How do I edit or replace gauges in panels?

I have a funny feeling we're talking apples and oranges here.

Just to be clear: To "reboot" means to reset the OS software. A "warm boot" is when you just shut down and then restart the OS and reload all the things that normally load up during a normal start up. Drivers, BIOS settings, programs, all like that there. A "cold boot" is what you get after turning the PC off for any length of time, whether for 1 minute, or over night, or a week, or whatever, then turn it back on again. It then loads all the same things you do during a warm boot.

Nowhere that I've ever seen does cleaning the HD enter into the equation. That is normally done by things like CCleaner, Norton Utilities, and so on. Windows can do it as well, and will sometimes require a reboot afterwards, but rebooting alone doesn't delete or add anything.

Reformatting the HD will delete all software on that drive, eliminating everything from the OS on down, including most viri (that IS the correct plural of "virus"), malware and so on. It is normally what is done before the OS is loaded onto the computer's C: drive for the first time ever when it comes out of the factory, or before using a drive for the first time when you buy a new one. It permits the HD media, essentially, to be recognized by the computer, so it can read and write from and to it. It is at the time of formatting that Partitions are made, dividing a drive into smaller "logical drives", like C:, D:, and so one, whereas before there just one big drive. You must also make at least one drive, if more are to be created, "bootable", and load an OS onto it. You can do this with more than one drive, so you can boot into different OS's.

Again, nowhere does rebooting delete anything.

I suspect you overdid it with some kind of cleaner software, whether Windows, or third-party. Or something. I don't entirely understand just what you did, honestly. Is it perhaps that you are on network, which has a main HD it utilizes on a server, and you PC is only a bootable peripheral, so when you reboot your computer it wipes everything out and restarts it all off the server?

In any event, when you do load FSX:SE, and FSX Box, for that matter, make sure you do NOT load them into C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files(X86). Those are over-protected by Windows, and placing the sim(s) there can lead to lots of problems and frustration later on. Anywhere but those two folders is fine.

I hope this hels us understand each other better :D

Pat☺

After the reboot, I got this message: "An operating system wasn't found try disconnecting any drives".

Archived