. Drivers, BIOS settings, programs, all like that there. A "cold boot" is what you get after turning the PC off for any length of time, whether for 1 minute, or over night, or a week, or whatever, then turn it back on again. It then loads all the same things you do during a warm boot.

Nowhere that I've ever seen does cleaning the HD enter into the equation. That is normally done by things like CCleaner, Norton Utilities, and so on. Windows can do it as well, and will sometimes require a reboot afterwards, but rebooting alone doesn't delete or add anything.

Reformatting the HD will delete all software on that drive, eliminating everything from the OS on down, including most viri (that IS the correct plural of "virus"), malware and so on. It is normally what is done before the OS is loaded onto the computer's C: drive for the first time ever when it comes out of the factory, or before using a drive for the first time when you buy a new one. It permits the HD media, essentially, to be recognized by the computer, so it can read and write from and to it. It is at the time of formatting that Partitions are made, dividing a drive into smaller "logical drives", like C:, D:, and so one, whereas before there just one big drive. You must also make at least one drive, if more are to be created, "bootable", and load an OS onto it. You can do this with more than one drive, so you can boot into different OS's.

Again, nowhere does rebooting delete anything.

I suspect you overdid it with some kind of cleaner software, whether Windows, or third-party. Or something. I don't entirely understand just what you did, honestly. Is it perhaps that you are on network, which has a main HD it utilizes on a server, and you PC is only a bootable peripheral, so when you reboot your computer it wipes everything out and restarts it all off the server?

In any event, when you do load FSX:SE, and FSX Box, for that matter, make sure you do NOT load them into C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files(X86). Those are over-protected by Windows, and placing the sim(s) there can lead to lots of problems and frustration later on. Anywhere but those two folders is fine.

I hope this hels us understand each other better :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived