FS2004 on Windows10

N_W01

Good afternoon all,

Firstly I'm a newbie here and first poster!

I've recently found FS2004 after being hidden away for years in my man drawer and decided to get it up and running again.

However, sadly with the new recent upgrade to Windows10, it appears that either FS2004 or W10 don't wish to work together in harmony.

It installs absolutely fine but when going to double click to start the program; I get nothing - no loading or whatever.

Any help or advice peeps?

Best regards,

Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums! First off, do a search here of fs2004 and Windows 10. Lots of info available on this subject.

Darrell

Thanks Darrell.

Sorry, I've joined the club on 'writing and not searching'

Best regards,

Nathan

Welcome to the forums! First off, do a search here of fs2004 and Windows 10. Lots of info available on this subject.

Darrell

Thanks Darrell,

Just done a search and found the link ref deleting the WU in order to get flying, however after searching for a while on my computer - nothing! I've tried right clicking on the FS2004 icon to try and 'run as administrator' but with no luck.

Hi Nathan,

Just be advised - if you have any Flight1 software - many of the Flight1 wrappers are incompatible with Win10 - so you have no way to install the products you purchased...

Best of luck - I've been contemplating a dual boot system as I miss my FS9...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Hello all from a new (newbie) member - have been flight-simming since about 1982 or so.

A lot of posts on many forums about FS2004 (FS9) not running under Windows 10. Had the same problem. Now have FS2004 running with all views/options under Windows but did it the hard way - I must be barking mad. !.

Flattened Windows 10 on my mid range PC (Lenovo H30.00) and installed Windows 7. Installed FS2004 but not in Program Files, made a separate folder. Ran the FS9.1 upgrade/patch. FS2004 worked pefectly. Installed Windows 10 with the option to keep apps/programs. Yee Haa and Coo-eee !. FS2004 runs perfectly with all options cranked up high. Seems the frame rate defaults to 10 fps, choppy. Made target frame rate 30 fps. It works perfectly. I run FS2004 windowed to have realistic panels/aircraft rather than full screen on my wide display monitor with everything elongated horizontally.

Then of course install all my programs/apps/files. In other words a full re-build but it is worth it to have FS2004 running under Windows 10.

Realistic sim flying - made my own rudder pedals. Pulled the Microsoft Sidewinder joystick apart - removed the rubber "pot" and built a rudder pedal set-up and tested many angles of input for the best rudder response. By using the rudder "pot" no new wiring needed, just spice extra length on. Not a pretty set of pedals but they work well in my humble opinion. I don't like "auto rudder"as it makes FS2004 more like an arcade game, not real flying. Boast, boast, I flew a Tupelov TU-95 "Bear" under the Sydney harbour Bridge with maximum aircraft difficulty level and thunderstorm and set the cross wind at the maximum of 36 knots (41.4 mph). Interesting is the word.

I must be nuts or just love FS2004 and maximum flying "feel" and to flatten my OS, go back to Windows 7 just to install FS2004 says yes, I am probably barking mad nuts. Oh, FS2004 will run under Windows 8.1.

Enough, I ramble on (apologies to Led Zeppellin).

Cheers from an old FS enthusiastic.

Old Aussie (Mark).

• 1 month later...
Sure hoping someone can help me. My computer forced the Windows 10 update on me. It ran the update without me ever agreeing and now too late to undo it as more than 30 days have passed. I tried to run FS2004 with no luck. I have tried everything recommended. Set to Run as Administrator, set compatibility mode to Windows 7 (which is what I had and it worked fine then), downloaded and installed No CD patch, downloaded and installed 9.1 patch. Game will load, by using CTRL-ALT-DELETE I can get to the main screen with Cessna 172 picture frozen. If I select any other airplane, the box turns black. I can load a flight and hear the engines but no picture at all. I have gone into display settings in the game and tried nearly every setting. I have verified that my Radeon HD6570.O has the latest drivers. I have barked at the moon and brushed a monkey's paw across the monitor. At this point I am considering whether a martini may help me even if the game is a lost cause. Any ideas of a fix that still remains for me to try?

Any ideas of a fix that still remains for me to try?

Yeah, google win 10 hidden admin account:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=win+10+hidden+admin+account

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Again this sounds as if its in full screen mode which tends to be the norm when first running FS9 or FSX. Try selecting ALT+ENTER to get back to windowed mode. If that works then do the fs9.cfg method - delete it & let it remake a newer version.

Keith

Hey!

Apart from a few minor things, I have one BIG PROBLEM with FS2004 and Windows10. I.e. From time to time I get a Bluescreen Error since I have Windows 10. It repairs itself, but each time I get the message , that I can afterwards see the explanations about the TCPIP.SYS error. I was asking the solution at several fora, but none of them could help me. Is there anybody here who can tell me what to do? This had suddenly started to happen after I switched over to Windows 10 ( from Windows 7 with not such errors ).

It would be nice if somebody could really help me?

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

• 1 month later...

What I found:

I used standard installation, as well as install in C:\FS9 directory.

Turned UAC down

Activate administrator account for this install.

My pre Windows 10 installs of FS2004 (2x installed in their default directories), as well as this new install both work perfectly.

What is Windows security fix?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

If that is all you found then you really didn't look much.

The security fix comes from the fact that SafeDisk is no longer supported by MS. So that means when you put the CD in your drive and click to start FS9 nothing happens. You need to:

1. Make sure FS9 is patched to FS9.1.

2. Use the FS9 NoCD work around. Using Google will lead to to places to download that one file.

Then FS9 will work with Win 10.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

have seen many pro and against posts. So can someone please check my strategy (below) when I will be loading FS9 to my new W10 computer.

1/ Will use the four original discs to load FS to a file on C drive (FS2004) not to the Program Files.

2/ Will upgrade to V9.1

3/ Replace the default FS.exe with No CD file.

Now the fun starts since my FS is up to 36GB in add-on scenery, aircraft etc (all backed up)

4/ Plan to copy all the Add-on scenery, aircraft, gauges, effects and replace the scenery.cfg file (reflecting all the add-on scenery I installed)

5/ Copy the modules like FSUIPC into modules folder

6/ Copy the sound files including (USEnglishASOS, USEnglishBig.gvp, Evp_Accelerated) to get all transferred from the voice pack.

7/ Copy in all the Texture enhancement files I had previously installed into appropriate texture files, including the flattens I created.

8/ Replace the Scenery/World/Scenery folder to get all my AI traffic.

I think that is it. Any views would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Over all, it sounds like you have a good plan. :)

One thing you may want to consider, try not to do a "bulk re-install". Start with what you consider to be your "core files". Install them one at a time then test to be sure they work.

With scenery, aircraft, and AI, use this re-install as an opportunity to audit your old files. Are there files (aircraft types/scenery locations) you just don't use as much as you once did? Either you lost interest or found something better to replace them? It can be tough to decide what gets installed and what gets left behind, but I like to use these re-installs on a new machine to keep the "deadwood" files to a minimum.

• 11 months later...

Yes you can.

You can get a no-cd crack for fs9. Find the no-cd crack (it's on another rival Flight Simulator site so I won't mention it on this forum; check other web sites as well), replace the original fs9.exe with the new one and launch without Disc 4.

Archived